The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 02:11:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 02:11:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: paypal subscription vs regular subscription  (Read 4137 times)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 28, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »

basically, I have a paypal subscription set up that I thought would automatically renew, and while it is still happily sending money, apparently, it didn't renew on this end  after Jan, since I'm seeing ads again.  (ack ads.)  What should I do about this?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 28, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »

basically, I have a paypal subscription set up that I thought would automatically renew, and while it is still happily sending money, apparently, it didn't renew on this end  after Jan, since I'm seeing ads again.  (ack ads.)  What should I do about this?

Let me look into it.  When did you start seeing ads?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 29, 2011, 12:18:21 am »

It's been, at least two weeks.  Which would jibe with your pm.  I'll check my paypal again.

Katrina

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 29, 2011, 05:27:37 am »

Sould I be seeing ads if I'm a gold donor? I've been seeing them since the server update.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 29, 2011, 08:31:54 am »

Sould I be seeing ads if I'm a gold donor? I've been seeing them since the server update.

Sigh. No you should not be seeing ads. I wish you (or some other donor member) had mentioned this back when the server update was done. If this had been mentioned immediately after the update, I could have rolled back the update. However, it's far too late for that now. I will try to fix the issue (if there is one), but cannot make any promises as SMF has become majorly broken over the years -- one of the main reasons we are considering moving to new software. (Not to mention that I have no idea where to look for the problem in the tens of thousands of lines of pho code that I did not write.)

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 29, 2011, 08:44:46 am »

It's even worse. The software on this end has marked your subscription "finished" as of April 15th.

Dark Midnight    Finished    February 14, 2010, 02:23:29 am    April 17, 2011, 05:08:01 am

The only easy solution would have been to have rolled back the server update within a few minutes of completing it. I will try to come up with a way to manually mark subscriber accounts as the correct membership class when their payment comes through. Unfortunately, the email address on the paypal payment often makes has nothing to do with the TC account the payment is for. I will see what i can do, however.

Randall
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 30, 2011, 03:52:01 am »

Sorry for not letting you know earlier. To be honest, I've been that busy that I didn't think much of it at the time. Thanks for sorting it out though. It is much appreciated.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 30, 2011, 08:02:14 am »

Sorry for not letting you know earlier. To be honest, I've been that busy that I didn't think much of it at the time. Thanks for sorting it out though. It is much appreciated.

The server upgrade may have been a mistake. But I waited over two years since php 5.3 was released and a year since the actual new version of the server software came out. You'd think that would give people time enough to update their software -- especially when many updates have been released since then.  The only things that should have been expected to possibly break were the old Beehive boards and the Flashchat -- both of which used 4+ year old software that could not be updated here for various reasons.

Randall
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 03, 2011, 11:12:18 am »

It's even worse. The software on this end has marked your subscription "finished" as of April 15th.

Let's not forget the various ways that Paypal can muck things up, too. I've had Paypal bounce my subscription payment for no good reason, as my checking account hasn't been low enough to actually bounce items for a good 2-3 years.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 03, 2011, 02:24:06 pm »

Let's not forget the various ways that Paypal can muck things up, too. I've had Paypal bounce my subscription payment for no good reason, as my checking account hasn't been low enough to actually bounce items for a good 2-3 years.

While true, this is definitely the software's issue. I expect all accounts to be marked finished as their next payment comes in. I'll do my best to manually turn the donor status back on so donors get the benefit of their donation. Not that the ads here are as overwhelming as they are at some places -- and Adblock Plus, at least, seems to block all but one small one on its default settings.

Randall
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 07, 2011, 07:03:33 am »

While true, this is definitely the software's issue. I expect all accounts to be marked finished as their next payment comes in.

Please do shoot me a note if that happens with my subscription. I'm trying to move all the stuff that my comcast.net account handles over to gmail eventually, with the hope of switching to FiOS if it ever comes to my neighborhood. Gmail is also more smart-phone friendly. This means that I don't keep a close eye on the paypal stuff, and I rarely check in with my bank balance online more than once or twice a month (usually right before I sit down to pay the bills) so it's easy for me to just miss bounce notices.

Karen

Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 07, 2011, 07:53:45 am »

Please do shoot me a note if that happens with my subscription.

I'll try, but it does not send me any notice that it happens. You can check from your profile in the Donation Subscription area at the very bottom in the existing subscription area. If one is listed as ended when Paypal is still paying, the issue has hit your sub and I need to manually your account to the correct donor usergroup. 

This is one of the reasons we are moving to a different message board. One with such subscriptions built into the core so they are supported by the board designers.

I'm trying to move all the stuff that my comcast.net account handles over to gmail eventually, with the hope of switching to FiOS if it ever comes to my neighborhood. Gmail is also more smart-phone friendly. This means that I don't keep a close eye on the paypal stuff, and I rarely check in with my bank balance online more than once or twice a month (usually right before I sit down to pay the bills) so it's easy for me to just miss bounce notices.

That's the problem with this bug. Paypal is working right so you don't get any bounce notices, the board just quietly decides your subscription is finished even though paypal is still paying for it. Sad

Randall
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 07, 2011, 08:18:10 am »

You can check from your profile in the Donation Subscription area at the very bottom in the existing subscription area.

The board says my subscription's good through 2013. So I'm ok for a while. Smiley

Karen

Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 07, 2011, 08:19:53 am »

The board says my subscription's good through 2013. So I'm ok for a while. Smiley

If it ever changes that to already ended, the bug has hit your account. It does it without any reason and "whenever" from what I can see. Sad

Randall
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 15, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

If it ever changes that to already ended, the bug has hit your account. It does it without any reason and "whenever" from what I can see. Sad

The bug got me again. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)