The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 09:27:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 09:27:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The New DOCTOR WHO  (Read 17250 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 12, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

I think the blue guy was in another episode as well but I don't recall for sure off hand. We were thoroughly introduced to the Sontaran's and their culture previous in the DT years, I think the nurse was a call back to that as well as weird comic relief/sympathy. I'm 99% sure the dinosaur woman and her sidekick will be back. (I am drawing a blank on her actual species name but they and she were introduced in Smith's first season they were the first sentient species on Earth but went literally underground when the dinosaur killing cataclysm struck).

I'm familiar with Sontarans, just not with this Sontaran nurse, which doesn't seem to be ringing bells for you either. Similarly, I remember the dinosaur eps well (as I alluded to previously, Homo reptilius is the species name, however idiotic that may be); but this specific dinosaur woman (prowling the sewers of London exacting revenge on humankind for the perceived murder of her sisters, before the Doctor found her.... What?! When??) and her sapphic sidekick are unknown to me.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 12, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »

I'm familiar with Sontarans, just not with this Sontaran nurse, which doesn't seem to be ringing bells for you either. Similarly, I remember the dinosaur eps well (as I alluded to previously, Homo reptilius is the species name, however idiotic that may be); but this specific dinosaur woman (prowling the sewers of London exacting revenge on humankind for the perceived murder of her sisters, before the Doctor found her.... What?! When??) and her sapphic sidekick are unknown to me.

Pretty sure she's the one that the doc talked out of attacking humanity but that could just be me.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #47: June 12, 2011, 08:40:48 pm »

I'm familiar with Sontarans, just not with this Sontaran nurse, which doesn't seem to be ringing bells for you either.

Was it a male nurse?  I had the idea that the Sontarans were all clones, and all male.  Their planet was one of the ones stolen by the Daleks and only the military types still in space were left in our universe.  They were involved in a war at the time (and possibly still) and turned to cloning to carry on.

I think most of that might have been explained on The Sarah Jane Adventures rather than Doctor Who.  They weren't very worried about Sarah or her sidekicks because they were women and children and therefore couldn't be warriors.  (it's possible I might be remembering this from the Pertwee years, rather than TSJA or New Who)

I suppose once the stolen planets reappeared the female Sontarans could have started going into space as well.  Since Rory is a nurse, and male, and I haven't seen the episode in question, I automatically thought male nurse, but now I'm curious.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 12, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »

Was it a male nurse?  I had the idea that the Sontarans were all clones, and all male.  Their planet was one of the ones stolen by the Daleks and only the military types still in space were left in our universe.  They were involved in a war at the time (and possibly still) and turned to cloning to carry on.

I think most of that might have been explained on The Sarah Jane Adventures rather than Doctor Who.  They weren't very worried about Sarah or her sidekicks because they were women and children and therefore couldn't be warriors.  (it's possible I might be remembering this from the Pertwee years, rather than TSJA or New Who)

I suppose once the stolen planets reappeared the female Sontarans could have started going into space as well.  Since Rory is a nurse, and male, and I haven't seen the episode in question, I automatically thought male nurse, but now I'm curious.

Absent

Yes he was male and being punished by acting as a nurse. I don't recall his transgression. Honestly I think he was just there to bring back the Sontarans and introduce more of their culture and add some comedy.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: June 12, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »

Was it a male nurse?

Yup, the Sontaran nurse was male.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 12, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »

Honestly I think he was just there to bring back the Sontarans and introduce more of their culture and add some comedy.

Which is a problem for me, introducing this character like we're supposed to know who he is, in a pivotal episode.

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 12, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »

Which is a problem for me, introducing this character like we're supposed to know who he is, in a pivotal episode.

But they didn't I mean the doctor was supposed to know but it's pretty much canon that the doctor as well as Amy and Rory have had adventures off screen and his back story etc is introduced via his convo with the ill boy etc. We know as much as we need to for his purpose in the episode. Not everything in every episode is a call back etc.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 12, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »

But they didn't I mean the doctor was supposed to know but it's pretty much canon that the doctor as well as Amy and Rory have had adventures off screen and his back story etc is introduced via his convo with the ill boy etc. We know as much as we need to for his purpose in the episode. Not everything in every episode is a call back etc.

Agreed, for a standard ep; but in a pivotal ep, I think that approach fails miserably.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 13, 2011, 02:09:47 am »

Agreed, for a standard ep; but in a pivotal ep, I think that approach fails miserably.

I don't agree, sorry. Everything that you needed to know was explained. Dorian (the blue guy) stated that 'there are people all over the galaxy that owe him a debt- God help you if he has decided to collect. And God help his debtors'. The Sontaran debt goes back to the clone batch that tried to turn Earth into a clone world. The TARDIS, when in Idris, said that 'the only water in the forest is the river', obviously referring to the Gamma Forest (a forest planet) which explains Lorna Bucket. The Dr has run into the Silurians (reptile people) on a couple of occasions, so that is quite easily explained too. For an episode that is only halfway through  series (which it is, even if the series is split in two) it answered a lot of questions. Don't forget, some things may be clues for future episodes, too. It doesn't have to be linear in this show!

Not that you can tell, but me, my family and friends that all watch Dr Who together all loved it!  Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 13, 2011, 02:16:40 am »

I don't agree, sorry. Everything that you needed to know was explained. Dorian (the blue guy) stated that 'there are people all over the galaxy that owe him a debt- God help you if he has decided to collect. And God help his debtors'. The Sontaran debt goes back to the clone batch that tried to turn Earth into a clone world. The TARDIS, when in Idris, said that 'the only water in the forest is the river', obviously referring to the Gamma Forest (a forest planet) which explains Lorna Bucket. The Dr has run into the Silurians (reptile people) on a couple of occasions, so that is quite easily explained too. For an episode that is only halfway through  series (which it is, even if the series is split in two) it answered a lot of questions. Don't forget, some things may be clues for future episodes, too. It doesn't have to be linear in this show!

Not that you can tell, but me, my family and friends that all watch Dr Who together all loved it!  Wink

Smiley I grew up on PBS eps in the states - my English Dad introduced it to my brother's and I - and I was reticent about the new series' at first but man, I am loving' the latest stuff Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:31:47 am by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode Fixed » Logged

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 13, 2011, 05:38:42 am »

I don't agree, sorry. Everything that you needed to know was explained. Dorian (the blue guy) stated that 'there are people all over the galaxy that owe him a debt- God help you if he has decided to collect. And God help his debtors'. The Sontaran debt goes back to the clone batch that tried to turn Earth into a clone world. The TARDIS, when in Idris, said that 'the only water in the forest is the river', obviously referring to the Gamma Forest (a forest planet) which explains Lorna Bucket. The Dr has run into the Silurians (reptile people) on a couple of occasions, so that is quite easily explained too. For an episode that is only halfway through  series (which it is, even if the series is split in two) it answered a lot of questions. Don't forget, some things may be clues for future episodes, too. It doesn't have to be linear in this show!

Not that you can tell, but me, my family and friends that all watch Dr Who together all loved it!  Wink

I realize that most of the above was mentioned in the ep; I just don't feel that it was sufficient to make the ep effective. For example, with the Silurians (thanks for that; all I could remember was the Doctor's use of Homo reptilius, which really bugs me), yeah, we know he's encountered the species before, but who is this specific individual? She landed with a great big thud in my book, rather than seeming integrated into the show.

And yes, hopefully we'll learn more about the "Headless Monks" in future episodes. That doesn't absolve the writers from giving us enough info now to make their appearance in the ep feel meaningful, rather than just we-need-cannon-fodder-of-the-week-and-if-they-wear-robes-the-Doctor-can-hide-under-one-and-won't-that-be-nifty!

(You can probably tell there were some things about the ep that just bugged the hell out of me.)

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #56: June 13, 2011, 05:42:57 am »

I realize that most of the above was mentioned in the ep; I just don't feel that it was sufficient to make the ep effective. For example, with the Silurians (thanks for that; all I could remember was the Doctor's use of Homo reptilius, which really bugs me), yeah, we know he's encountered the species before, but who is this specific individual? She landed with a great big thud in my book, rather than seeming integrated into the show.

And yes, hopefully we'll learn more about the "Headless Monks" in future episodes. That doesn't absolve the writers from giving us enough info now to make their appearance in the ep feel meaningful, rather than just we-need-cannon-fodder-of-the-week-and-if-they-wear-robes-the-Doctor-can-hide-under-one-and-won't-that-be-nifty!

(You can probably tell there were some things about the ep that just bugged the hell out of me.)

I can understand that perspective and there may be some truth to it - the nature of television and budgets being what they are - but I find that Moffet handles the introduction etc of oh-by-the-way characters and their follow up far more thoughtfully and competently than Davies. Moffet is great at making average very normal, even boring but universal human experiences super creepy and likewise making characters that should be outlandish somehow pretty human. IMO of course. I really enjoyed the episode particularly after the clunker/tedious two parter with the Flesh.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)