The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 06:56:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:56:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADF Members: The Dedicant Program  (Read 6005 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 27, 2011, 12:52:23 am »

Is anyone here following Michael J Dangler's "The ADF Dedicant Program Through The Wheel of the Year"  If so, what week are you on?  Do you like his approach or would you suggest something different?  If no, what approach are you using to meet the requirements?

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 27, 2011, 01:20:40 am »

Is anyone here following Michael J Dangler's "The ADF Dedicant Program Through The Wheel of the Year"  If so, what week are you on?  Do you like his approach or would you suggest something different?  If no, what approach are you using to meet the requirements?

I started to but have strayed a bit. It's a useful guide to keep you progressing. I picked up the workbook as well and am glad I did as its nice to have a hardcopy guide to refresh myself when I do more work etc.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Celtag
Journeyman
Last Login:August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan/Welsh Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 27, 2011, 01:28:43 am »

I'm completing the dedicants program by basically, breaking it into parts. I have already finished reading two of my required books, and have written the reports. I am working on other parts, but I usually work one part at a time, then move on to the next part and so on.
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 27, 2011, 01:30:34 am »

I started to but have strayed a bit. It's a useful guide to keep you progressing. I picked up the workbook as well and am glad I did as its nice to have a hardcopy guide to refresh myself when I do more work etc.

Agreed. I've found the workbook really helpful in helping me complete the requirements, though I might try another approach just for fun. :p  I think the workbook fleshes out the reqs more, so that the person can easily get more meaning out of them, then just "plug and play"   I suppose I'm on Week 9, but I haven't finished some of the weeks. I tend to skip around a lot.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 27, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »

Agreed. I've found the workbook really helpful in helping me complete the requirements, though I might try another approach just for fun. :p  I think the workbook fleshes out the reqs more, so that the person can easily get more meaning out of them, then just "plug and play"   I suppose I'm on Week 9, but I haven't finished some of the weeks. I tend to skip around a lot.

Making it fun and engaging is certainly key Smiley I'm working on reading and doing the book reports because I enjoy that sort of work and it seems 'easy' to get out of the way. I'm a bit stymied regarding the meditation work though. Definitely an uphill work load there Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo
« Reply #5: April 27, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »

I am. I'm in week 5 (I stalled out as it's the near the end of the school year and there was a bunch of homeschooling stuff to wrap up!) and I like it, so far. The structure of it feels manageable and it helps to keep me focused.

I don't know what I would improve about it; I'm sure it can be improved - most things can - but I was just so glad to find it I won't complain.  Cheesy

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Siya
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 07, 2011, 02:52:24 am

Religion: polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 29, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

I've been sort of working on things on my own, but since I've been mostly scattered and disorganized about everything but the book reports and, to a lesser extent, the virtues essays, I was thinking about starting the Wheel of the Year after this weekend just to keep myself on track.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 29, 2011, 06:15:06 pm »

I completed most of the Dedicant Program (the sabbats tripped me up) and I found Dangler's book indispensible.  He has a really great way of breaking down daunting tasks into small, managable chunks.  That said, I didn't follow him exactly - I tended to skipp ahead on some things (like when writing about one virtue got me thinking about another, etc) and put off others.
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo
« Reply #8: April 29, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

That said, I didn't follow him exactly - I tended to skipp ahead on some things (like when writing about one virtue got me thinking about another, etc) and put off others.

I've gotten the impression that skipping around is what the majority of people do - of course,  I don't have a large enough sample to be statistically relevant! I almost feel like the odd one out, plodding along, week-by-week, in a linear way.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 29, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »

I've gotten the impression that skipping around is what the majority of people do - of course,  I don't have a large enough sample to be statistically relevant! I almost feel like the odd one out, plodding along, week-by-week, in a linear way.

Heh, I think a lot of folks do skip around but a strong number likely 'plod along' as well. As long as the work is completed in the end. I have to say I'm tempted to write the essays now, allow them to settle and percolate and move on to the high holy days etc and then come back and amuse myself by re-reading them. Be a bit like reading junior high journals once you're in college Tongue

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 07, 2011, 07:45:20 am »

I'm on week #8 for about the 5th time since I started ADF in 2006. I really like the approach of weekly work. I just always push it aside for other things, some of which really could wait (do I really need to play WoW all day? Do I need to read that new regency romance on my kindle right now?)

I just finished getting a second bachelor's degree via night school in May 2010, and I was doing that for about 5 years. So perhaps my lack of energy for regular spiritual work is just some sort of subconscious backlash to all the hard deadlines I dealt with for school (and that I continue to deal with for work. I dunno).

Where I really struggle is doing regular devotions/meditations, and performing the holiday rituals. I haven't gone to my Wiccan Trad's combined 5-coven holiday rituals for over a year now (there's some politics there), and I seem to always find some excuse for not going to the nearby ADF grove for ritual.

Cedarlight's Beltane is this afternoon. I'm really trying to rev myself up to get there. Anyone else here with that grove?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 07, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »

Cedarlight's Beltane is this afternoon. I'm really trying to rev myself up to get there. Anyone else here with that grove?

Karen

No, I attended Shining Lakes Grove in Mi. Smiley We had ours last Sunday.  It was moved from Saturday to Sunday cause the guy over-booked and had a Reggie festival going at the same time.  A very LOUD festival, from what I heard.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 08, 2011, 07:43:23 am »

No, I attended Shining Lakes Grove in Mi. Smiley We had ours last Sunday.  It was moved from Saturday to Sunday cause the guy over-booked and had a Reggie festival going at the same time.  A very LOUD festival, from what I heard.

LOL. In the end, I didn't even get to the ritual. I really need to take some time with myself to address my current spiritual laziness. Because in the end, all I did yesterday after we ran some errands was lay on the couch and read. And while, yeah, it was a spiritual book, I still haven't done a Beltane ritual. And I want to do a Beltane ritual.

Gah. I'm just messed up these days. Tongue

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 08, 2011, 10:12:43 pm »

LOL. In the end, I didn't even get to the ritual. I really need to take some time with myself to address my current spiritual laziness. Because in the end, all I did yesterday after we ran some errands was lay on the couch and read. And while, yeah, it was a spiritual book, I still haven't done a Beltane ritual. And I want to do a Beltane ritual.

Gah. I'm just messed up these days. Tongue

Karen

Man I am so there with you! I have a usually intense schedule except for the one week breaks between quarters but dang it's suspiciously difficult to motivate myself to actually *do* anything aside from read and write. I need to figure out what my block is. I did set up my shrine and burned a candle for a friend that lost his battle with cancer. But aside from that, nothin'.

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 08, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »

Heh, I think a lot of folks do skip around but a strong number likely 'plod along' as well. As long as the work is completed in the end. I have to say I'm tempted to write the essays now, allow them to settle and percolate and move on to the high holy days etc and then come back and amuse myself by re-reading them. Be a bit like reading junior high journals once you're in college Tongue

I've been skipping around, but making sure I don't skip too far without completing a few weeks in order. 

I'm actually writing the essays as I go, but I plan to revisit them closer to the end of the year.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)