The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 10:02:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 10:02:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: General Plans For The Cauldron 4.0 (Comments Wanted)  (Read 41246 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #75: May 12, 2011, 10:13:17 am »

This part scares me. I will wait and see what happens of course, but if FB is in any way required to log in, I will not be able to post again. Too many devout, fire and brimstone people on my FB. I'll go back to my hole now and wait it out.

A lot of forums and websites give the option of having an account or logging in with your FB account. As long as you have your regular account, you won't need to worry about FB at all- it's an option for flexibility, not a requirement.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #76: May 12, 2011, 11:31:41 am »

This part scares me. I will wait and see what happens of course, but if FB is in any way required to log in, I will not be able to post again. Too many devout, fire and brimstone people on my FB. I'll go back to my hole now and wait it out.

More likely it'll be the other way around: Rather than *requiring* FB to log in, it will be *possible* to log in using FB instead of the regular forum login. That, at least, is how another board where I lurk operates, as do a few news sites and such. Like you, I'll wait and see how this shakes out.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #77: May 12, 2011, 11:32:28 am »

Facebook will not be required. It may allow people who HAVE a Facebook account to register and/or log in with it -- if they wish to. If it does, it will be opt-in.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #78: May 28, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »

3) Better Social Networking: We planned to continue to improve TCN, our social network. It was hosted on Ning and members liked it. Then Ning went from free to pay ($20+/month). We tried running our own social network using the open source Elgg software. It has no real anti-spam features and soon starting getting 50 to 100 spammers registering every day. I had to turn off registration and manually register people. They pretty much killed interest in TCN. Elgg doesn't like our recent server software update much and I can't figure out how to fix it. I'm sorry to report that "It's dead, Jim". I don't expect it to come back to life.
[/quote]

I'm very happy to report that it looks like vBulletin will handle our social network needs.

1) It has a friends system that seems to work (and unlike elgg, both people have to want to be friends -- one way relationships are contacts).

2) Members can upload pictures to albums.

3) Members can create Social Groups which have a "light" version of a forum, it's own picture album, can be limited membership if the group owner wants. They might get their own calendars at some point in the near future.

These seem to be the features used most in our various previous attempts at social networks, so I think we can manage. At least it will work and not be overrun with spammers. And when you sign in to the board you are also signed in for the "social network".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #79: June 07, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »

After some testing, I've decided that we will probably NOT try to import messages from this forum into our new vBulletin forum. The process is very slow and needs a lot of cleanup work. Also you have to finish the important and cleanup before you configure the forum with mods and such. This would mean we'd have to shut down this forum to new posts and probably not have a forum to post in again for three or four days -- more if I can't devote 3-4 days uninterrupted by the real world to this.

So I think we will do like we have with previous forum moves and start fresh in the new forum.  One nice think is that vBulletin allows forums to be links to other places. This means we can have an "Archive Forum" that would actually be a link to this board.

Randall
ehbowen
Master Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 01:51:40 am

Religion: Southern Baptist

The Loco Engineer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #80: June 17, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »

====
==== COMMENTS WANTED
====

As you can see, these plans are not yet fixed in stone, but we are to the point where final decisions need to be made and work started. Your input is strongly requested.

In the new board/forum, could you have a central page or link concisely outlining the various donation options? While I'm not ready to become a monthly donor, I would be willing to contribute at the $25 a year level or thereabouts. I've seen ads mentioning that option, but I've just combed the board looking for a link or more information and haven't found it (although I have found the gold/silver/bronze/cancer fund information). Just a suggestion.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Where's the KABOOM!? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.—treekisser
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #81: June 17, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »

In the new board/forum, could you have a central page or link concisely outlining the various donation options? While I'm not ready to become a monthly donor, I would be willing to contribute at the $25 a year level or thereabouts. I've seen ads mentioning that option, but I've just combed the board looking for a link or more information and haven't found it (although I have found the gold/silver/bronze/cancer fund information). Just a suggestion.

Good idea. I'll see what I can do.

I am still considering donation/subscription options. The board comes with a built-in subscription system, but there are a couple of modes that replace it with what the mod-developer (at least) considers a better donation system.

Randall
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #82: June 18, 2011, 09:04:25 pm »

could you have a central page or link

Also for staff info.  Most notably, how they prefer to be contacted.  All I can remember is that some staff have strong preferences.  Aside from Randall, I don't remember who else has a preference, and I don't remember anybodies preference.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #83: June 18, 2011, 09:19:02 pm »

Also for staff info.  Most notably, how they prefer to be contacted.  All I can remember is that some staff have strong preferences.  Aside from Randall, I don't remember who else has a preference, and I don't remember anybodies preference.

FWIW, I'm senior staff and I don't remember (other than Randall) either half the time.  So what I'm saying is, this might be a good idea.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #84: June 18, 2011, 10:59:04 pm »

We have staff info on the sidebar of every forum page now. The new forum should have that and a autogenerated "Forum Leaders" page as well. None of this gives contact preferences and I'm not sure how it could be added to either page.  Adding yet a third location listing staff seems like it would just be confusing, but perhaps we can come up with something.

Randall
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #85: June 19, 2011, 06:37:52 am »

We have staff info on the sidebar of every forum page now. The new forum should have that and a autogenerated "Forum Leaders" page as well. None of this gives contact preferences and I'm not sure how it could be added to either page.  Adding yet a third location listing staff seems like it would just be confusing, but perhaps we can come up with something.

Currently, each staff member's name in the sidebar is a link that goes to their profile.  Could we make those links go to their chosen contact method instead?  (For example, if someone clicked on your name they'd get the page to send you an e-mail through the forum, and if they clicked on mine they'd get the PM page.)

It isn't foolproof, since obviously this wouldn't help people sending us messages through our profiles, but it might be a start.

Maybe staff could state their contact preference in their profiles (in the bio section or something)?...

Just throwing out ideas...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #86: June 19, 2011, 06:48:01 am »

Maybe staff could state their contact preference in their profiles (in the bio section or something)?...

This one sounds like the most practical (re: simplest with less hassle) idea to me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #87: June 19, 2011, 07:53:37 am »

Currently, each staff member's name in the sidebar is a link that goes to their profile.  Could we make those links go to their chosen contact method instead?  (For example, if someone clicked on your name they'd get the page to send you an e-mail through the forum, and if they clicked on mine they'd get the PM page.)

I'll have to look into it. It could be done with SMF. I don't know about vBulletin. And it could only be done with the link box I create, it could not be done with the Leader page vBulletin generates.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #88: June 19, 2011, 11:47:37 am »

I'll have to look into it. It could be done with SMF. I don't know about vBulletin. And it could only be done with the link box I create, it could not be done with the Leader page vBulletin generates.

I've looked and I believe we can do something with our staff list (the Sidebar one) to give a contact link with the new board.

Randall
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #89: June 29, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »

After some testing, I've decided that we will probably NOT try to import messages from this forum into our new vBulletin forum. The process is very slow and needs a lot of cleanup work. Also you have to finish the important and cleanup before you configure the forum with mods and such. This would mean we'd have to shut down this forum to new posts and probably not have a forum to post in again for three or four days -- more if I can't devote 3-4 days uninterrupted by the real world to this.

So I think we will do like we have with previous forum moves and start fresh in the new forum.  One nice think is that vBulletin allows forums to be links to other places. This means we can have an "Archive Forum" that would actually be a link to this board.

So, does this mean that all of the threads on the "archive" forum will be locked after the new forum starts? 

I had assumed that this was the case, but then a friend asked me about it and I thought I'd verify to make sure. 

Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.