The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 31, 2020, 03:40:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2020, 03:40:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to Knit! (Also to Bead.)  (Read 1280 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 26, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »

The craft-bug has caught up with me, finally - a little less than a year after I learned to macrame hemp jewelry, I finally learned how to bead proper, AND I've settled on learning how to knit. I made a scarf once, but that was my freshman year of college (I'm soon to be a senior, now) and the hobby never stuck. I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics today and bought knitting needles, some TARDIS-blue yarn, a whole bunch of pendants and beads, and a big tackle box to store my jewelry.

Any suggestions of websites to get started, or really simple projects for newbies?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 27, 2011, 07:38:05 am »

The craft-bug has caught up with me, finally - a little less than a year after I learned to macrame hemp jewelry, I finally learned how to bead proper, AND I've settled on learning how to knit. I made a scarf once, but that was my freshman year of college (I'm soon to be a senior, now) and the hobby never stuck. I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics today and bought knitting needles, some TARDIS-blue yarn, a whole bunch of pendants and beads, and a big tackle box to store my jewelry.

Any suggestions of websites to get started, or really simple projects for newbies?

For knitting, go with Ravelry (www.ravelry.com) - there's TONS of patterns, lots of them free, tons of advice, etc.

As far as easy projects, I like dishcloths.  They're small, they're useful when you're done, and if you make a mess, who cares! Cheesy  But if the yarn you have is acrylic, dishcloths won't work too well. Wink  In that case I'd consider a scarf.  But really - find something you WANT to do.  If you want it, you'll figure it out.  If you don't care about the project .. it'll fall to the wayside.

There's also some AMAZING stuff involving beaded knitting that I've been eyeing with a certain amount of trepidation for some time now .. One of these days .... Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 27, 2011, 10:36:13 am »

For knitting, go with Ravelry (www.ravelry.com) - there's TONS of patterns, lots of them free, tons of advice, etc.

Thank you, O Mighty Knitting Sage of the Cauldron. Grin I'm going to lose my entire day poking around that site, aren't I?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 27, 2011, 11:03:14 am »

Thank you, O Mighty Knitting Sage of the Cauldron. Grin I'm going to lose my entire day poking around that site, aren't I?

It is an excellent site! (Both for content, and because I'm continually impressed about how they make social networking work for their focus. I am, perhaps unsurprisingly, Jenett over there too.)

I've picked up knitting again in a big way the last few months: I did a scarf and a shawl, and am now working on another shawl. The pattern search thing on Ravelry is awesome, and can give you an idea of what you can do with particular ideas.

I second Shad's comment about dishcloths as a quick project that can be good for learning skills on (and a ball or two of cotton yarn is pretty cheap, and will make several dishcloths.)

One of the things to think about as you try stuff is what you enjoy doing. I turn out to enjoy knitting I don't really have to think about - which means that very simple patterns make me happier, and right now, more complex ones are more thinking than I want to do while knitting. I have friends who think complex lacework is the most awesome thing ever (or socks, or whatever), and ... y'know. That's not me right now, and that's fine. (Hence, shawls. The pattern I'm doing again is absurdly simple once you figure out how it works.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 27, 2011, 11:41:15 am »

If you manage to escape after only one day, you're not trying hard enough. Cheesy

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 27, 2011, 11:42:13 am »

One of the things to think about as you try stuff is what you enjoy doing. I turn out to enjoy knitting I don't really have to think about - which means that very simple patterns make me happier, and right now, more complex ones are more thinking than I want to do while knitting. I have friends who think complex lacework is the most awesome thing ever (or socks, or whatever), and ... y'know. That's not me right now, and that's fine. (Hence, shawls. The pattern I'm doing again is absurdly simple once you figure out how it works.)

LAAAAAACE!  Lace SOCKS!

*looks around furtively* ... what?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)