The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 11:40:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 11:40:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's on your altar?  (Read 8372 times)
r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am
United States United States

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 01, 2011, 07:00:38 pm »

I think setting up my first altar was probably the funnest thing I did when I first started studying witchcraft. I love how individualized you can make it and how open it is to creativity. I've seen witches with disco balls on their altars, and some with their favorite stars, artists, musicans, and fashion designers on them (a lot of my friends are "glamor" witches.)

I have two altars. One is hidden under my bed, it's a lid to a cardboard box. I have a hound's tooth cover for it that I use to use as a scarf...before hound's tooth scarfs became obsolete. I have all sorts of candles to represent the Elements and the Lord and Lady, and couple gigantic, grand candle sticks for lighting (when I use my bigger altar, usually the coffee table when my parents aren't home.) As a little Bohemian, cutsie touch, I have a little hippie bus candle stick for small candles that I usually stick near the south east side of my altar.

For my tiny altar, I use a dish in the shape of a flower for my cauldron/holy water. On my bigger alter, I use a large, carved wood bowl. I also have a tiny wooden broom that's been on my fridge for years and years.  For my earth side of the altar, I have two stones, a Jasper and a clear Quartz. My offering bowls are made of wood, and I keep most of my materials in an old Poke ball I've had for years (a little touch of my childhood. Tongue)

For the east side, I have a bell with my grandmother's birthday on it. I was extremely close to my grandmother before she died when I was 12. I always try to channel or connect with her when doing spell work. And of course an insense holder, usually burning Nag Champa or Jasmin.

In the center, I have a little tiny statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus, but I use it to represent the Mother, and I am the child. My pentegram is a mirror which I drew the pentegram on, because I want my energies reflected.

===

So that's mine. What's yours? =P

I'm on the right track, baby.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 09, 2011, 01:49:51 am »

I think setting up my first altar was probably the funnest thing I did when I first started studying witchcraft. I love how individualized you can make it and how open it is to creativity. I've seen witches with disco balls on their altars, and some with their favorite stars, artists, musicians, and fashion designers on them (a lot of my friends are "glamor" witches.)

I have two altars. One is hidden under my bed, it's a lid to a cardboard box. I have a hound's tooth cover for it that I use to use as a scarf...before hound's tooth scarfs became obsolete. I have all sorts of candles to represent the Elements and the Lord and Lady, and couple gigantic, grand candle sticks for lighting (when I use my bigger altar, usually the coffee table when my parents aren't home.) As a little Bohemian, cutsie touch, I have a little hippie bus candle stick for small candles that I usually stick near the south east side of my altar.

For my tiny altar, I use a dish in the shape of a flower for my cauldron/holy water. On my bigger alter, I use a large, carved wood bowl. I also have a tiny wooden broom that's been on my fridge for years and years.  For my earth side of the altar, I have two stones, a Jasper and a clear Quartz. My offering bowls are made of wood, and I keep most of my materials in an old Poke ball I've had for years (a little touch of my childhood. Tongue)

For the east side, I have a bell with my grandmother's birthday on it. I was extremely close to my grandmother before she died when I was 12. I always try to channel or connect with her when doing spell work. And of course an insense holder, usually burning Nag Champa or Jasmin.

In the center, I have a little tiny statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus, but I use it to represent the Mother, and I am the child. My pentegram is a mirror which I drew the pentegram on, because I want my energies reflected.

===

I don't use my altar anymore, but I still have the materials. Candles, and bronze statues of Artemis and Zeus.

Cheesy
r2squared
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 09, 2011, 10:34:46 am »

I don't use my altar anymore, but I still have the materials. Candles, and bronze statues of Artemis and Zeus.

Cheesy

Hurray, someone finally replied! I thought this thread was going to disappear. Any cool candles or decorations that you used?

SeaShine
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2013, 01:01:17 pm

Religion: Hellenic-ish/ Stoic/Devotee of Poseidon.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 09, 2011, 11:56:48 am »

Since I live with people who are hostile towards my beliefs, I have a temporary altar.  It gets set up for major ritual only, which is about once a week, depending on who's around.  

It is composed of a bronze Turkish serving tray held up by a wood folding frame.  It is very low to the ground.  It's contents change according to deity, but usually they consist of: an incense holder/censor, offering bowl, figurines of sacred animals, natural (found) objects that are symbolic of the deity (such as shells or feathers), a votive candle holder, a picture/or statuette of the god being worshiped, and a vase filled with picked flowers, depending on the time of year.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:04:40 pm by SeaShine, Reason: spelling » Logged
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 09, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »

I have a shrine cabinet with double doors on the front and drawers below.  Within the double doors I keep representations of my Gods.  On top, I have an AeroGarden with living plants, two offering bowls with feet (thanks, Erin!) and a lavender plant.

I keep my regular supplies in the drawers, and bring them out to use as needed.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 09, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »

===

There's a good photo thread on what's on folks' altars around here somewhere, if you do a good search.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
r2squared
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 09, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

I have a shrine cabinet with double doors on the front and drawers below.  Within the double doors I keep representations of my Gods.  On top, I have an AeroGarden with living plants, two offering bowls with feet (thanks, Erin!) and a lavender plant.

I keep my regular supplies in the drawers, and bring them out to use as needed.

That sounds really cool! I like the idea of a little altar you can keep in a cabinet

outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 09, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

Hurray, someone finally replied! I thought this thread was going to disappear. Any cool candles or decorations that you used?

Candles are regular ones you could purchase at walmart. Decorations...Well I do have a small brown (not sure what he's made of) bear that is on the goddess side, and a wooden carved wolf for the god side.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 09, 2011, 05:35:43 pm »

I just redid my altar a few days ago.  I have three white candles and one green candle that symbolize my faith, a seashell for the ocean, a cauldron for water, an oak leaf, and a raven feather.  It's rather simple, but I love it and it suits me.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 09, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »

There's a good photo thread on what's on folks' altars around here somewhere, if you do a good search.

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=588.0

Smiley
blue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 01:09:01 pm

Religion: pantheist

*slightly otherworldly*

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 12, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »

===

an item each to represent air, fire, water and earth as well as the current phase of the moon and current season of the year. what these items are changes.

"if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"-albert einstein

"not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -albert einstein

'somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.'-carl sagan

"blessed are the smile makers"-unknown
zachai
Last Login:May 23, 2011, 03:19:06 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 17, 2011, 10:03:59 pm »

i feel really spoilt when people say they have to hid their altar, i have a big circular glass table with a carved wooden base as my altar, and my entire study is filled with various pagan/witchcraft books and tools.

my altar changes constanatly depending on whats going on in my life, i always try to have fresh flowers and interesting candles (my current ones are foot high one various shade of blue the other of green) to be my god/dess symbols, and the usual elemental symbols. the coolest thing on my altar at the moment is a bunch of masks from my last esbat and a huge chunk of clear quartz with a big swirl of what i think is rose quarts in it
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 18, 2011, 12:24:16 am »

Hi, zachai,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
r2squared
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 18, 2011, 03:28:29 am »

i feel really spoilt when people say they have to hid their altar, i have a big circular glass table with a carved wooden base as my altar, and my entire study is filled with various pagan/witchcraft books and tools.

my altar changes constanatly depending on whats going on in my life, i always try to have fresh flowers and interesting candles (my current ones are foot high one various shade of blue the other of green) to be my god/dess symbols, and the usual elemental symbols. the coolest thing on my altar at the moment is a bunch of masks from my last esbat and a huge chunk of clear quartz with a big swirl of what i think is rose quarts in it

This sounds absolutely fabulous, though. Anything nifty that you use for your wand or athame? Or maybe a cauldron?

zachai
Last Login:May 23, 2011, 03:19:06 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 18, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

This sounds absolutely fabulous, though. Anything nifty that you use for your wand or athame? Or maybe a cauldron?

i have never really been a big fan of the wand, maks me feel way to harry potterish, my athame is a carved flint dagger with heiroglyphs that tell the story of horus (not that im a big fan of egyptian gods but the dagger just caught my eye while travelling) and i have yet to find a cauldron that doesnt make me have flashbacks to macbeth, which is a pity cause i love brewing potions

(sorry i forgot to do the quotey thing, i started writing a reply to another post then must have accidently deleted the whole thing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)