The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2021, 02:54:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2021, 02:54:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The New DOCTOR WHO  (Read 17046 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 27, 2011, 01:08:33 pm »

Her name is Catherine Tate.

That's it! Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 27, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »

But do you agree there has been a lack of decent SF shows recently?

I forgot to mention Eureka. I really enjoy that show's kinder, gentler, smarter take. Mayberry for geeks. But their seasons are so erratic, I sometimes wonder if they've been canceled and I just didn't know it.

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 27, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »

I'll probably try the British Being Human.  I tried the American version and wasn't impressed. 

I haven't tried Fringe yet.  I've heard/read that it is more like X-Files or Torchwood, two series that I did not like.  Anyone else recommend that one?  Supernatural is one I've been considering giving another chance.  I've only watched a couple of early episodes, but I've been told they got better.  Lost Girl I've never even heard of.  I do like Sanctuary however, at least as far as I have watched it.

Sadly the only thing I've found worth watching on TV is Mythbusters and Doctor Who.

So, not on TV, but a good English show to watch  is Children of the Stones. It was filmed in the seventies (I think). It's a miniseries, and though it's aimed at young adults, I found it absolutely amazing. Cheezy at times, but very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #33: April 27, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »

Lost Girl I've never even heard of.

It's a Canadian fantasy show.  It's much better than the IMDb summary makes it sound.  I've seen the first season and am waiting for the second to start.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429449/

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #34: April 28, 2011, 04:39:55 am »

I'm thinking of tv, obviously.  I haven't managed to find the radio plays to listen to.

They truly are excellent. Well worth the listen and some very very interesting stories. Their canonicity is undetermined though.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #35: April 28, 2011, 04:48:58 am »

Eccleston and Tennant both worked for me. And yes, they could both be high-handed...but almost never with their friends. Smith just seems to throw it around to almost everyone, except perhaps Amy Pond.

Patrick Troughton was my first Doctor and I have liked as pects of them all. I think that Matt Smith harks back to some of the least likeable qualities of the first Doctor (William Hartnell) and the third (Jon Pertwee). They.ve all been capable of great arrogance and coldness on occaision (although Tom Baker less so than the others).

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #36: April 28, 2011, 09:47:16 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about Smith yet. I'll withhold judgment, I've only seen the one episode and that's not nearly enough time for me to get a feel for the character.

I'm thinking I really, really like Smith's Doctor. He's in the running to be one of my favorites of all the Doctors. He does have that arrogance that I hated in Colin Baker, but it's muted by something else that makes it not annoying to me.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #37: April 28, 2011, 10:28:58 pm »

I'm thinking I really, really like Smith's Doctor. He's in the running to be one of my favorites of all the Doctors. He does have that arrogance that I hated in Colin Baker, but it's muted by something else that makes it not annoying to me.

I'm only familiar with the new Doctors, but I am fond of all three of them. The first few episodes after the regeneration was tough in both cases, but I do like them all. I do agree that they've all had a certain amount of arrogance, but I think that comes with the territory of living as long as he has and seeing and doing as much as he has. Donna was very good about grounding him, and as much as she annoyed me (she was brilliant, but annoying at the same time for me) I hope we get another companion that can do that again. River does a bit, but the flirtatious aspect of her interactions with him almost seem to cancel it out, imo.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: April 30, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »

Having just seen the second half of the second season (of Matt Smith) opener, I'm somewhat encouraged.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

The fact that the seeds for The Silence were planted last season...the great tension between Rory and the Doctor...and, of course, that final revelatory quip between Canton and Nixon...all of it gives me hope for the writing. Not to mention the pregnancy/regenerating kid mystery!

I still don't care for Matt Smith's Doctor much, but we'll see.

sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: May 02, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »

I just watched it too, and I thought it was a lot better than the others so far. I missed a few, so I'll have to go back and catch up now. Roll Eyes Darn you guys, getting me hooked again! Cheesy
spearandhammer
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:55:30 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 12, 2011, 07:26:52 am »

I long for the days of Russell T. Davies' tenure, with Martha Jones, Donna Noble, plots that made sense, stories that kicked ass ("Blink"), and a Doctor who wasn't like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I was never a die hard fan.  But like most Americans who watched it, I saw the Tom Baker years on PBS and found it interesting enough to watch.  So when the new Who came out I gave it a shot. 

I watched it mostly because of Tennant, who I thought was a brilliant actor.  He is by far my favorite doctor.   

I don't hate Smith, but he is no Tennant.   More importantly, the writing of the Smith era has completely stunk.  The plots make little to no sense, and are usually resolved in the last 5 minutes by some technobabble answer that again makes no sense. 

Well, as of the last episode that aired "A Good Man Goes to War" I am officially done watching.  That was a complete load of garbage.   They need to completely reboot the franchise with new writers at the helm. 
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 12, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »

Well, as of the last episode that aired "A Good Man Goes to War" I am officially done watching.  That was a complete load of garbage.   They need to completely reboot the franchise with new writers at the helm. 

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

I had very mixed feelings about "A Good Man Goes to War." Moffat (the writer) seems to want to throw you in the middle of the story every single time, throw completely new and unexplained material at you, and expect you to swallow it all without a hiccup. Sometimes that works, adding a sense of excitement, but in a sort-of season finale, where you very much want to savor what's going on and why, it was mostly infuriating.

Who the hell are "the Headless Monks"? What can they do, and why are they against the Doctor? Why is Moffat wasting limited climactic episode time showing someone become one of the monks if he's not going to explain the significance of that act or its relevance to who these monks are and what their agenda is?

Who the hell is this military unit from Earth? Why are they gunning for the Doctor? In what era is this taking place?

(Compare that to the Russell T. Davies' Torchwood, originally a secret gov't agency gunning for the Doctor; it was well-established for viewers well before the climactic ep in which it struck; its origins--created by Queen Victoria in response to an encounter with the Doctor--were clear; and the time frame when it struck--the contemporary era--was also clear.)

Who the hell are the Homo reptilius*/human lesbian sword duo, the fat blue man, the Sontaran nurse?? Did I miss these eps, or were they pulled from thin air? And since they seem like they were pulled out of thin air, I don't care one wit what happens to them.

(Compare that to the "Daleks abduct Earth" season finale in the Davies era, when all the Doctor's recent companions banded together to do battle with him and were thus in harm's way; I cared what might happen to each and every one of them.)

Moreover, there was no build-up in the banding together of this crew; they're introduced in time-confused vignettes (or in the case of the space pirates, whom I *did* recognize from a previous ep, are not introduced at all and are only glimpsed for .5 sec) and dumped together to do we're not sure what to bring about the Doctor's "never soared higher" moment, which was singularly unimpressive, IMHO. If you want things to have impact, they can't just happen; they have to happen in some sort of context, and the entire Devils Run events lacked all but the most rudimentary context.

How did the military team abduct Amy without her or any one else knowing? How did they know she was pregnant??

Yes, River being the daughter of Amy and Rory is a cool twist. No, it's not cool to say that there are no ponds in a forest, only rivers; it's just nonsensical.

I could go on, but it's too irritating, because there was the potential for a really great episode in there. When I found out in the previous episode that "Amy" was Flesh, I had such high hopes.

*Homo reptilius is an idiotic name for a species of intelligent dinosaurs from Earth, if you know the slightest thing about scientific names, which the Doctor should. But we'll just let that slide.

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 12, 2011, 05:27:24 pm »

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

I had very mixed feelings about "A Good Man Goes to War." Moffat (the writer) seems to want to throw you in the middle of the story every single time, throw completely new and unexplained material at you, and expect you to swallow it all without a hiccup. Sometimes that works, adding a sense of excitement, but in a sort-of season finale, where you very much want to savor what's going on and why, it was mostly infuriating.

Who the hell are "the Headless Monks"? What can they do, and why are they against the Doctor? Why is Moffat wasting limited climactic episode time showing someone become one of the monks if he's not going to explain the significance of that act or its relevance to who these monks are and what their agenda is?

Who the hell is this military unit from Earth? Why are they gunning for the Doctor? In what era is this taking place?

(Compare that to the Russell T. Davies' Torchwood, originally a secret gov't agency gunning for the Doctor; it was well-established for viewers well before the climactic ep in which it struck; its origins--created by Queen Victoria in response to an encounter with the Doctor--were clear; and the time frame when it struck--the contemporary era--was also clear.)

Who the hell are the Homo reptilius*/human lesbian sword duo, the fat blue man, the Sontaran nurse?? Did I miss these eps, or were they pulled from thin air? And since they seem like they were pulled out of thin air, I don't care one wit what happens to them.

(Compare that to the "Daleks abduct Earth" season finale in the Davies era, when all the Doctor's recent companions banded together to do battle with him and were thus in harm's way; I cared what might happen to each and every one of them.)

Moreover, there was no build-up in the banding together of this crew; they're introduced in time-confused vignettes (or in the case of the space pirates, whom I *did* recognize from a previous ep, are not introduced at all and are only glimpsed for .5 sec) and dumped together to do we're not sure what to bring about the Doctor's "never soared higher" moment, which was singularly unimpressive, IMHO. If you want things to have impact, they can't just happen; they have to happen in some sort of context, and the entire Devils Run events lacked all but the most rudimentary context.

How did the military team abduct Amy without her or any one else knowing? How did they know she was pregnant??

Yes, River being the daughter of Amy and Rory is a cool twist. No, it's not cool to say that there are no ponds in a forest, only rivers; it's just nonsensical.

I could go on, but it's too irritating, because there was the potential for a really great episode in there. When I found out in the previous episode that "Amy" was Flesh, I had such high hopes.

*Homo reptilius is an idiotic name for a species of intelligent dinosaurs from Earth, if you know the slightest thing about scientific names, which the Doctor should. But we'll just let that slide.

I found the flesh two parter tedious - aside from the end reveal - but in general I absolutely and completely prefer Moffet as the head writer/show runner. His arcs are far more coherent and planned, there's less idiotic melodrama etc.

Regarding the forest he only said there wasn't a pond in THAT forest. Just sayin' Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
spearandhammer
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:55:30 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 12, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »

The fat blue man was shown very briefly, once before.  He was a black market dealer with whom River Song had a short business venture.   It was set in the year 5000 or something.   

I believe the military force is the militarized group of clerics that we saw in the "Time of Angels."  I'm not sure though as it is never really stated.

The Sontaran nurse and the reptile/lesbian duo are beyond me, unless they happened in the Tom Baker years or prior.   

I agree with you, there was just too much thrown in that was not explained.    I didn't care about anything happening.  As I said, I'm done unless they completely reboot the series.       For those of you who still plan to watch ... enjoy (if that is the right word).   
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 12, 2011, 06:36:21 pm »

The fat blue man was shown very briefly, once before.  He was a black market dealer with whom River Song had a short business venture.   It was set in the year 5000 or something.   

I believe the military force is the militarized group of clerics that we saw in the "Time of Angels."  I'm not sure though as it is never really stated.

The Sontaran nurse and the reptile/lesbian duo are beyond me, unless they happened in the Tom Baker years or prior.   

I agree with you, there was just too much thrown in that was not explained.    I didn't care about anything happening.  As I said, I'm done unless they completely reboot the series.       For those of you who still plan to watch ... enjoy (if that is the right word).   

I think the blue guy was in another episode as well but I don't recall for sure off hand. We were thoroughly introduced to the Sontaran's and their culture previous in the DT years, I think the nurse was a call back to that as well as weird comic relief/sympathy. I'm 99% sure the dinosaur woman and her sidekick will be back. (I am drawing a blank on her actual species name but they and she were introduced in Smith's first season they were the first sentient species on Earth but went literally underground when the dinosaur killing cataclysm struck).

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)