The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2020, 04:06:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 04:06:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are you turning into your parents?  (Read 4858 times)
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 01, 2011, 04:47:40 am »

I know I'm showing signs of being my mother. The way I talk to children, relaxing by pottering around the bedroom tidying up (though I don't play with makeup...yet), starting to like cooking, apolitical streak, tendency to drive people crazy by being neutral, etc.

Just a bit more XP and I'm sure I'll level up and complete the transformation.

How about you?

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: May 01, 2011, 05:11:17 am »

Gods, I hope not.  Wink

I see myself as a pretty good mix of all my direct ancestors and my own.
I know that I'm said to have a lot look-alike in the facial expression with my paternal aunt, also my looks turns more out on my father's side of the family.

OTOH there is not really anyone around to tell me: Just like your.... Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 01, 2011, 05:52:19 am »

I know I'm showing signs of being my mother. The way I talk to children, relaxing by pottering around the bedroom tidying up (though I don't play with makeup...yet), starting to like cooking, apolitical streak, tendency to drive people crazy by being neutral, etc.

How about you?

Sort of.  I'm turning into my maternal grandfather.  He was basically led a hermit-like existence by only staying in the pigsty that was his bedroom.  Since he had to raise my mother, I can see why he wouldn't want to socialize.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: May 01, 2011, 08:06:10 am »

How about you?

I've always been compared to my father.  As I get older even I can see it in a lot of my attitudes and habits.

My husband, on the other hand, is more like my mother than he is like any of the members of his own family.  No mother-in-law problems for him.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
savatage
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2015, 02:18:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: working on it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 01, 2011, 08:49:55 am »

How about you?

One of my greatest fears is that i will turn into my parents.. if i take after anyone at all though, it would be my late paternal grandmother. We had similar interests and personalities, would often call up each other before family events to make sure we wouldn't bake the same thing.
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 01, 2011, 11:15:44 am »

How about you?

I've noticed I have an affinity for cleaning. If I don't..everything feels crazy. But that's probably my OCD. My mom's nuts and my biological dad is passed on. I didn't know him. But I've been told I'm exactly like my dad. It's weird. Even down to the red, high tops. Haha. Smiley I'm more than happy to be like my dad.

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 01, 2011, 11:54:45 am »

How about you?

I'm a LOT like my mother, but even more, I'm a very odd cross of both my grandmothers.  In weird things - like choice of perfume and stuff.

with kids I'm like my father.  I haven't come to the point of chasing them down for hugs ... yet ....... but .............

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 01, 2011, 12:55:27 pm »

How about you?

I am just like my father, and get told that a lot. While we have a few philosophical and political belief differences, everything else lines up pretty well. Neither of us are fond of social situations, but we can behave when needed though I'm more of a hermit than he is.

His family is well known for its slightly twisted sense of humor, and both of us inherited that in spades. I can't count the number of times we have gotten in trouble with my Mom and others for things that we thought were funny as all hell, but everyone else was mortified over.  Grin My Grandmother swore that Dad was born laughing, and both of us try not to take things too seriously.

I always thank people when they tell me "You are just like your father!", especially when they are insinuating that it isn't a good thing....  Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 01, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »

How about you?

I am turning into my father at an alarming rate. The similarity was always there but now I am so bad that my nieces asked my sister why I always make bad dad jokes. I just hope I don't start growing a beard and going bald.
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 02, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »

I am turning into my father at an alarming rate. The similarity was always there but now I am so bad that my nieces asked my sister why I always make bad dad jokes. I just hope I don't start growing a beard and going bald.

There have been times when I have said something and immediately thought "Oh God, when did my mom get here?"  I do my best to keep that under check as much as possible.  You wouldn't really consider her a good role model in any sense of the word, but I think that it is inevitable that sometimes things come out no matter how hard you try. 
Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 03, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »

How about you?

When I was younger I was mortified by any comparisons made between myself and my mother.  As I have grown older and mom now sits at the House of Donn I am more and more pleased to be "like" my mom.  I miss her terribly and am comforted by the small reminders of her that manifest in my behaviours.

Kindness first and in all things...
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 04, 2011, 12:42:09 am »

Heh - and I'm trying hard to ensure that I don't turn into a Grumpy Old Man.  Don't get me wrong, my dad's mostly great and I'm proud to take after him - but he's grumpy.  So far, I seem to be successful only insofar as snarky != grumpy.  But I still have a few decades to work on it.

I'm rather tickled by how many of us are daughters who take after our fathers.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 04, 2011, 01:54:16 am »

I'm rather tickled by how many of us are daughters who take after our fathers.

Sunflower

I know that I do! My dad is very calm, he almost never loses his temper and he has a great sense of humour. I used to look like my mum, but as I'm getting older I'm looking more and morelike my dad, especially aound the eyes.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 04, 2011, 08:46:47 am »

I know that I do! My dad is very calm, he almost never loses his temper and he has a great sense of humour. I used to look like my mum, but as I'm getting older I'm looking more and morelike my dad, especially aound the eyes.

oh gods, I TOTALLY look like my mother.

To the point that there was a picture of me IN GERMANY that I looked at and went "wait, when was mom there .. OH NO!"

Freaky, dude.  freaky

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 16, 2011, 10:13:47 am »

How about you?

Hrm.  Well, I think I've grown unlike my dad as I got older (listen to the 18-year-old talk about 'older'  Tongue )...but I kinda grew apart from my mum a bit, too.  I still have my dad's sense of humour more (although mine's still darker than his), I've picked up on a lot of Mum's mannerisms, and a few of Dad's.  I've inherited every scrap of Mum's practicality and more though, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)