The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2021, 10:01:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2021, 10:01:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: General Plans For The Cauldron 4.0 (Comments Wanted)  (Read 41764 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 06, 2011, 08:30:45 am »

I'm a bit more comfortable with VBulletin (and I think that, in general, a message-board format is a better fit for the conversations we've had here, so IPB's shifts make me a tad nervous.)

Reading some of the plans for IPB 3.2 on the IPB Blog make me somewhat uncomfortable about the direction they are heading with the software. The new Xenforo seems to be aiming at the Facebook-wantabe market in an even stronger way and this seems to be influencing IPB.  Reading this Admin Zone thread on what people have problems with in IPB software was also enlightening. I had been leaning toward IPB until seeing all of this.

I was a little nervous about the archive-and-start-fresh thing with previous moves, but I've discovered I really sort of like it: it lets new conversations grow in a different way that I think makes coming back to the topics that come up all the time continue to feel a bit more fresh and new. (While still making it possible to go look at the older material if there's really a strong desire.)

I'm somewhat surprised to see that people actually like this in this thread. I've always thought being able to import the old message base would be better. We'll have to discuss this issue more, however, as you (and others) have some solid reasons otherwise.

I'm definitely willing to contribute something for software costs.

Always appreciated. Once we pick the board software I can come up a list of expenses: mandatory (the board software) and optional and we can see what people think is worth trying for. For example, if enough people would like to access the board from a decent smartphone interface, they might be willing to donate more so we could get one.

And I continue to be tentatively open to doing something around helping organize content, but I need the job-finding situation to sort itself out first to know how much time I have (and how much time and energy probably moving and settling into a new job would take. (I'm extremely comfortable with WordPress and a bunch of their addons as well as customising themes, and I've played around a little with Joomla and Drupal)

::still hoping you find something soon:: If only the economy would improve to the point that there aren't 50+ qualified people applying for many good job openings.

One additional reason to consider WordPress is that it's starting to show up in a number of social-network-type job descriptions, so giving people a chance to explore and contribute here, but gain skills that might transfer into other parts of their life is a nice little bonus (and it's pretty easy to get someone up to speed with it quickly: if you can use various features like styles and formatting on a word processing program, you can probably learn the editing tools for WordPress in a matter of minutes, though learning the admin tools takes a bit longer.)

I wasn't aware of that. That's a good reason to go with Wiordpress -- at least for the SIG areas.

One thing I've been doing on my professional blog is a link roundup every Friday, and I could see something like that working well for The Cauldron (a sentence or two about particularly interesting/active threads, etc.)

That's a good idea.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.