The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 06:40:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 06:40:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Plans once you move out?  (Read 5665 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 07, 2011, 12:34:04 pm »

Hey!

I'm just getting used to the idea that I'm legal now (even though I have been for quite some time) and that I'll be moving out of the house and away from my parents relatively soon for college. I've still got to wrap my mind around the freedom that means: I can think about joining the pagan community in real life now, not just online.

I'm still trying to decide what I will do with my new freedom. Unfortunately, there is no pagan student group at my college. Will I be the one to start it? Will I go out and attend the public ritual once in a while? Finding a coven doesn't interest me for me moment, I'll definitely stay pretty solitary.

What are your plans for once you get out of the house? Do you want to find a teacher? Find a coven? Or maybe just the occasional public ritual when you find the time? Do you feel it's important to find a college with a pagan student group or in a town that has a pagan community?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 08, 2011, 11:02:18 am »

What are your plans for once you get out of the house?

I too will be off to college when I first get out of the house, and I worry that could actually mean less practice for me for a while. I definitely anticipate less privacy. I don't see myself joining a coven either because I'm pretty eclectic.  What I'm most looking forward to when I live by myself or in my own house is being able to decorate in pagany ways and for the holidays.

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 09, 2011, 05:37:53 am »

What I'm most looking forward to when I live by myself or in my own house is being able to decorate in pagany ways and for the holidays.

Yeah TOTALLY. I once saw this pagan-themed calendar at barns & noble that had all the sabbats noted instead of christian holidays and I thought "I'd buy that if I wasn't living at home" so if I ever see it again, I will. ^_^

Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 10, 2011, 10:13:38 am »

Hey!

I'm just getting used to the idea that I'm legal now (even though I have been for quite some time) and that I'll be moving out of the house and away from my parents relatively soon for college. I've still got to wrap my mind around the freedom that means: I can think about joining the pagan community in real life now, not just online.

I'm still trying to decide what I will do with my new freedom. Unfortunately, there is no pagan student group at my college. Will I be the one to start it? Will I go out and attend the public ritual once in a while? Finding a coven doesn't interest me for me moment, I'll definitely stay pretty solitary.

What are your plans for once you get out of the house? Do you want to find a teacher? Find a coven? Or maybe just the occasional public ritual when you find the time? Do you feel it's important to find a college with a pagan student group or in a town that has a pagan community?

I actually just moved out of my house and onto my own, even though I have been legal for about 3years now Tongue Anyways, the last time some people tried to start a Pagan community in my town it didn't go down so well. The thing is me and a few others got together and decided we wanted one and were going to give it a go. So I have been as active in that as I possibly can. It feels great to be a part of something so amazing that can only benefit myself and others of like-minded beliefs in the long run!

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 10, 2011, 11:35:53 am »

Well, I'm 24 so I'm not really a teen anymore Smiley but for a number of reasons I still live at home with my parents. I've been thinking about what will change when I move out (I'm hoping in the next 12 months). I know that I want to end up in a place that has a pagan community so I can meet other like-minded people, but I'm not interested in public ritual or joining any practicing groups. Maybe a study group, though.

One thing that I really look forward to is having the space and ability to organize my shrines as I please. While my parents have no problem with my beliefs, my mother is a meddler and a micro-manager, and likes to rearrange my things when I'm gone to how she thinks they would look nicer or work better. I've attempted to get her to stop but it's more work than it's worth, honestly. So being able to have things how I like them is something I really look forward to.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 12, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »

thing is me and a few others got together and decided we wanted one and were going to give it a go.

How did you find these people? One of my thoughts about the potential for working with others is how I would find other pagans in the area.

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 13, 2011, 10:26:01 am »

How did you find these people? One of my thoughts about the potential for working with others is how I would find other pagans in the area.

Witchvox maybe? They have a listing of pagans by area.
http://www.witchvox.com/

Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 05, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

I still have another full year before I'm done with school, so I haven't done much research. Since I don't know which university I'll be going to, looking for pagan support is kinda a moot point. I may even stay at home, since I live in a university town already. My family situation is very accepting, so there's nothing I'm dying to do as soon as I'm free to. I'm happy as a solitary and I don't plan to look for covens... but I think I'll be glad to be able to go to the odd open moot, if I bring myself to come out of the broom closet.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
stephaniexelizabeth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 03:31:50 pm

Religion: Trad. Witchcraft Novice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 05, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

I'll be a Senior in August as well as taking college classes towards my Associate's.

More realistically, I'll be moving out at 20 (when I finish my Associate's) but I'd love to move out before hand. My beliefs, however, don't really have much to do with wanting to move out.

There is nothing I could do alone that I can't do here.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 06, 2011, 12:17:36 pm »

My beliefs, however, don't really have much to do with wanting to move out.

I don't think they honestly do for many of us. I was more wandering whether moving out would give you more freedom to express your religious beliefs and act on them. So I suppose you're not in the broom closet?

(1000 post mark! ^_^)

stephaniexelizabeth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 03:31:50 pm

Religion: Trad. Witchcraft Novice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 06, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

I don't think they honestly do for many of us. I was more wandering whether moving out would give you more freedom to express your religious beliefs and act on them. So I suppose you're not in the broom closet?

(1000 post mark! ^_^)

Oh, I know, I didn't mean everyone did. I didn't mean for my post to come across as harsh Smiley

My parents know I don't believe what they believe (well, my dad doesn't know what he believes but my mom does). It's more of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing. They see the books I get from the library and what I read. My mom's biggest concern is me giving my soul to the devil Roll Eyes

Everything I do, I do in my room so I suppose in moving out I could do it in the living room or kitchen or whatever if I want, but eh, I like keeping my private things in a private spot, even if living alone.

I don't really feel an urge to join a local coven or group or what have you, so that doesn't play much of a role either.

It'll be nice to order things from "witchy" stores online though and not worrying about my parents getting freaked out by what's inside (tarot cards, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:11:50 pm by stephaniexelizabeth » Logged

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 07, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »

I'm not a teen anymore, but I just recently re-moved out of my parents house. I don't really connect much with the pagan community, but I did consider joining my school's atheist club. Because we can have nerdy science discussions. Not that I can't have that with pagans, but they might be more inclined to talk about more spiritual things, and I've never been very good at those conversations.

So far, I've set up a shrine. It's pretty simple, but it's just nice that I can have it sitting in the living room with no one bothering it. While my mother knows about my religion, I don't think she likes it all that much and wouldn't have liked me having the shrine. Especially because it's something I built myself, so she would have just called it trash (I call it recycling) and told me to keep it out of sight. My roommate and I can now also celebrate whatever holidays we want in whatever way we want.

The thing I like best about having my own place is the fact that I feel more connected to my god there. For whatever reason, I just don't feel his presence at my mother's house. Which makes me a sad moose. I'm definitely happier now.
WhatIf
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 06:59:01 pm

Religion: Neo-pagan. Buddhist. Still searching.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 15, 2011, 06:30:09 pm »

My plans are to get more involved. I can't really do much because there's too much going on in my house, and I share my room with my sister. It can be a bit difficult to practice.

The college that I'm thinking I'd really like to go to is Christian, so no coming out of the broom closet publicly for me. I probably won't find a coven or teacher, either. I'm not a social person, and prefer to be on my own, doing my own things. Someday, in the far future, I will, but not anytime soon.

And I will have a shrine. A proper one. That I don't have to be careful about hiding or making unrecognizable as a shrine.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)