The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 06:24:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 06:24:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 (41st) Canadian federal election  (Read 10510 times)
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 27, 2011, 01:57:42 am »

Canadians are going to the polls on May 2nd! For those interested, here is the Wikipedia page on the elections which has a list of pretty much all the major issues (including what parties are promising what) and how the elections work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2011

So... if you feel so inclined: who are the voting for? If you're not voting, why? Are you changing parties from the last election? How do you feel about going to the polls for the 4th time in... seven years, I believe?

According to the opinion polls it looks like we'll still end up with a minority Conservative government (Who's surprised? Anyone? Bueller?), however it looks like we may be in for an NDP-led Opposition, as NDP numbers keep going up, and Liberal and Bloc numbers go down. Also saw on the news today that the advanced voter turnout was up 34.5% from the 2008 elections, the highest it's ever been. Personally that makes me excited, because it possibly means that more people will vote this time around, compared to the just over half of eligible voters that voted last time.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 27, 2011, 02:06:30 am »

Some interesting, if a bit old, news on the elections:

Green Party leader first to stop in Alberta
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2011/04/19/calgary-elizabeth-may-green-party.html

The reason being, as far as I'm aware, is that Alberta votes mostly Conservative, and has done so for a number of years. Plus, much of Western Canada is ignored in many of the campaigning runs by the leaders of the different parties, especially the prairie provinces (although I'm sure Northern Canada even more so -- but I can't prove that beyond just general hearsay).

“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 27, 2011, 03:21:41 am »

So... if you feel so inclined: who are the voting for? If you're not voting, why? Are you changing parties from the last election? How do you feel about going to the polls for the 4th time in... seven years, I believe?
I actually like my incumbent MP fairly well, as the individual representing me; he's quite moderate as Conservatives go - he started in politics at the provincial level with the Lougheed government of the '70s/'80s, which was quite socially liberal.  But he is a Conservative - chances are he'll get back in handily with or without my vote.  It's barely possible that won't happen (it's the city-centre riding, so it has the highest concentration in Calgary of people who are farther left than the Conservative Party Tongue, for what that's worth), and if it didn't that'd be one less seat for the Conservatives.  So I'm going to be looking very closely at his opponents, to see which, if any, might attract enough votes for that.

I don't mind "fourth time in seven years" nearly as much as I minded "third time in four years" - I don't consider voting to be an onerous burden, and it really cheeses me off that the Conservatives, and to some extent the media, seem to be trying to play on the idea that it is.  Yes, I and other Canadians get "election weary" when our chosen representatives are so opposed to cooperating with each other that they keep coming back to us to try to get a result that doesn't require cooperation, but it's not because we dislike voting, it's because we dislike not having the results respected.

According to the opinion polls it looks like we'll still end up with a minority Conservative government (Who's surprised? Anyone? Bueller?), however it looks like we may be in for an NDP-led Opposition, as NDP numbers keep going up, and Liberal and Bloc numbers go down.[/quote]
Not I.  Canada to Parliament, repeatedly:  "And we're going to keep doing it until you learn to behave like grown-ups!"

The media, and the parties with their "Us Good, Everyone Else Bad" schticks, like to portray minority governments as horrible, awful things.  Personally, I like minorities; they're an inducement to negotiation and cooperation, which better serves the broad diversity of Canadian interests.  The inducement doesn't necessarily work, but at least it's a check on the worst excesses - if the MPs can't master Plays Well With Others in a minority situation, I have no faith in their ability to govern wisely and fairly if given a majority.

The NDP were so firmly in the third-party position for so much of my life (and events since have really mostly just meant there was more than one "third party") that it's hard for me to parse the poll numbers as an indicator of what the actual election results will be; I keep wanting to see them as an expression of disgust that won't make it to election day, because that's how the NDP have always been treated.  We say, "screw it, they're all jerks, maybe I'll vote [party that won't get in]" over our beer, and if we're peeved enough, over the phone to the pollsters, but come the day, in the privacy of the voting booth, we once again choose between the two devils-we-know.

That's my habituation talking, though (it also tells kids to get off its lawn, and recounts Uphill Both Ways stories Cheesy); while I find it difficult to believe there'll be an NDP-led opposition, what I think is that it might just happen.

Also saw on the news today that the advanced voter turnout was up 34.5% from the 2008 elections, the highest it's ever been. Personally that makes me excited, because it possibly means that more people will vote this time around, compared to the just over half of eligible voters that voted last time.
One can only hope.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 27, 2011, 03:59:26 am »

I actually like my incumbent MP fairly well, as the individual representing me; he's quite moderate as Conservatives go - he started in politics at the provincial level with the Lougheed government of the '70s/'80s, which was quite socially liberal.  But he is a Conservative - chances are he'll get back in handily with or without my vote.

I don't know much about my MP, other than she is supposedly a very "tough on crime" kind of politician, after being a cop for several years in Winnipeg (which can be... very unkind, to say the least, to police), but I can't say I recall anything special about her, other than her winning the vote from the long-sitting Liberal MP we had for several elections. I don't expect her to lose her seat (Winnipeg slowly turning more Conservative as things spiral out of control with our policing and judical systems, and a couple of bad apples on the Liberal & NDP side), but you never know.

I don't mind "fourth time in seven years" nearly as much as I minded "third time in four years" - I don't consider voting to be an onerous burden, and it really cheeses me off that the Conservatives, and to some extent the media, seem to be trying to play on the idea that it is.  Yes, I and other Canadians get "election weary" when our chosen representatives are so opposed to cooperating with each other that they keep coming back to us to try to get a result that doesn't require cooperation, but it's not because we dislike voting, it's because we dislike not having the results respected.

I have to agree with you there. I think it's being over-played a bit too much. You get a card in the mail that tells you to be at X place at Y time, and go there, stand in line for a while, talk to some people, go to a box and scribble in a dot, and then leave. Most places are open all day, plus you can even do advanced voting! I don't understand why it's so.. arduous. (Then again I think I am biased because my mother is one of those people who complains about things like this. Loudly.) But then again, I only voted for the first time federally in the last elections, as that was the year I turned 18. Ironically, the federal election this year is happening on my birthday. Huzzah!

Not I.  Canada to Parliament, repeatedly:  "And we're going to keep doing it until you learn to behave like grown-ups!"

The media, and the parties with their "Us Good, Everyone Else Bad" schticks, like to portray minority governments as horrible, awful things.  Personally, I like minorities; they're an inducement to negotiation and cooperation, which better serves the broad diversity of Canadian interests.  The inducement doesn't necessarily work, but at least it's a check on the worst excesses - if the MPs can't master Plays Well With Others in a minority situation, I have no faith in their ability to govern wisely and fairly if given a majority.

THIS. I don't have anything else to add here.

The NDP were so firmly in the third-party position for so much of my life (and events since have really mostly just meant there was more than one "third party") that it's hard for me to parse the poll numbers as an indicator of what the actual election results will be; I keep wanting to see them as an expression of disgust that won't make it to election day, because that's how the NDP have always been treated.  We say, "screw it, they're all jerks, maybe I'll vote [party that won't get in]" over our beer, and if we're peeved enough, over the phone to the pollsters, but come the day, in the privacy of the voting booth, we once again choose between the two devils-we-know.

Same, although the NDP has had a bigger role to play in Manitoba provincially that I CAN see them in some sort of leadership position, so it's not so hard for me to believe in a federal position as well. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if we ended up with an NDP Opposition the next time around, assuming they don't somehow screw it up royally.

And ugh. I keep saying "it's never going to change if you don't TRY to vote for someone different!" and instead I get the following as to why it won't be different:
  • "Politicans are all liars, doesn't matter the party." (Guilty until proven innocent, how nice.)
  • "They'll never get in anyways." (Alright! Self-defeating prophecy!)
  • "They'll form a coalition government and take Harper out!" (What.)

The coalition thing especially really ticks me off. First, they were using it as a threat to Harper (which I don't agree with anyways, but still) pre-vote of non-confidence and in the beginning of the elections. Second, Harper himself formed a coalition with the NDP and Bloc just to get the Liberals out of power in '04. Y'all didn't have a problem with it then? (Most of the people I've talked to -- locally, that is -- seemed to have forgotten this.) Third, no one else has brought up the coalition idea as far as I can recall other than Harper in his fear campaigning (and it's amusing to note how the PC political ads attacking Ignatieff or Layton no longer have the huge "Vote for Harper/PC" at the end, and instead the only ones that have those at the end are the very "We're for Canada"/positive vibe ads -- at least the newer ones anyways). If I'm wrong on that, please correct me. Fourth, Ignatieff and Layton are too much at each other's throats imho to let the other lead the coalition party. Of course who knows what the future holds, but at the moment I seriously don't see the coalition idea going any more forward.

On a side-note, my cousin is one of those people who is saying she is going to vote Green for her riding because she doesn't care for any of the other parties. I'm kind of hoping she sticks to her guns on it. I think that if there was a Green candidate in my riding, I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two (the other being NDP).

That's my habituation talking, though (it also tells kids to get off its lawn, and recounts Uphill Both Ways stories Cheesy); while I find it difficult to believe there'll be an NDP-led opposition, what I think is that it might just happen.
One can only hope.

Sunflower

Maybe it's the youngin' in me still Cheesy but I'm hoping! I'm sure this is just because I'm in a good mood, because when I get particularily upset at politics, I go back to the "we're all screwed / no one is ever going to vote different / why do I ever bother" type of attitude. I still however vote, and I intend to vote NDP, as I did last time as well. Change is only going to happen if you put an effort into actually changing, and encouraging others to do so as well.

I hope y'all can excuse my long-winded posts. This is the first time I've been able to discuss the elections without someone going "I'm not going to bother to vote" or talk very, very loudly about the supposed coalition if I vote anything but PC and how everything would go to shit if they did.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 27, 2011, 05:10:57 am »

The coalition thing especially really ticks me off. First, they were using it as a threat to Harper (which I don't agree with anyways, but still) pre-vote of non-confidence and in the beginning of the elections. Second, Harper himself formed a coalition with the NDP and Bloc just to get the Liberals out of power in '04. Y'all didn't have a problem with it then? (Most of the people I've talked to -- locally, that is -- seemed to have forgotten this.) Third, no one else has brought up the coalition idea as far as I can recall other than Harper in his fear campaigning (and it's amusing to note how the PC political ads attacking Ignatieff or Layton no longer have the huge "Vote for Harper/PC" at the end, and instead the only ones that have those at the end are the very "We're for Canada"/positive vibe ads -- at least the newer ones anyways). If I'm wrong on that, please correct me. Fourth, Ignatieff and Layton are too much at each other's throats imho to let the other lead the coalition party. Of course who knows what the future holds, but at the moment I seriously don't see the coalition idea going any more forward.
That's one of the more repellent aspects of the "Us Good, Everyone Else Bad" ardent-partisan model, that an identical act becomes either a triumph of justice or an ethical travesty based solely on who performs it.

I don't see a coalition in the long-term, ongoing, governing-jointly sense at this time, because - as you say - Ignatieff and Layton are at odds.  From what I can see, there's more substance to it than just "does not play well with other parties", though I can't tell if they rub each other the wrong way personally, or if it's political differences (actual ones, not "wrong party" ones).  Or, heck, maybe it's just that they can't agree which one of them would get to wear the imaginary crown Roll Eyes.

On a side-note, my cousin is one of those people who is saying she is going to vote Green for her riding because she doesn't care for any of the other parties. I'm kind of hoping she sticks to her guns on it. I think that if there was a Green candidate in my riding, I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two (the other being NDP).
If none of my other choices look like they can give my MP a fight, I'm fairly likely to go Green myself on a "party I dislike the least" basis.  If nothing else, my vote can help them get/retain the standing for which the bigger parties like to keep moving the goalposts on them.

I hope y'all can excuse my long-winded posts. This is the first time I've been able to discuss the elections without someone going "I'm not going to bother to vote" or talk very, very loudly about the supposed coalition if I vote anything but PC and how everything would go to shit if they did.
Heh - you've been successfully drawing me into discussions on Canadian politics and the history thereof since you were still learning background in anticipation of reaching voting age.  Why quit now Cheesy?

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 27, 2011, 06:16:56 am »

I'm in the Nanaimo-Cowichan riding and I advance voted last week for our incumbent, Jean Crowder (NDP). Two reasons: Project Democracy listed her as the best choice in my riding to "amp" my vote and stop a Harper majority, and she's been pretty good about representing the needs and wants of her constituents in the past. I vote NDP in general because in BC they're the best for education, and that really is my main concern at this point. That, and I like to vote ABC: Anything But Conservative.

I voted for NDP last election, so no, I'm not changing parties. If the Sex Party ever runs a candidate in my riding they'll definitely get my vote; same with the First Peoples National Party.

As for how I feel about voting so often...um, yeah. I lived in the States for Bush vs. Kerry and let me tell you, voting there was HELL. Trying waiting at the polls for over 4 hours while they tried to get through to the main office on the phone to see if you actually were allowed to vote. I'd turned 18 a few months before that election and you know, it really soured me towards the whole democratic process. (I got over it by the next election.)

Anyway, I find nothing arduous about voting in Canada. I really don't get why people complain about it. I mean, ffs, you can register at the polls. How damn easy is that? (Even though when I went to advance vote there was a mess-up at the polling station and even though I was able to vote, no problem, my friend was not and we had to go across town to the revisions division to get him registered and then voting by special ballot. Everyone at the revisions division said that he should have been able to register at the other poll, but it wasn't that big a deal -- he and I were hanging out anyway, and we had to spend 15, 20 minutes extra in the car. OH NOES. That's no where near as bad as sitting in my high school cafeteria for four hours before being sent to another town, a 30 to 40 minute drive away, to another polling station so I could wait for another hour or so to vote. In the hot, unrelenting Hawaiian sun.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 27, 2011, 08:44:21 am »

I haven't really decided who to vote for yet.  I'll probably vote for the Liberal incumbent, he has done a good job locally.  It is basicly anyone but Conservative.  Not that it is the Conservative's fault (or maybe it is).  My problem is Harper.  As I told the Conservative candidate, I will vote for you as soon as you get rid of Harper.  Until then, you are still the Reform/Canadian Alliance party since Harper rules over you like a feudal lord.

I don't mind going to the polls again.  I wouldn't care if it was every year.  Normally I like minority goverments, but this one keeps trying to behave like they are a majority.  Minority governments are supposed to work with the other parties and compromise.  Instead they say, "Sure we only represent a minority of the people, but do it our way or we'll call another election and say it is your fault."  That is the part I am tired of.

I think it is the party leaders that are the problem.  They should replace them ALL, then have an election.  Results would probably be very different.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 27, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »

Project Democracy listed her as the best choice in my riding to "amp" my vote and stop a Harper majority
Great link - it's exactly what I wanted to find out next toward making my decision.  (Also useful to this discussion - it's really easy to find any given riding and get a quick overview of the situation there, so it's helpful if we want a clearer picture of what each other is talking about.  I didn't specify my riding by proper name before because it didn't seem like it'd be useful info to others, but I'll say now that it's Calgary Centre if you wanna look.)

Not at all to my surprise, our incumbent Conservative MP is leading the polls by a two-to-one margin over the Liberal candidate, with NDP and Green trailing - basically the split is 4-2-1-1, so the only question is whether or not incumbent Richardson will garner more than 50% of the actual votes or not <insert grumble about first-past-the-post system here>.  The site did give me a link to another site that facilitates people swapping votes with folks in ridings where strategic voting is useful (Pair Vote) - I'll want to look into it more closely before I decide (which I'll have to do quickly; their deadline to register for participation is less than three days away), but I might just do that.

Sunflower

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 27, 2011, 10:15:59 pm »

Not to derail the thread for you all, but if you don't mind my asking:

Why is so much of the NDP growth coming from Quebec?  And why are the Liberals bleeding support?  From what little I've seen of the Canadian election here,* Ignatieff seems to be pretty sleazy, but that's a distant impression based on little real info.

*Y'know, everything I've seen on your election is from online sources; it seems like American news doesn't cover it at all.  That's awfully ridiculous, IMO, since you guys and Mexico are our neighbors.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 27, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »

I haven't really decided who to vote for yet.  I'll probably vote for the Liberal incumbent, he has done a good job locally.  It is basicly anyone but Conservative.  Not that it is the Conservative's fault (or maybe it is).  My problem is Harper.  As I told the Conservative candidate, I will vote for you as soon as you get rid of Harper.  Until then, you are still the Reform/Canadian Alliance party since Harper rules over you like a feudal lord.
I see you're like me - you'd really prefer to be able to vote based on who you think will represent you well, rather than by party with no room to consider the calibre of the individual representative.

I wouldn't say it's just Harper; there are people in the Conservative caucus who make him look pretty moderate.

I don't mind going to the polls again.  I wouldn't care if it was every year.  Normally I like minority goverments, but this one keeps trying to behave like they are a majority.  Minority governments are supposed to work with the other parties and compromise.  Instead they say, "Sure we only represent a minority of the people, but do it our way or we'll call another election and say it is your fault."  That is the part I am tired of.
Yep.  It's not the act of voting that I get tired of, it's having to do it because they're being asshats (not just the Conservatives; every party with enough presence to be asshats has done so at some point).

And the Conservatives can say it's the other guys' fault (and do), but I'm not stupid and neither are most Canadians; we can see whether the other parties actually forced an election, or whether the Conservatives are just pouting about not getting their own way again.  Which, as I said above, is IMO exactly why we keep on putting in a minority.  You guys think we haven't given you a mandate?  Think again - we've given you a mandate to work with the other parties.

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 27, 2011, 10:43:37 pm »

Not to derail the thread for you all, but if you don't mind my asking:

Why is so much of the NDP growth coming from Quebec?  And why are the Liberals bleeding support?  From what little I've seen of the Canadian election here,* Ignatieff seems to be pretty sleazy, but that's a distant impression based on little real info.
Hell if I know.

The NDP growth in Quebec pretty much has to be one (or both; they're not mutually-exclusive, though it's even more interesting if they're both happening at the same point in time) of two things - either Quebecois who were already disgruntled with the Conservatives and Liberals and had been supporting the Bloc Quebecois are now also disgruntled with the BQ, or those Quebecois who don't support the BQ and were sticking to the Cons and Libs despite disgruntlement have decided that they're too dsigruntled to do that.

Ignatieff has never succeeded in overcoming the perception that he only came back to Canada so he could lead the Liberal party (he'd been living in the US for many years before that, and wasn't even a blip on the Canadian political radar).  That doesn't exactly explain why the Liberals are bleeding support right now rather than, say, last election, unless it's that Liberal supporters had still been willing to wait for more demonstration of ties to Canada, and now they feel he's had his chance to do that and not come through.

*Y'know, everything I've seen on your election is from online sources; it seems like American news doesn't cover it at all.  That's awfully ridiculous, IMO, since you guys and Mexico are our neighbors.
Well, we think it's ridiculous.  But the general USian position seems to be that it's relatively insignificant - just local stuff, not relevant to (to borrow a term) Weltpolitik.  In a way that's true; the US is much more influential on an international level than we Canucks are - some of it's power, and some is sheer numbers (there are ten times as many of you).  But that doesn't make out political doings meaningless - I suppose it's endemic binarism again; the idea that something is either A or B, in this case either Very Important or Of No Import, with no gradation between.

Sunflower

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 27, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »

Well, we think it's ridiculous.  But the general USian position seems to be that it's relatively insignificant - just local stuff, not relevant to (to borrow a term) Weltpolitik.  In a way that's true; the US is much more influential on an international level than we Canucks are - some of it's power, and some is sheer numbers (there are ten times as many of you).  But that doesn't make out political doings meaningless - I suppose it's endemic binarism again; the idea that something is either A or B, in this case either Very Important or Of No Import, with no gradation between.

We may be more internationally influential, but it still seems to me that:

1)  You're our neighbors, which makes, or at least should make, your goings-on important to us.  We have to live with each other, after all.

2.)  The Commonwealth countries are our staunchest allies, so it seems to me that their elections are all important to us.

3.)  I don't really understand why there's not at least a passing mention on the news whenever any country has had an election.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:55:30 pm by Pyperlie, Reason: To complete my thought. » Logged

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 29, 2011, 03:35:48 am »

That's one of the more repellent aspects of the "Us Good, Everyone Else Bad" ardent-partisan model, that an identical act becomes either a triumph of justice or an ethical travesty based solely on who performs it.

I don't see a coalition in the long-term, ongoing, governing-jointly sense at this time, because - as you say - Ignatieff and Layton are at odds.  From what I can see, there's more substance to it than just "does not play well with other parties", though I can't tell if they rub each other the wrong way personally, or if it's political differences (actual ones, not "wrong party" ones).  Or, heck, maybe it's just that they can't agree which one of them would get to wear the imaginary crown Roll Eyes.

I honestly can't either, and it's really starting to get on my nerves when everytime politics come up around my family, and I get asked who I'm voting for, my father always has to chime in with a remark of "Oh, I guess you have no problem with a coalition then!" (I also have to remind myself that my father is deliberately trying to get a rise out of me, and is not a representative of the Conservative fan base as a whole.) I had to laugh (in a Oh-gods-why-are-you-still-saying-that kind of way) at watching the news today where they were re-capping how the parties are doing in the final days leading up to the election, and one of Harper's remarks of there being a "ram-shackle coalition" which will apparently devastate Canada.  Roll Eyes

My bets are on the imaginary crown.  Roll Eyes

If none of my other choices look like they can give my MP a fight, I'm fairly likely to go Green myself on a "party I dislike the least" basis.  If nothing else, my vote can help them get/retain the standing for which the bigger parties like to keep moving the goalposts on them.

At this point I think I'll stick with my NDP candidate in my riding, because I have no idea which way it's going to swing between the Conservative and Liberal candidate, because they are the only two parties (to date) that have ever held the seat. There's a part of me that wishes Shelly Glover would take her tough-on-crime attitude to the more ... tough-on-crime-needed areas of town. Not saying my area is devoid of crime, but... I feel her attitude and experience as a city police officer would be greatly more beneficial for areas of Winnipeg that NEED that sort of thing. But then again, I have no idea why she chose to run for Saint Boniface, perhaps she didn't have a choice.

Heh - you've been successfully drawing me into discussions on Canadian politics and the history thereof since you were still learning background in anticipation of reaching voting age.  Why quit now Cheesy?

Sunflower

I have been?  Cheesy I had no idea! (Or just a really, really bad memory. Smiley) I won't quit then!

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 29, 2011, 03:48:12 am »

We may be more internationally influential, but it still seems to me that:

1)  You're our neighbors, which makes, or at least should make, your goings-on important to us.  We have to live with each other, after all.

2.)  The Commonwealth countries are our staunchest allies, so it seems to me that their elections are all important to us.

3.)  I don't really understand why there's not at least a passing mention on the news whenever any country has had an election.

Because news channels don't believe their viewers want to watch Canadian politics. Too boring, unimportant.. whatever the reason. And because there is no coverage, not many Americans become aware of events up in Canada, or even care. So even if it's on, they won't watch. Thus, droppage in viewers, and no news channel/company wants that. So it's kind of a vicious cycle that repeats itself.

I agree with all of your points, and I believe Canadian, as well as Mexican, politics should be more known to the American public. It's actually one of the reasons I made this post (other than to discuss with fellow Canadians about the election): to let people know we're having a federal election. Most of the news on The Cauldron is American, and understandably so, considering where Randall and Lyric are based, as well as a good portion of the members are American. And sometimes I kinda go "Hey, where is all the news from the rest of the world?" And I realized that well, the only way that news is going to get out there is if someone posts about it, like me. Smiley I haven't always been very active on TC, but I try and post some things up once in a while. I think the last thing I posted about in the News&Politics forum was the court ruling in Ontario about abolishing some of the sex-trade laws that prohibited the discussion of the sale for sex. Which was... a while ago. *Ahem*. Smiley

So really.. the only way to change it is to keep pushing news from other countries in the world out there. It is a long, uphill battle though.

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 29, 2011, 04:06:06 am »

Here's an interesting clip from the CBC's "The National" program tonight, discussing how the campaigns in the final days of the election are changing to pretty much target the NDP, and the differences that the parties are taking towards it:

CBC's "The National": Changing campaign tone
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/TV_Shows/The_National/1233408557/ID=1901786457

I did find two things interesting:

1) Keith Boag makes the comment, and I happen to agree with him on it, that the Conservatives were perhaps not exactly prepared for when they "shook" (his words) some of the votes from Liberal ridings (and I think as well some of the Bloc Quebecois ones) that for a lot of them to go NDP. Of course who knows what'll happen come election day, and if the votes will stay the same or change.

2) It's really interesting to see how the other three parties (we don't see Elizabeth May's take on the whole thing, but I don't think she has the same campaigning style as the other four have this time around so it's not as "news worthy", plus the Green Party is regularly ignored by much of the mainstream media) handled the growing NDP popularity rise. The Liberals and the NDP were always butting heads long before the debate, so that's not necessarily new. Duceppe it seems really started targetting Layton when it became clear that previously-held Bloc ridings were starting to lean towards the NDP. Harper's tactic, which was to ignore the NDP and thus not give it legitimacy was interesting, but it seems pretty much backfired. It's only been in the last couple days where he's kind of moved from "don't vote for Ignatieff" to "don't vote for Layton", but it doesn't quite seem to be working? Whereas Harper could use Ignatieff's 30-ish year absence from Canada, and the background that the Liberal party has in office as ammunition, with Layton he doesn't quite have as much. Other than "They'll form a coalition and then Canada is doomed!". (Regardless if that's the only thing, it seems to be the only thing that Harper is focusing on at the moment with Layton OR Ignatieff.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)