The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2021, 08:58:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2021, 08:58:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: General Plans For The Cauldron 4.0 (Comments Wanted)  (Read 41761 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #45: May 08, 2011, 10:22:57 am »

It was hosted on Ning and members liked it. Then Ning went from free to pay ($20+/month).

So I just recently was referred to the Steampunk Empire website, which I see is hosted on Ning and appears to be a very active community. Ning has built in forums where things can be broken down into different boards. I don't know if their message boards would support all the things we need, but maybe it is worth looking into. (Or maybe you already have and I missed that discussion.)
http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/forum

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #46: May 08, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »

So I just recently was referred to the Steampunk Empire website, which I see is hosted on Ning and appears to be a very active community. Ning has built in forums where things can be broken down into different boards. I don't know if their message boards would support all the things we need, but maybe it is worth looking into. (Or maybe you already have and I missed that discussion.)
http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/forum

There are two huge problems with Ning from the point of view of what this board probably needs:

- Quoting is really annoying, and I don't think there's a way to require it. (It produces about 3x as much code as our current format does, so it's also really hard to sort out what's the quoting code and what's not necessary if you are not someone who reads formatting code like English, which is most people)

- And the huge one, which is that there's no way to jump to the last unread message in a thread. You can get email notifications of new messages, but those don't include the full message, so you have to get the email, click on the link, and read the new message. It really really doesn't work for me, and it really wouldn't work for our conversation patterns here very well.

I think Ning works okay for lots of different tiny subgroup discussions (where the topics are of interest to only a subset of people), but doesn't work well for general discussions, because in the forum area (which you'd use for that larger discussion) navigating a substantial number of threads is also a pain in the neck. I also find it really hard to do longer replies on them - anything over a couple of paragraphs is formatting-wise really hard to read, because of the overall site layout, etc.

(I do follow a couple of Ning based boards, but they've got to be super-amazing content-wise for me to be willing to do it because the mechanics are so incredibly annoying.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: May 08, 2011, 03:35:21 pm »

We were on Ning for our social network until they when from free to $20 a month. While Ning is the best small social network I've seen yet, no one here likes it enough to pay $20 a month for it. And as Jenett points out, it does have some major usability issues that make it less useful for people here.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #48: May 08, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

But every now and then, I'd read a thread and they'd all migrate over to the network, so I couldn't follow.  They went for that functionability over the forum's.  Brigid of the Stars being the most prominant.

I just want to (hopefully) clarify a couple things: the reason why the group chose to move to TCN was due to a number of things. One was to have a separate, private space for us to discuss our experiences with LotS, because at the time we weren't... heavily interested in having the "debate" part of TC's legacy in our discussions at the time. Secondly, you are right that we wanted to test out TCN's capabilities, including uploading files, pictures, calenders, etc. Although we ultimately decided we much preferred the layout here on TC for regular discussion (including being able to quote, and skip to "newest posts since last visit" I think being the top reasons), and leave behind the extras that TCN provided.

That isn't to say I didn't like TCN, and that it could be used for other things besides a heavy discussion group! It just.. proved to be a bit unwieldy for what we needed/wanted.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #49: May 08, 2011, 07:17:39 pm »

We were on Ning for our social network until they when from free to $20 a month. While Ning is the best small social network I've seen yet, no one here likes it enough to pay $20 a month for it. And as Jenett points out, it does have some major usability issues that make it less useful for people here.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use Ning for all our needs since we are going to pay for something anyway. But if it doesn't handle message forums the way we need it to, it's not a good choice.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: May 08, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

There are two huge problems with Ning from the point of view of what this board probably needs:

- Quoting is really annoying, and I don't think there's a way to require it. (It produces about 3x as much code as our current format does, so it's also really hard to sort out what's the quoting code and what's not necessary if you are not someone who reads formatting code like English, which is most people)

- And the huge one, which is that there's no way to jump to the last unread message in a thread. You can get email notifications of new messages, but those don't include the full message, so you have to get the email, click on the link, and read the new message. It really really doesn't work for me, and it really wouldn't work for our conversation patterns here very well.
I'm part of a professional Ning that is mind-blowingly useful with all the people on it. But I agree that the "discussion board" part of it is not my favorite for the same reasons.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: May 08, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »

I was wondering if it would be possible to use Ning for all our needs since we are going to pay for something anyway. But if it doesn't handle message forums the way we need it to, it's not a good choice.

It would not work for TC for that and other reasons. For example, it's administrative backend is very weak. We'd never be able to set things up with the control we have here. Sad

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: May 09, 2011, 05:26:06 pm »

We have a regular column on Astrology and Tarot, but that's it. Getting single articles out of members has proven very hard, get articles regularly has only been a pipedream in most cases.

You can see most back issues here: http://www.ecauldron.net/cnc/archiveindex.php

Is the newsletter intended to be a monthly thing?  It might be better to do a quarterly.

There's a lot of good posts in various threads, maybe the authors would be willing to expand/edit their work into something for the newsletter?

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #53: May 09, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »

TC 4.0 Message Board: As I mentioned before, we have given up on SMF. Even if it should finally come out, SMF 2.0 will simply not meet our needs -- especially as the SMF modding community has really shrunk. We have looked at other free and open source message boards and have not found any that both meet our needs and look likely to continue doing so. Unfortunately, after 13 years, your hosts think we have outgrown free message board software. We are now looking at commercial message board software, probably either Vbulletin or Invision Power Board (with Vbulletin having a slight edge at the moment as it has more third party support and isn't moving away from a traditional message board). Moving to commercial software will require a fund drive, unfortunately. We'll need to raise at least $200 to do so and perhaps more if we want additional features (such as an app for accessing the board from a smartphone). We'll also need to decide if we want to try to import all the messages from this board to the new board or leave them in place here but just close the board to posting as we have done in the past. Both Vbulletin and IPB are able to import messages from SMF -- unlike our previous moves from non-standard boards where importing the message base wasn't even an option.

One decision has been made: We will go with Vbulletin 4.x for our new forum -- assuming the necessary funds can be raised ($200). No decision yet on whether we will import the current messages or start afresh as we have done in the past.  Once we get Vbulletin, we'll have to set it up on a test server and play with it to learn how to use it. We'll probably decide on importing/not importing during that testing/learning period. There will soon be a new Vbulletin thread for ideas for the new forum.

Edited to remove donation link. Thanks to everyone who donated, we reached our $200 goal at about 1pm on May 10th!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:11:59 pm by RandallS, Reason: Removed donation Link » Logged

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: May 09, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »

Is the newsletter intended to be a monthly thing?  It might be better to do a quarterly.

There's been some discussion of that in thread. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it is definitely "on the table."

Randall
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #55: May 09, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

One decision has been made: We will go with Vbulletin 4.x for our new forum -- assuming the necessary funds can be raised ($200).

Donated. Wish I could give more.

Have you decided whether or not to go with Wordpress add-ins for certain spots?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #56: May 09, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »

One decision has been made: We will go with Vbulletin 4.x for our new forum -- assuming the necessary funds can be raised ($200).

Awesome. I've donated some- hopefully I'll be able to give some more soon.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #57: May 09, 2011, 07:47:18 pm »

Donated. I may be able to give more later; it depends how many hours at work I get in.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #58: May 09, 2011, 10:18:46 pm »

Donated. Wish I could give more.

Wow! I'm surprised to see all the donations. This was really a test posting so i could get the HTML for the Paypal button right before I post it to a box at the top of the page in the morning. (Getting a working Paypal button on this forum always takes me several attempts -- tonight was no different.) But we already have $85 of the $200 needed.  Thanks, folks. 

No, make that $100 of the $200 needed. 50% there.

Have you decided whether or not to go with Wordpress add-ins for certain spots?

I am almost positive we will use Wordpress for SIG parts of the site (the ones that will definitely be handled by others). I haven't decided about the main part of the site yet. There are good reasons to consider Joomla or Drupal for that, but also good reasons to go with Wordpress across the board.

Randall
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #59: May 09, 2011, 10:21:21 pm »

There are good reasons to consider Joomla

FWIW, I was looking at Joomla for another purpose a few months back and there was a lot of review material and feedback from IT people at work that it is very susceptible to hacking and script-kiddy stuff. Might be worth avoiding (at least that was the conclusion I came to for my own usage).

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.