The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2022, 10:37:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2022, 10:37:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Besides New Age Music,etc.  (Read 14611 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: June 24, 2007, 02:10:13 am »

And of course, there's always Irish folksinger Loreena McKennit. (At least, I'm pretty sure she's Pagan - she may have denied it at times.)
There is a pretty firm denial in the liner notes of The Visit (the album that has "All Soul's Night", and "Tango to Evora" which was used on the soundtrack of... hmm, can't remember which movie of that set, either "Goddess Remembered" or "The Burning Times").

The thing to keep in mind (for this whole thread, so this isn't just directed at Malkin) is that a musical artist can be inspired, perhaps very deeply, by our themes and motifs, without practicing any of our religions.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 24, 2007, 07:42:50 am »

There's a Goth/Industrial band by the name of Inkkubus Sukkubus who is quite openly Wiccan, with religious songs. (They've got a myspace.)

I listen to them a lot, actually. I was just wondering about APC because (for me) listening to Magdalena is a religious experience.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: June 24, 2007, 08:24:48 pm »

If you can find the albums, there's the occultist experimental rock group Psychic TV, led by Genesis Breyer P-Orridge. (He's the guy who founded Thee Temple of Psychick Youth (sic)) Again, not Pagan, but...definitely out there in magick land. Grin

He's an occultist type, yes.

Going that direction of music, you'll find a definite Pagan or two within Genesis' Psychic TV's first incarnation - late Coil's late Jhonn Balance. His partner, former member of Psychic TV and current member of re-formed Throbbing Gristle, Peter Christopherson, is also an occultist, but hasn't lately self-defined as Pagan. He didn't deny it earlier either, it was just Jhonn was the more vocal one in Coil interviews.

Also of PTV fist incarnation fame, you'll find Current 93 headman David Tibet (who's not apparently Pagan anymore / again / for a change - sometimes you can't make head or tails of him) and through him Current 93. That band's line up has included / includes artists like Freya Aswynn, the current OTO frater superior, Tony Wakeford of Sol Invictus (who writes very Pagan - mostly Norse influenced - lyrics and has said to me in an interview I did years ago that he is a Pagan), Austin Osman Spare -influenced Steven Stapleton...

... but I've gotten way out of "mainstream" by now.  Grin

Fausta Acilia Mus
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: July 12, 2007, 11:43:10 pm »

I know, I don't recall him ever really putting a label on himself except that short lived stint of being a self proclaimed satanist. I'm not sure if it was in honesty or just a jest at the media and their already concrete perception of who they are sure he is,lol. i fond him fascinating, especially his book he wrote. Very disturbing but I feel he is too intelligent to dismiss soley on person feelings about him. Even if you hate him, i'd recommend to anyone reading his book. It gave me alot to think about which came as a surprise to many people I know and who,although they like his music, don't care for him personally. Anothe surprise was that most of them enjoy the intellectual parts of his book.

I never read his book (but I might if I run across it) but I remember a few semesters ago, my College Comp. teacher showed a clip of "Bowling for Columbine" and EVERYONE in that class remarked on how much Manson (and to a lesser degree Matt Stone) seemed more intelligent than the guy who ran the local weapons plant.

But Pagan artist...The only one I know for sure is Sully from Godsmack, but I've heard rumors that Tori Amos is one.  Not quite sure if they are true or not.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)