The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 10:54:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 10:54:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where's your shrine?  (Read 5422 times)
LonelyPagan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 15, 2011, 05:17:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: VallaNe'Gwarian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 08, 2011, 12:49:24 am »

Sorry if this is at the wrong place, but this seemed a good a spot as any.  I was just curious as to where you put your shrines, it's not important but I'd like to know

Cthulhu for President 2012
      *No More Years*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SeaShine
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2013, 01:01:17 pm

Religion: Hellenic-ish/ Stoic/Devotee of Poseidon.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 08, 2011, 02:40:33 am »

Sorry if this is at the wrong place, but this seemed a good a spot as any.  I was just curious as to where you put your shrines, it's not important but I'd like to know

Mine's on a 3-tier corner shelf above my bed.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 08, 2011, 03:33:13 am »

Sorry if this is at the wrong place, but this seemed a good a spot as any.  I was just curious as to where you put your shrines, it's not important but I'd like to know

On the top of my dresser Smiley  I have a small double-doored cabinet where I keep my statue of  Ausir.  Aset and Nebet Het stand on either side of the cabinet. 
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: May 08, 2011, 07:45:44 am »

My Hestia shrine is in the kitchen, because that seemed like the appropriate place, and consists of nothing more than a candle and an offering bowl.

My Apollo shrine is a little wooden 2-drawer filing cabinet (active shrine--embroidered cloth, oil lamp, candles, offering bowl--on top, supplies and some books in the drawers) in my bedroom, which is maybe not the best place but that's where it fits and it seems to work.

I also have a sort of mini-shrine for Apollo in my cube at work, with an LED candle on the desk and a few relevant images pinned to the cube wall above it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Heliocoptero
Journeyman
Last Login:September 29, 2012, 06:56:54 pm
Portugal Portugal

Religion: Religio Romana

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 08, 2011, 09:32:34 am »

Since I'm living in a shared flat, they're all in my bedroom.

My Lararium is on a dresser next to my bed. It includes a small clay altar to my Lares, along with six (soon to be seven) other altars to Roman gods and goddesses, a cup with coins for the housewights, and my ritual dish and spoon. I also set aside a shelf for Khnum, where I keep my clay working tools, and Anubis has His small corner right here on the table.

The situation is different at my parents house, where the shrines are more dispersed: in my bedroom, in the living and dinning rooms, and the kitchen. Pretty much what will happen when I have my own flat.

Helio
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 08, 2011, 09:50:19 am »

My current setup,

I have a shrine to Juno on the mantle in my living room. It doesn't really look like a shrine, unless you know what you're looking for. Mostly, it just looks like decorative items. There is a statue representation of Her, some candles and vases for flowers. This is where I honor Her, leave offerings and pray.

I also have an altar in my bedroom where I keep my tools and such for spell work and the Wiccan-ish things that I do.

The two practices don't really overlap at all, so I keep it separate.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 08, 2011, 09:57:07 am »

A small table in my front room (I have a tiny little apartment - 400 square feet - so I walk by it all the time that way.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 08, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »

Working altarspace on the bottom shelf of a bookcase.  (I have also used the top shelves of bookcases as shrines, hanging a white cloth in front of the statues when they were not revealed.)

House shrine is on a cabinet gotten for that purpose in the living room.  Hetharu and Lilitu shrines are on top of the speakers.  Set's shrine is in the bedroom, the pervy voyeur, on top of the cabinet where I keep extra ritual supplies and bondage rope.  Ganesha has a spot in the window between the kitchen and dining room with the candy bowl.

Ancestor shrine in the bedroom on my dresser, which is on the west wall.

The Celt has a prosperity shrine in his office on the dresser.

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 10, 2011, 12:31:28 am »

Right now mine is on the second shelf on my bookcase, but as soon as I get my own place, it will be moved to a table in the main part of the house.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Kilmeny
Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 07:09:08 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist, Brigidine, TW

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 10, 2011, 03:20:29 am »

I think it is important as placement can be significant both traditionally and symbolically.

My Shrine is on the mantelpiece in my bed room, which was originally the parlour/sitting room of our 100 year old house. I'd really like to have another on the mantelpiece in the main living room too, but my family don't all share my religion. The bedroom mantelpiece works nicely though as it's still a hearth of sorts and I can use the internal fireplace too when needed.

Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 12, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

I have an outdoor shrine near the garden and the oak trees for the nature spirits. I also invite my ancestors to come eat with me at dinner and we make a spirit plate for them. It has a specific place it goes on the coffee table because we don't have a dining room yet. After we are done eating I take the plate outside and set it near the nature alter so that the critters may take what is left of the offering or I return it to the Earth.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 16, 2011, 09:11:14 am »

At the moment?  On a space in front of the books on the bookshelf above my head.  I just moved into college, and I have no table for it, and I'm still working out the kinks in my storage system so everything fits in less space than it needs  Cheesy  So yeah, it's a temporary spot.  When I get/find a little more space, then I'll start a proper one again.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 16, 2011, 09:34:59 am »

I have two in my bedroom, sort of, though one I just consider a kind of "sacred shelf" where I keep all my magical and ritual gear, except for my athame which is usually tucked into my dresser drawer. The other actual "shrine" is the top of my dresser where I light spell candles or candles for Brigid. I still live at home with family members who aren't aware of my religion or practices, so the shelf is overhead to prevent anyone from getting a good look at all the pretties and the "shrine" I keep plain, with no decoration other than the candles, so it doesn't look overtly religious or occult.

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
PhantomQueen
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 20, 2011, 10:29:39 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 18, 2011, 11:07:57 pm »

I have an altar for Brighid in my living room.  It's a shelf unit of sorts with a white cloth over it to hide the 'junky bits' and not detract from the altar itself.  There's also an ancester altar in the living room.  My Morrigan altar is in my bedroom up against the north wall.  It's smaller than I'd like it to be due to lack of space and not a bit enough table available, but once I get my situation sorted out, I'll be making a separate little place just for this altar. 
dakini
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 04:19:58 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 19, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

I live in a studio apartment, so it's the top of one of my short bookcases. I have a candle to Elegua on the right with some sweets for him in an offering bowl, seashell and some Goddess stuff on the left, my crystals which charge on the shrine, an incense burner with Ganesha's head on it, a pentagram soapstone cone burner which I also use for charging, flowers, a pyramid, and a wooden skull from Nepal.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)