The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2022, 12:36:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2022, 12:36:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: New Vbulletin Board 4.x Coming (Ideas Wanted)  (Read 20458 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 10, 2011, 08:27:34 am »

As we have been discussing in the General Plans For The Cauldron 4.0 thread, we are moving from SMF do to its many problems (and the fact that it does not look like the upcoming SMF 2.0 will solve many of them). We've decided on Vbulletin 4.x as our replacement board.

This thread is a place to discussion what people would like to see in our new Vbulletin setup. Vbulletin is one of the most common boards used, so many people have experience with it (although perhaps more with the old 3.x versions than the new 4.x versions) and have certain optional features and/or mods they like or do not like. This thread is your place to have your say. The Hosts and Staff have the final say (as does the ability of the server to run the end result smoothly), of course, but your input will be strongly considered.

As if this posting, we don't own a copy of Vbulletin yet. It's commercial software and we are having a fund drive to pay for it. Once we have a copy we'll start playing with it on a test server. Chances are it will be at least a month before we move to the new board (as we what to set it up right the first time), so there is plenty of time for suggestions and discussion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 10, 2011, 09:45:50 am »

This thread is a place to discussion what people would like to see in our new Vbulletin setup. Vbulletin is one of the most common boards used, so many people have experience with it (although perhaps more with the old 3.x versions than the new 4.x versions) and have certain optional features and/or mods they like or do not like. This thread is your place to have your say. The Hosts and Staff have the final say (as does the ability of the server to run the end result smoothly), of course, but your input will be strongly considered.

This has been touched-upon in the other thread but I think it merits repeating (especially since I'm not sure if it's standard package or you need to get a mod to do it): Member created social groups.  This would replicate something we lost when we lost TCN and it would give like-minded members a place to discuss a certain topic that probably wouldn't work well as a SIG (such as the GLBT+ and Paranormal).  Although I'm not sure which member groups would/could be allowed to create them or not.  I remember one TCN group that was redundant because we had a pre-existing SIG for it...

Oh and I would like for it to have a truffle dispenser in the corner but I'm not quite sure there's a mod for that Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 10, 2011, 11:18:08 am »

Oh and I would like for it to have a truffle dispenser in the corner but I'm not quite sure there's a mod for that Cheesy

Right next to the coffee pot and tea station!

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 10, 2011, 11:22:10 am »

Member created social groups.

This, definitely. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment, but that's probably because I haven't been on a vB board in a while. Once we have a test board to play with I might have some actual ideas.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 10, 2011, 12:38:13 pm »

This has been touched-upon in the other thread but I think it merits repeating (especially since I'm not sure if it's standard package or you need to get a mod to do it): Member created social groups.  This would replicate something we lost when we lost TCN and it would give like-minded members a place to discuss a certain topic that probably wouldn't work well as a SIG (such as the GLBT+ and Paranormal).  Although I'm not sure which member groups would/could be allowed to create them or not.  I remember one TCN group that was redundant because we had a pre-existing SIG for it...

We will definitely have those. I know everyone will not have the ability to create one as then people would create too many that will never go anywhere because the person starting is no longer active on the board. However, we'll come up with something.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 10, 2011, 12:49:54 pm »

TTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 10, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

TTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scratch that because Lyric would exhaust the machine in about an hour Cheesy

And $190 as of 11AM?  That has got to be a new record.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 10, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »

We will definitely have those. I know everyone will not have the ability to create one as then people would create too many that will never go anywhere because the person starting is no longer active on the board. However, we'll come up with something.

Maybe moderators can create such groups at the request of members.  I don't know what criteria would need to be established.  Maybe:

-non-redunance
-known interest by other members.  If I want to start a group on potatoes that might not get much discussion
-member's willingness/ability to maintain said group.  I were a mod I'd be hesitant to approve a group request if someone had been a TC member for two days.  Maybe someone needs to show some committment to TC first.  

Alternatively:  members can get the ability to start their own group at the permission of mods.  Or, they can get that ability after they have been on TC for a certain amount of time.  

Just throwing ideas out to see if any stick to the wall Wink

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 10, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »

And $190 as of 11AM?  That has got to be a new record.

We had about $100 last night with only the post in the original discussion thread -- which was meant as more of a test for the paypal code. If you do the paypal code the standard way on SMF it doesn't would and takes you to a weird error page on SMF. Naturally, I have to rediscover how to make it work with every new code. Sad

I expect we'll have a Vbulletin license by this evening.  I'm impressed with our members yet again.

Randall
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 10, 2011, 03:51:43 pm »

Right next to the coffee pot and tea station!

I'd like to put in a request for half-and-half and raw sugar to kept close by as well.

*tea snob*

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 10, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

We now have a Vbulletin forum license. This means I can actually look at available modifications and such. Thanks again to everyone who donated -- and so quickly -- to make this possible.

Randall
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 10, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »

*tea snob*

I want agave nectar.

(Kicking snobbery up a notch)   Tongue
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 10, 2011, 07:18:30 pm »

I'd like to put in a request for half-and-half and raw sugar to kept close by as well.

*tea snob*

Sugar, bleh.  Tongue Organic local honey, to boost anti-allergens! Wink

/hippy.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: May 10, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »

This thread is a place to discussion what people would like to see in our new Vbulletin setup.

In the realm of "don't know how possible it is, but if I were building my dream system":  mobile access.  I'd be able to keep up a bit better (in theory, when I get my technical issues resolved and the crunch is off at work) if there were a more streamlined way to access the site that was geared toward lower bandwidth.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 10, 2011, 09:30:18 pm »

In the realm of "don't know how possible it is, but if I were building my dream system":  mobile access.  I'd be able to keep up a bit better (in theory, when I get my technical issues resolved and the crunch is off at work) if there were a more streamlined way to access the site that was geared toward lower bandwidth.

It will definitely be there. There are at least two plugins for VB4 I'm aware of that will use a couple of mobile apps (iphone and android). The apps run US$2 or US$3 dollars from their respective app stores and will work with many forums. The forum plugin that makes it work with the app free for forums.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.