The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 12:35:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 12:35:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What WOULDN'T you do for your god(s)?  (Read 5774 times)
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 09, 2011, 01:39:22 am »

The sentiment has already been offered, but I'll agree to it.  If my gods asked of me something that was counter to my morals/understanding/laws/etc, then at that point I would have to consider why they where asking it of me.

A test?  Maybe to see if I'd have the personal conviction to say no?

Malevolence?

Boredom?

With my god, Loki, I could easily see him asking me to do something I wouldn't want to do out of boredom. And since plenty of people have negative views of Loki, I'm sure they could interpret that as malevolence. I'm not really sure if he's ever asked me to do anything I objected to. For some reason, I feel that he has, but I honestly can't remember what. I know he's pushed me into things that I really wasn't sure about, but it wasn't like he asked me to stab someone in the spleen or anything. Which is something I would normally object to.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 09, 2011, 01:54:35 am »

As far back as history is recorded (and perhaps beyond that), there are accounts of people acting in the name of, or on behalf of, their god(s).  Sometimes these acts are in line with societal and/or cultural norms, and sometimes not.

Thinking about this, especially in light of the acts performed across the world today "in the name of God", I started wondering what I wouldn't do for my gods and on what that decision is actually based.

F'ex, I can say that I wouldn't murder if my gods asked me to...but might there be a situation in which murder was the best decision and, if so, would I do it then?  Would doing so make my morality fluid?  Is that a bad thing?

So: what wouldn't you do for your gods?  Why?

The things I wouldn't do have already been covered.  I don't have a specific deity at this time but any unreasonable request would result in this.

Why is He/She asking me to do this? What do they really want? What are they trying to teach me or show me? What is the purpose of this.

Basically because I think it would be far more likely for a deity interested in me to pose these questions rather than actually want me to perform a forbidden action, because, assuming the deity knew me and chose to allow me to associate with it, it would know that I could never and would never perform a forbidden act for it. Thus, the questioning of the motive behind the request/demand.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Miss Kitten
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2013, 08:44:07 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 09, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »

As far back as history is recorded (and perhaps beyond that), there are accounts of people acting in the name of, or on behalf of, their god(s).  Sometimes these acts are in line with societal and/or cultural norms, and sometimes not.

Thinking about this, especially in light of the acts performed across the world today "in the name of God", I started wondering what I wouldn't do for my gods and on what that decision is actually based.

F'ex, I can say that I wouldn't murder if my gods asked me to...but might there be a situation in which murder was the best decision and, if so, would I do it then?  Would doing so make my morality fluid?  Is that a bad thing?

I would second the type of things people have posted so far like murder.  I don't think my gods would ask anything abominable.

But there was a goddess from another pantheon once who asked something horrid.  She popped in once, trying to get my attention and yelling louder and louder and I asked what she wanted.  She wanted me to study about her.  Okay.  No problem.  Whatever.  She would come around sometimes and chat.  Still no problem.  Then one day she came and said she wanted to make me hers...under a condition...I had to abandon a commitment I already had to another god because he is male and her followers must *never* bow to a man and this includes deities.  I told her NO! and she argued.  I told her no  again, no, not ever, how could you dare ask this of me?  She became angry and stormed off, and I haven't heard from her since.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 09, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »

I would second the type of things people have posted so far like murder.  I don't think my gods would ask anything abominable.

But there was a goddess from another pantheon once who asked something horrid.  She popped in once, trying to get my attention and yelling louder and louder and I asked what she wanted.  She wanted me to study about her.  Okay.  No problem.  Whatever.  She would come around sometimes and chat.  Still no problem.  Then one day she came and said she wanted to make me hers...under a condition...I had to abandon a commitment I already had to another god because he is male and her followers must *never* bow to a man and this includes deities.  I told her NO! and she argued.  I told her no  again, no, not ever, how could you dare ask this of me?  She became angry and stormed off, and I haven't heard from her since.

If it's not too personal, I'm curious to know, who was this goddess? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Miss Kitten
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2013, 08:44:07 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 10, 2011, 03:42:40 pm »

If it's not too personal, I'm curious to know, who was this goddess? 

Well maybe I shouldn't have called her a goddess because I'm not sure what she is---some call her a goddess and some call her a demon.

It was Lilith. 
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 10, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

I think I'm gonna pull out a Feri aphorism here (adjusts to appropriate hat):

"God is self and self is god and god is a person like myself."

I wouldn't do for a god what I wouldn't do for any other person.  Thus: it depends on the relationship.  Some things I also wouldn't do for anyone.

Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 12, 2011, 02:01:42 am »

I think I'm gonna pull out a Feri aphorism here (adjusts to appropriate hat):

"God is self and self is god and god is a person like myself."

I wouldn't do for a god what I wouldn't do for any other person.  Thus: it depends on the relationship.  Some things I also wouldn't do for anyone.

I like this a lot. More or less sums up my feelings on the matter.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 12, 2011, 05:24:54 am »

This.

Again, reiterating what other people have already said: I wouldn't kill, I wouldn't die.  I wouldn't ruin someone else's life in any way (making them lose their job, or raping them, or anything that has lasting effects like that).  I wouldn't give up my friends or family.  I wouldn't give up writing, no matter how they threatened to smite me.

But, then, I highly doubt they'd ask any of that of me anyway.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Zeno
Apprentice
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 11:24:28 am

Religion: Skeptical Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 16, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »

An excellent question! Well I generally like to think that the Gods (or Sobek at least) and myself are on the same page as far as morality goes and what our goals are. I have to admit, I'm a moral relativist, so what may be moral and in line with the teachings of the gods to one person may be seen as evil to another. So to be honest, I'm a little unsure, seeing as my Gods have, or any deity for that matter has yet to ask me to do something I might consider immoral.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)