The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 03:29:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 03:29:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Not Heathen, not Asatru, not Pagan … so what?  (Read 10197 times)
Mark C.
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 12:03:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen of as yet undefined specificity :-)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 10, 2011, 05:54:28 am »

Thanks for the warning. Think I'll be avoiding that, thankyouverymuch. Wink

Very wise!

Before I settled on heathenry I used to label myself as a philosophical pagan. I wasn't interested in the magic or ceremony or spellwork but mainly just concerned with the mythology and how it related to me, etc etc. Maybe you'd feel comfortable with philosophical heathen? Or a philosophical lore-ist? (Lorist? Loreist? whatever).

I do like “philosophical heathen”. Very good! I think I’m now down to four main terms:

“Non-Literal Heathen” – Which I like because it conveys that I don’t see the mythology as literally true but poetically true. Although there is something a little “clumsy” about it that I can’t quite put my finger on.

“Modern Heathen” – Which I think captures the general heathen outlook but with a nod to what we now know about the world around us and human nature. The downside is that all present day heathens are “modern” in the sense that they exist now. I also worry that “modern” could be taken as running contrary to the heathen part i.e. misconstrued as being something “eclectic” and not based on lore / historical heathenry.

“Philosophical Heathen” – Just been introduced to me, but I think that has the benefits of the above without the potential negative connotations. It also captures that it is the worldview that appeals and that the metaphor is not taken as literal.

“Naturalist Heathen” – Taking “naturalist” to mean that I don’t believe anything supernatural exists. I had considered “atheist heathen” but that’s not true because I do think the gods exist, but not in a supernatural “castles in the sky” kind of way. The gods are poetic metaphor for the “divinity” we find in ourselves and the word around us.

Does any one have any thoughts on the above four?

I do appreciate everyone’s help with this. It is proving very valuable to me.

Mark

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 10, 2011, 05:57:45 am »

“Naturalist Heathen” – Taking “naturalist” to mean that I don’t believe anything supernatural exists. I had considered “atheist heathen” but that’s not true because I do think the gods exist, but not in a supernatural “castles in the sky” kind of way. The gods are poetic metaphor for the “divinity” we find in ourselves and the word around us.

Does any one have any thoughts on the above four?

I do appreciate everyone’s help with this. It is proving very valuable to me.

Mark

As an outsider I'd think Naturalist Heathen was interested in the natural world/environmental causes.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 10, 2011, 06:00:54 am »

Not sure if these would be helpful to you in figuring out what 'type' of Heathen you may be, but I'm a bit of a quiz addict and stumbled upon these three quizzes recently.  I thought I'd share the links in case you might be interested in checking them out.  Who knows how accurate they are, but perhaps they might give a hint as to a label.

They were great fun! I enjoyed those. I came off as a Reconstructionist Heathen in two of them and a Modernist Heathen on the third. I don’t think it gave me an answer, but the questions were useful in getting me to think about the issues. Thank you for those.

Mark

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 10, 2011, 06:05:11 am »

As an outsider I'd think Naturalist Heathen was interested in the natural world/environmental causes.

Thank you for that. They are the kind of potential misunderstandings that I'm hoping people can help me avoid. I have a lot of sympathy for environmental causes, but that is not what I'm wanting to communicate here. It's this kind of "Naturalism" that I was referring to by "naturalist": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism_(philosophy)

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 10, 2011, 06:09:08 am »

Thank you for that. They are the kind of potential misunderstandings that I'm hoping people can help me avoid. I have a lot of sympathy for environmental causes, but that is not what I'm wanting to communicate here. It's this kind of "Naturalism" that I was referring to by "naturalist": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism_(philosophy)

I understand your intent Smiley Just saying that at first glance I would tend to assume it was a literal naturalist descriptor. Labels are so darn tricky.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 10, 2011, 06:14:19 am »

Just saying that at first glance I would tend to assume it was a literal naturalist descriptor

Definitely. Perhaps "Naturalistic Heathen" would be better?

Mark.

Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 10, 2011, 06:38:59 am »

Definitely. Perhaps "Naturalistic Heathen" would be better?

Mark.

I've just had a look on this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Naturalism

The page states that “Religious naturalism is an approach to spirituality that is devoid of supernaturalism.

The following definition of “religious naturalism” also struck a cord with me:

P. Roger Gillette of Meadville Lombard Theology School says that religious naturalism is a religion "in that it is a system of belief and practice that demands and facilitates one's intellectual and emotional reconnection with one's self, one's family, one's local and global community and ecosystem, the universe of which the global ecosystem is a part, and (perhaps) the creative source of this universe".

Because I don’t subscribe to supernatural ideas, I want a “religion” of the here and now and not some “otherworldly relm”, and because I use a heathen worldview / heathen lore to facilitate / demand that “emotional and intellectual connection” with myself, my family, my community and the natural world around me then “Naturalistic Heathen” would seem bang on the money.

Am I missing something or do people feel that could work?

Mark

Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 10, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »

Not sure if these would be helpful to you in figuring out what 'type' of Heathen you may be, but I'm a bit of a quiz addict and stumbled upon these three quizzes recently.  I thought I'd share the links in case you might be interested in checking them out.  Who knows how accurate they are, but perhaps they might give a hint as to a label.  

http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/1482778/what-type-of-heathen-are-you
http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/1185340/what-kind-of-heathen-are-you-really
and http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/new/isnorden/what-kind-of-heathen-are-you-really--version-20/

Interestingly, but not entirely surprisingly, I got Modernist Heathen as my result for all three quizzes.  

I love taking online quizzes, so I decided to give them a shot. I got "Eclectic Heathen" for the first one, and "Modernist Heathen" for the other two. Although, to be fair, I would have liked to have the option to pick multiple responses for a couple questions, because I was like: "Well, yes, but..."

Sorry, went a bit OT there...
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 10, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »

I personally like the sound of philosophical heathen, a lot -- I think it says everything you need it to. I like Naturalist Heathen, too, but I do think that there's a potential for some people to confuse that with "likes to forage for berries."   Smiley

Non-literal Heathen sounds off to me... perhaps because it sounds like it's describing you, as a person, rather than the approach/belief that you hold. To me (so get your salt ready) Modern Heathen says that you're someone who is embracing heathenry, but in a way that is different from Recon approaches.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 10, 2011, 11:11:35 pm »

Hmm...How about Modernist Recon rather than what we (would now  Wink) label as Traditionalist Recon?

ETA: Oo!Oo! Then make a post detailing the differences between a modernist recon and a traditionalist recon. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.