The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 09:35:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 09:35:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's on your altar?  (Read 5655 times)
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 31, 2011, 12:38:50 am »

i have never really been a big fan of the wand, maks me feel way to harry potterish, my athame is a carved flint dagger with heiroglyphs that tell the story of horus (not that im a big fan of egyptian gods but the dagger just caught my eye while travelling) and i have yet to find a cauldron that doesnt make me have flashbacks to macbeth, which is a pity cause i love brewing potions

(sorry i forgot to do the quotey thing, i started writing a reply to another post then must have accidently deleted the whole thing)

I described my alter in the alter photo thread,but speaking of redoing alters,I need to buy a new coconut,my old one that I had hollowed out to use as an offering cup (for the drinky part) it got moldy...ew.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ama
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 01:49:50 am
United States United States

Religion: spiritually in tune, not religiously loyal.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 17, 2011, 03:15:14 am »

I think setting up my first altar was probably the funnest thing I did when I first started studying witchcraft. I love how individualized you can make it and how open it is to creativity...

What's yours? =P

My family strongly disapproves of my practicing. Actually, they really don't even know that I practice to the degree that I do. haha. That, on top of the fact that we are currently in the process of moving has definitely taken it's tole on the size of my alter.

Right now, I have most everything I don't use frequently stowed away in a black box (roughly the size of a shoebox). This includes a few very small amethyst crystals, an array of tea candles, small pillars and tapers (mostly white, though I have some other assorted colors), a tin canister that I keep the yarn for my knot magick in, and a collection of incense.

What I have out for my altar right now is a painted jewelry box I've had since my early childhood, opened so the three-way mirror is facing the rest of the room. Then in front of that I have one tall white pillar candle. I have two taper holders to either side of that, and two tea candles next to those. I front is my coffin incense burner, and scattered around are some of my favorite crystals and gemstones. If you look at the whole thing from the top, it is in the shape of a pentagram, where the mirror is on the spirit point, the two furthermost tea candles are fire and earth, and the scattered gems at the bottom are air and water.

Some have a style that they work hard to refine,
and so they walk a crooked line.
But she can't understand why anyone would try
to walk a line when they could fly.
Tahpenes
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 am
United States United States

Religion: River-worshipping fox-hugging trancer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 17, 2011, 08:15:39 am »

What's yours? =P

We have a family altar. It sits in the living room, as near the center of the house as we can get it. It's on a chest that I inherited from my side of the family, and uses a quilt made by my mother-in-law as a backdrop. There are statues or items for our family's (or family member's) protectors, candles, and usually water and honey. We also tend to put a plate of food on it whenever we have a holiday or otherwise have a special meal (though we keep intending to leave a plate more often).
rachaell
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 19, 2011, 02:52:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: earth pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 18, 2011, 12:55:06 pm »

i have never really been a big fan of the wand, maks me feel way to harry potterish, my athame is a carved flint dagger with heiroglyphs that tell the story of horus (not that im a big fan of egyptian gods but the dagger just caught my eye while travelling) and i have yet to find a cauldron that doesnt make me have flashbacks to macbeth, which is a pity cause i love brewing potions

(sorry i forgot to do the quotey thing, i started writing a reply to another post then must have accidently deleted the whole thing)

You are right about the cauldron, I feel the same way.  But I live in an apartment so if I started burning anything the fire alarm goes off.  For small scraps of paper though I have a brass flower pot/planter that stands on ornate feet.  I use this by an open window with the fan turned towards it so that the little bit of smoke goes out the window.  For those of you that live with 'others' when your planter isn't being used for a ritual you can put some artifical flowers in it.  This way no one will ever know what it really is.  No, I do not use an altar but if I did I would set one up in my kitchen cupboard.  This way all I would have to do is open the doors when needed.
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 21, 2011, 10:27:35 am »

So that's mine. What's yours? =P

I have a small bamboo table set up in my bedroom (it is the largest room in the house).  On it is a firepot, a hammer, a blot bowl, and a fountain.  I have to get rid of the fountain since it broke, and it was annoying anyway since I had to refill it daily.  I want to add an oath ring, but haven't been able to find something that I can use for that.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 21, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »

So that's mine. What's yours? =P

I just found out yesterday when doing ritual that my altar should sit in the living room and not in the bedroom, where I currently keep it. So some major reconstructioning of living space is soon to come  Grin

So far, on my altar there are the following things (from back to front): a brass candle holder that I use for magical work only; a jewel case that once belonged to my great-grandma and that I use for keeping incense in; a vase; two candles for my God and Goddess (once I finish the third one for Manannán it'll have to go there as well); a chalice; a bowl to burn incense in; my wand; a little figure of a swan (for Anann); a drinking horn (for Thor). And I keep one of those things that you use to snuff candles with, though I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called in English.
Basically everything that is on my altar apart from the chalice and the horn was given to me by family members, which is why it holds a great value for me.

At some point in the (probably far) future I want to have a nice altar blanket with a flower motive that I'd like to stitch myself; a bare black table isn't too nice as a surface to put religious items on, imo.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 24, 2011, 04:10:25 am »

I just found out yesterday when doing ritual that my altar should sit in the living room and not in the bedroom, where I currently keep it. So some major reconstructioning of living space is soon to come  Grin

So far, on my altar there are the following things (from back to front): a brass candle holder that I use for magical work only; a jewel case that once belonged to my great-grandma and that I use for keeping incense in; a vase; two candles for my God and Goddess (once I finish the third one for Manannán it'll have to go there as well); a chalice; a bowl to burn incense in; my wand; a little figure of a swan (for Anann); a drinking horn (for Thor). And I keep one of those things that you use to snuff candles with, though I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called in English.
Basically everything that is on my altar apart from the chalice and the horn was given to me by family members, which is why it holds a great value for me.

At some point in the (probably far) future I want to have a nice altar blanket with a flower motive that I'd like to stitch myself; a bare black table isn't too nice as a surface to put religious items on, imo.

random thought: interesting that the only things not given to you on there,are both drinking vessels.

harzgeist
Journeyman
Germany Germany

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 24, 2011, 05:08:45 am »

random thought: interesting that the only things not given to you on there,are both drinking vessels.

I guess that's because my family doesn't own any drinking vessels. I mean, sure we own glasses and such  Wink but none are special enough to me that I'd use them on my altar. It's an interesting thought, however, so I'm going to call my mum and see if we do have some glasses/drinking vessels that would fit my altar.

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 24, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »

And I keep one of those things that you use to snuff candles with, though I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called in English.

Just a  candle snuffer   Wink

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
harzgeist
Journeyman
Germany Germany

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 24, 2011, 04:47:45 pm »

Just a  candle snuffer   Wink

Really? That was too easy  Wink Sometimes I honestly dislike the English language  Grin

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 24, 2011, 05:42:02 pm »

Sometimes I honestly dislike the English language  Grin

It must be a horrible language to learn.  However when reading your posts ( and Tana and Waldfrau's) it's easy to forget it isn't your first language. I only wish my language skills were so good.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
harzgeist
Journeyman
Germany Germany

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 24, 2011, 06:04:48 pm »

It must be a horrible language to learn.  However when reading your posts ( and Tana and Waldfrau's) it's easy to forget it isn't your first language. I only wish my language skills were so good.

Thanks *blushes*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)