The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 04:31:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 04:31:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: So I was watching TV last night...  (Read 6495 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 22, 2007, 10:33:19 am »

That seems like a likely explanation.

I got curious about where I read it.  A couple of my symbol "dictionaries" refer to the pentagram as a protective symbol, as does Cunningham in Wicca.  I stopped looking there, since I don't feel like going through ALL my books. 

So, whether it's true or not, at least I didn't make it up.  Cheesy

And you're not the only one, since I know I read it somewhere too, and I've been known to draw (using the term very loosely) them places Smiley

(Although not in the dust on a good friends car - she doesnt like it Wink )

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

pretz
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2009, 04:13:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 24, 2007, 10:59:37 pm »

which, of course, was my first mistake.   Cheesy

But there was some sort of preview for some show and they said (in hushed dramatic tones) "devil worshiping" and then flashed two seperate images of the pentagram.  Clearly, the show was suggesting that the pentagram was representative of evil and madness and so on...

Is it, in some form? 

Assuming it's not, how do you explain or teach people who are important to you but ignorant of all things pagan without having a five hour conversation about something you're just beginning to scratch the surface of yourself? 

I am no authority on this subject, but have heard quite a deal about the five-pointed star that is sometimes called a pentacle or pentagram, so take what I say with a grain of salt?

Allegedly, King Solomon constructed various seals as an expression of faith and for ritual kabbalistic use.  The so-called "Great Seal of Solomon" incorporates the pentacle as do several other seals.  All the symbols are purported to be talismans of great respect and high magic and not to be taken lightly.

Use of the pentacle varies from religion to religion and appears here and there.  Michelangelo uses the pentacle as a comparison to the human body, with the top point being the head, and the other points the four limbs.  Some religions call this the "natural' position of the pentacle, and when it is inverted, that is, the fifth point is downward, then it is considered a pentagram.  A lot of disagreement over that definition, so these days some use the term pentagram and pentacle interchangeably.

Christianity is generally believed to be the first to associate pentacles with devil worship, but I couldn't accurately say when nor exactly for what reasons.  Possibly shortly after the Council of Nicea, when Christianity was essentially codified, and possibly due to prejudice against Jewish sects that allegedly gave rise to the popularity of the symbol.

The Inquisition reinforced the idea that the pentacle was a demonic symbol, but there was no real theological basis for this.  It was merely an occult, as in non-mainstream, symbol and all the excuse inquisitioners needed to consider someone suspect.

The Reformation period in England reinforced disfavor with any symbols except for a plain cross. 

Oddly, some very Christian sects in America would, and still do, paint pentacles on structures to ward off evil.

I have heard that the pentacle is an important symbol in Wicca, but it is worn inverted after someone rises to a certain level of knowledge and becomes a high-level practitioner.

Another poster described Satanic uses of the pentacle/pentagram much more adequately than I could.

So the long and short of it is:  This five-pointed star has varied meanings and usages.  One should not assume anything merely from seeing this symbol displayed.  Unless you are making a TV movie, of course!
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 25, 2007, 05:51:44 am »

Others I've seen use inverted crosses.

This is the one I've heard of more frequently, and makes a bit more sense to me, frankly.

I'd tell them that for most Wiccans, the pentacle represents the elements of Water, Fire, Earth, Air, and Spirit. The circle, at least for me, represents the wheel of time. If, after that, they still think you're a satanist, calmly get up and walk away. 5 more hours of conversation won't change their mind.

Now, if you're not Wiccan, then my explanation may or may not work. I'm not sure if non-Wiccan pagans who wear pentacles interpret the symbol the same way. Many probably do.

I'm a non-Wiccan Pagan Witch, and my pentacle means that (among many other things) to me. I use that explanation with great success.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 25, 2007, 05:39:24 pm »

The Pentagram is associated with at least some forms of Satanism - I don't know about *all.*  Strictly speaking the Anton Le Vay brand of Satanism doesn't involve devil worship, but worship of the self (if worship is the right word).  The devils and demons are held to be role models of sort.  These Satanists might be referred to as 'philosophical' Satanists.

Some Satanists do claim to worship Satan as a real entity.  However, they vary as to how they view him.  Many see him as a pre-Christian God, not a devil.  I have, however, seen at least one person on a Satanist forum who did indeed worship Satan more or less in the view of the modern world (ie: fallen Angel, fighting against God, etc), albeit with a shift in perspective.

In any case, many Satanists do use a pentagram or pentacle, although it is often (but not necessarily always) inverted.

I had a friend who was a Satanist, and he defined it as the worship of the self. He also said that there is a big difference between a devil worshipper, those who worship the fallen one,lucifer, the many names he has,lol....and a Satanist. I'm not sure if this is accurate but that was what I always thought as well. Just putting in my two cents,lol.

Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 25, 2007, 06:07:56 pm »

I had a friend who was a Satanist, and he defined it as the worship of the self. He also said that there is a big difference between a devil worshipper, those who worship the fallen one,lucifer, the many names he has,lol....and a Satanist. I'm not sure if this is accurate but that was what I always thought as well. Just putting in my two cents,lol.

Bright Blessings.

I would imagine that a common line of thought for many philosophical Satanists...but I imagine it would annoy Theistic Satanists.  Not all Satanists are the Le Vayan kind.  (It's sort of like how some Pagans will get annoyed if you suggest they#re Wiccan.  It's not true, and they're tired of hearing it a lot. Smiley )

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 25, 2007, 07:32:36 pm »

I would imagine that a common line of thought for many philosophical Satanists...but I imagine it would annoy Theistic Satanists.  Not all Satanists are the Le Vayan kind.  (It's sort of like how some Pagans will get annoyed if you suggest they#re Wiccan.  It's not true, and they're tired of hearing it a lot. Smiley )

Very true. So the saying *all witches are pagan but not all pagans are witches, or moreso in this case all Wiccans are witches but not all Witches are Wiccan* could apply to that as in *all Le Vayans are satanists but not all Satanists are La Vayans?*

hmmm...yeah?,lol.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 25, 2007, 10:19:29 pm »

Very true. So the saying *all witches are pagan but not all pagans are witches, or moreso in this case all Wiccans are witches but not all Witches are Wiccan* could apply to that as in *all Le Vayans are satanists but not all Satanists are La Vayans?*

hmmm...yeah?,lol.

In fact, not even all witches are pagan, so you would want to go to the latter saying.  Ceremonial Magick does, in fact, tend towards being heavily Christian, and I'm not sure whether Gnostic Christians, Santeria practitioners, and so on and so forth would think of themselves as pagan.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 26, 2007, 04:22:33 am »

I was informed that the pentagram (not inverted) was used as an early Christian symbol. 

In any case, logic would suggest to me that this is the origin of the inverted pentagram as a Satanist symbol, as it truly would be the equivalent of an upside-down crucifix.

Hi,

I know of a church in Cornwall which has (or had), a pentagram prominently in one of it's stained glass windows. Whether it is still there, I don't know, as I haven't visited the area for many years. It was the device Sir Gawaine bore on his shield also.

In my Wiccan tradition, the inverted pentagram was the symbol of a Second Degree Wiccan and I wore it without problems. The problem seems to be hat the inverted pentagram is associated with Baphomet, and therefore with Satan.

Cheers, midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 26, 2007, 04:59:40 am »

Aside from the 'all witches are pagans' bit, you got it. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: June 26, 2007, 05:00:44 am »

In fact, not even all witches are pagan, so you would want to go to the latter saying.  Ceremonial Magick does, in fact, tend towards being heavily Christian, and I'm not sure whether Gnostic Christians, Santeria practitioners, and so on and so forth would think of themselves as pagan.

On the other hand, many practitioners of those groups wouldn't call themselves 'witches.'  Ceremonial Magicians would call themselves...well...Ceremonial *Magicians* Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)