The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 01:21:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 01:21:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: General Plans For The Cauldron 4.0 (Comments Wanted)  (Read 30619 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 05, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »

This new site will be site up as a CMS (probably Drupal, but might be Joomla or Wordpress). This will allow me to give accounts to people who can create material directly on the new site using a WYSIWYG editor -- without needing to know HTML or even BBCode. SIGs will have their own areas of the web site where they can create web pages on their SIG. These areas may be set up with Wordpress even if the main part of the site is not as more people are comfortable with using Wordpress than with any other CMS
This sounds great! I never new we had any kind of wiki thing. I am familiar with and like Wordpress, and think that Wordpress add-ons for the SIGs would be cool, since I know how to use and since the FlameKeeping site is already on WP.

TC 4.0 Message Board: As I mentioned before, we have given up on SMF.
I am not familiar with message board software, but what I like out this one is the clear layout of different boards and folders, the ability to see all your unread threads, and the ability to jump the spot in a thread where you last left off. I also like how all the posts appear on one page. (Well, some are multiple pages.) I can't stand those message forums where you can only read one reply at a time.

CauldronMUX: will remain our main chat area. *snip*This may involve restarting the MUX completely from scratch.
Sounds good to me.

Social Network:
I liked the idea of a social network at first, but it just became one more place to check and so I eventually forgot about it. In any of these new softwares you are looking at, is there an way to build a more in-depth profile if people choose? For example, being able to upload photos or write blog posts within your profile?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 05, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »

5) Get Member-Produced Content on the Web: This was tied in with the site redesign. We intended to make at least some parts of our site work like a CMS so qualified members could add their articles, fiction, poetry, etc. directly to the website without having to filter it through one overworked webmaster. The site redesign failed. Wikis were set up for some SIGs but were for the most part not used. Wiki-speak is not strong here. The current incarnation of the Wiki software died in the server update. It is fixable, but I haven't bothered do to lack of use. We hoped to get member-written book reviews this way too.

I think getting more member content, especially reviews on books and such, would be great!  When I check out our existing reviews and articles I know the information comes from a well researched and trustworthy source. 
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 05, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »

As someone who had never used MUX before the flashchat crashed, I can say I really like it! And it's not nearly as intimidating as it seems.

I continue to be intimidated by MUX, but that's probably just because I haven't played around with it much (yet).  It's hard to follow the threads of conversation and remember who is talking to who.  I'm inexperienced with chatrooms in general, though, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment. 

I for one have really enjoyed the social networking, and I hope to make better use of it if we're able to get another version working.

I really liked it too.  I want some user-friendly way for members to socialize outside of The Cauldron proper.  Also, some of us have areas of interest that need their own space but are too specific for their own SIG.  For example, I was working on these meditations for the Goddess Nut with Veggiewolf.  There was a handful of people interested.  For awhile we were doing this on one of the private SIGs but then that didn't turn out to be a good fit.  If TCN were still in place, I'd have just started a group there.  Right now there isn't much of a place to put what I'm doing.  I've thought of setting up something in MUX (as soon as I get less intimidated) but I'm not sure a chat room can do what I want to do.  I want a place where people can post artwork or poetry and have it stay there, for people to see later. 

I bring up this project because I suspect there are others in similar situations.  There were some specified groups on TCN like the paranormal group which I loved (though I mostly lurked).  I think there was one on knitting, too.  I know many people here are interested in that, but we can't have a SIG for absolutely everything.  TCN let interests like this have a place to live.  I miss that.

Of course, I know TCN wasn't very active after we left Ning.  I don't know if we can find something as good as that.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #18: May 06, 2011, 04:16:04 am »

The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum celebrated its 13th Anniversary on December 13, 2010. We are now in our 14th year of operation.

First let me say: Yay to this! Long live the dinosaur!  Grin

TC 4.0 Web Site:

I'd say, do it that way.
Let the old material be archive and start a new base for new things.
Above all: go the for the alternative that is the least labor-intensive for you.

TC 4.0 Message Board:

I'd be happy to help with the costs.
Also: I got out of lurk mode in the last incarnation of the board and was there when we moved over here.
The board filled up with new threads and messages in no time - so I don't think moving over the old stuff is really necessary.
The thread topics that repeat themselves, will repeat themselves anyway and if it could cause trouble to copy the old messages, I wouldn't do so.

CauldronMUX:

I'll admit that I miss flash chat, but I got used to the MUX, I only don't care for all the playthings in there.

Newsletter:

If it causes too much work, leave it be. Tho' the blog idea sounds good and wouldn't cause to much work for the hosts I guess.
I'd like to contribute, but have a few issues with that:

* My English is suffcient to communicate on the board, but I sometimes don't feel adept enough to write whole articles in English and bring over all the things I want to communicate.

* And German and US or UK pagan world show a lot of differences in regards of backgrounds, history and current issues.
So I don't know how interesting some of the topics would be.

Buuuut.... if we go for a kinda blog for this, there should be a possibility to re-blog an article from my blog f.ex.?
Maybe there are other options that get you enough submissions.

Social Network:

I liked the ning pretty much, because it was a bit like the old and now long dead covenspace. Elgg was slow and for groups not easy to handle, but to be honest: on neither platform things were heating up in a way that we couldn't live without it.

In a nutshell: As long as TC will continue existing and the work level for the hosts will not be overwhelming or maddening, I'll be happy.  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 06, 2011, 04:30:36 am »

On a newsletter: one thing to think about is how much demand for one there is - these days, with RSS readers, I agree with the suggestion that a blog might be a better solution. One thing I've been doing on my professional blog is a link roundup every Friday, and I could see something like that working well for The Cauldron (a sentence or two about particularly interesting/active threads, etc.)

I like the idea that you (and Ali and Sperran) put forth. I could see it taking the place, or just supplementing, the featured threads that are on the front page of the website.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 06, 2011, 08:30:45 am »

I'm a bit more comfortable with VBulletin (and I think that, in general, a message-board format is a better fit for the conversations we've had here, so IPB's shifts make me a tad nervous.)

Reading some of the plans for IPB 3.2 on the IPB Blog make me somewhat uncomfortable about the direction they are heading with the software. The new Xenforo seems to be aiming at the Facebook-wantabe market in an even stronger way and this seems to be influencing IPB.  Reading this Admin Zone thread on what people have problems with in IPB software was also enlightening. I had been leaning toward IPB until seeing all of this.

I was a little nervous about the archive-and-start-fresh thing with previous moves, but I've discovered I really sort of like it: it lets new conversations grow in a different way that I think makes coming back to the topics that come up all the time continue to feel a bit more fresh and new. (While still making it possible to go look at the older material if there's really a strong desire.)

I'm somewhat surprised to see that people actually like this in this thread. I've always thought being able to import the old message base would be better. We'll have to discuss this issue more, however, as you (and others) have some solid reasons otherwise.

I'm definitely willing to contribute something for software costs.

Always appreciated. Once we pick the board software I can come up a list of expenses: mandatory (the board software) and optional and we can see what people think is worth trying for. For example, if enough people would like to access the board from a decent smartphone interface, they might be willing to donate more so we could get one.

And I continue to be tentatively open to doing something around helping organize content, but I need the job-finding situation to sort itself out first to know how much time I have (and how much time and energy probably moving and settling into a new job would take. (I'm extremely comfortable with WordPress and a bunch of their addons as well as customising themes, and I've played around a little with Joomla and Drupal)

::still hoping you find something soon:: If only the economy would improve to the point that there aren't 50+ qualified people applying for many good job openings.

One additional reason to consider WordPress is that it's starting to show up in a number of social-network-type job descriptions, so giving people a chance to explore and contribute here, but gain skills that might transfer into other parts of their life is a nice little bonus (and it's pretty easy to get someone up to speed with it quickly: if you can use various features like styles and formatting on a word processing program, you can probably learn the editing tools for WordPress in a matter of minutes, though learning the admin tools takes a bit longer.)

I wasn't aware of that. That's a good reason to go with Wiordpress -- at least for the SIG areas.

One thing I've been doing on my professional blog is a link roundup every Friday, and I could see something like that working well for The Cauldron (a sentence or two about particularly interesting/active threads, etc.)

That's a good idea.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: May 06, 2011, 08:45:03 am »

I have some experience publishing newsletters and wouldn't mind getting involved in this in a editorial capacity, if you're looking for someone to help out and/or delegate work to.

YES! I suspect the only way the newsletter will be able to restart will be if I turn it over to someone else. When we moved to our own server the time I had for the newsletter turned into to time to do server stuff. Sad

I think another potential way to go with this might be to recruit a staff of contributing writers with regular columns/features, folks who can commit to submitting something for every issue, as well as opening it up to submissions from the TC community.

We have a regular column on Astrology and Tarot, but that's it. Getting single articles out of members has proven very hard, get articles regularly has only been a pipedream in most cases.

I didn't even know there was a TC newsletter, so I'm not sure what kinds of features it had before....

You can see most back issues here: http://www.ecauldron.net/cnc/archiveindex.php

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: May 06, 2011, 08:47:05 am »

Have you considered making some aspects of the newsletter more a report of what is currently going on at TC instead of a formal article on some topic?  For example, SIG leaders might create a short summary of important activities/discussions currently going on in the SIGs. 

I would put together a interesting discussions in the last month thing -- in some issues, that was most of the newsletter. But yes, this is a good idea -- assuming SIG Leaders (or whoever) would/could do it.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: May 06, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

I am not familiar with message board software, but what I like out this one is the clear layout of different boards and folders, the ability to see all your unread threads, and the ability to jump the spot in a thread where you last left off. I also like how all the posts appear on one page. (Well, some are multiple pages.) I can't stand those message forums where you can only read one reply at a time.

Vbulletin works much like SMF in these areas. IPB does the same things as SMF mostly, but sometimes not the same way. We would not even consider a board did not have "the ability to see all your unread threads, and the ability to jump the spot in a thread where you last left off."

I liked the idea of a social network at first, but it just became one more place to check and so I eventually forgot about it. In any of these new softwares you are looking at, is there an way to build a more in-depth profile if people choose? For example, being able to upload photos or write blog posts within your profile?

It would not surprise me if there wasn't a mod for expanded profiles in Vbulletin. IPB tries to be a social network on its own, but its really there yet (and what they are doing makes it less of a traditional board) and will not be for quite a while.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: May 06, 2011, 08:55:55 am »

I continue to be intimidated by MUX, but that's probably just because I haven't played around with it much (yet).  It's hard to follow the threads of conversation and remember who is talking to who.  I'm inexperienced with chatrooms in general, though, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment.

I have that problem in ANY chatroom, so it may simply inexperience with chatrooms.  

I bring up this project because I suspect there are others in similar situations.  There were some specified groups on TCN like the paranormal group which I loved (though I mostly lurked).  I think there was one on knitting, too.  I know many people here are interested in that, but we can't have a SIG for absolutely everything.  TCN let interests like this have a place to live.  I miss that.

Vbulletin has something they call "social groups" that allows members (in usergroups with permission to do so) setr up their own SIG-like boards. This sounds like it would be something like you are looking for.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: May 06, 2011, 09:09:43 am »

I'll admit that I miss flash chat, but I got used to the MUX, I only don't care for all the playthings in there.

You'd have to talk to Darkhawk, but I think that this is something being considered for the new/revised MUX: starting people in a room set up just for chat -- without all the toys laying around to confuse people not used to a MUX.

* And German and US or UK pagan world show a lot of differences in regards of backgrounds, history and current issues.
So I don't know how interesting some of the topics would be.

You might be surprised how many people would be interested in seeing things from a non-US/UK point of view. Besides, we are supposed to be an international board. Smiley

Buuuut.... if we go for a kinda blog for this, there should be a possibility to re-blog an article from my blog f.ex.?

I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Maybe there are other options that get you enough submissions.

Randall
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: May 06, 2011, 09:11:49 am »

Vbulletin has something they call "social groups" that allows members (in usergroups with permission to do so) setr up their own SIG-like boards. This sounds like it would be something like you are looking for.

Really?  I've never seen them on the Vbulietin boards I lurk on.

*checks one of said boards*

Oooohhhhhh.  That's what I get for never looking at my profile on sites I only joined so I can see thumbnail attachments and to get easy access to new-to-me posts Tongue

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 06, 2011, 11:28:32 am »

You'd have to talk to Darkhawk, but I think that this is something being considered for the new/revised MUX: starting people in a room set up just for chat -- without all the toys laying around to confuse people not used to a MUX.

That would be amazing- those things annoy the crap out of me.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 06, 2011, 12:41:56 pm »

TC 4.0 Web Site: Current plans are to leave the vast majority of the material we have on the www.ecauldron.net web site exactly as it is. It will be "legacy material" that we will keep available because it is useful information and well indexed by Google and other search engines. We will not try to update the look and outdated HTML of the pages on this legacy site. We tried that and found it to be far too much work.  Instead we will create a new, modern site for new material on ecauldron.com.

As I think this would cause the least amount of stress for those involved in admin I definitely think this is the way to go.

TC 4.0 Message Board:

As SMF is the only type I have ever worked with and I am not a techy by trade or heart ... do what works. 

CauldronMUX: This will be decided by Darkhawk and those who use the MUX regularly. The Hosts aren't chat people so we'll pretty much go with whatever they want.

Not much of a chat person either and I haven't used the MUX so I can't comment. 

Newsletter: We'd like to revive the newsletter in some form as TC was much more active when it was published regularly.  However, it is a pain to produce when we have to constantly beg people to write articles for it. Reviving it may simply not be possible.

This is where I could be of some help.  I have done a lot of news and technical writing in my life.  As well I have published newsletters, although for sending through the mail.  I am not as updated on copyright stuff as I use to be but it wouldn't take much to get up to snuff if it was needed.  I have only dabbled in graphics the last couple of years but if needed I could work on those skills too.  I was into that sort of thing pretty heavily for about five years so hopefully it wouldn't take too much. 

Mainly I would be interested in helping.  With getting the nursery up and running I am usually pretty short on time.  But any type of proof-reading, editing, a graphic here or there I could do.  Writing articles on herbs, flowers, gardening, etc. would be of interest to me.  Whether for food, making your yard pretty or magic.  I love to read so book reviews might work too.  Other possible ideas swirling in my head but I'll leave it there until and if something gets going. 

Social Network:

I didn't enjoy TCN as much as I thought I would.  Like someone else said it was another place to check.  But, to be fair, there was very little going on there that I was interested in at that time.  If it had several groups and I found more than one that was of personal interest to me I might be more inclined to not mind having another place to check. 

Just on a side note ... my finances have finally taken a turn for the better.  First was lining out my kids with stuff they needed and getting my car going again but that is pretty much done now so I wouldn't mind donating something to help.  It might not be much but I know every little bit helps!  If you continued to do something like you are now with different levels of memberships for x amount of dollars I would interested in that as well.  I lurk more than I post but I have really learned a lot lurking and I think places like this are really needed.  I pay for my books so I wouldn't have an issue with a yearly fee that I could afford. 

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 06, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »

I know nothing at all about technical stuff so my only comment in that area is to say do what seems like the best option with the least amount of hassle for you guys.

I would be happy to donate towards costs or get involved in a fund raising project if you wanted to do something like that. I do think an app for smart phones would be worth looking into - most of my online time is on my i-phone and TC can be a bit awkward with posting from it.

I would also be happy to try writing some stuff for the newsletter. Now I am new and I don't know if anything I could do would be worth reading but I would be happy to give it a try.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.