The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 11:23:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 11:23:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: New Vbulletin Board 4.x Coming (Ideas Wanted)  (Read 13561 times)
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 11, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »

It will definitely be there. There are at least two plugins for VB4 I'm aware of that will use a couple of mobile apps (iphone and android). The apps run US$2 or US$3 dollars from their respective app stores and will work with many forums. The forum plugin that makes it work with the app free for forums.

That will make my life! I've got a train trip twice a day now and being able to access TC on the train would make it possible for me to be an active contributing member again.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: May 11, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

That will make my life! I've got a train trip twice a day now and being able to access TC on the train would make it possible for me to be an active contributing member again.

Take a look at these two. I'm leaning toward Forumrunner now, but a lot will depend on which will actually work best with our modded Vbulletin setup.  And that will not be known for a few weeks or so.

http://www.forumrunner.net/

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 11, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

Has anyone checked user reviews on those? I have a Droid, and I'm glad to see Droid support for both. That would make this the second app I've actually bought since I got the phone.

As far as the board setup, I hope it won't have those gawd-awful ads the Trek BBS has. I only put up with them there because of the quality of the posts (and because I'm friends with the board admin).

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: May 11, 2011, 06:57:09 pm »

Has anyone checked user reviews on those?

Not that i know of. I will set up whichever one people want PROVIDED that one will work well with the mods used on our board. It might even be possible to set up for both, but I've heard conflicting reports on whether this is possible (or desirable).

As far as the board setup, I hope it won't have those gawd-awful ads the Trek BBS has. I only put up with them there because of the quality of the posts (and because I'm friends with the board admin).

Ads will be more or less what we have here. No pop-overs or other forms of advertising generally considered "highly annoying".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: May 11, 2011, 07:48:17 pm »

Has anyone checked user reviews on those?

Can't speak for the Android, but from the Apple end:

Tapatalk has a very good rating in the App Store, looks like around 4.5 stars out of five averaged from over 500 ratings.  At a glance, the one-star ratings seem to fall into two categories:  people complaining about crashes (which really is a danger with anything), and people who seem not to understand that the forum has to install the plugin to work with it and are holding their chosen forum's lack of plugin against the app.  Google gets me a bunch of also-really-positive reviews from various app-centric sites.

Forum Runner has... significantly less information available.  No reviews in the App Store, and Google only brings up a couple (but they're positive).  I sort of think I like its look better, but I'm a little nervous about the lack of data.  Because of that, from the Apple side of things at least, I'd lean toward Tapatalk over Forum Runner.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 11, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

All other things being equal, my vote goes to rich Android functionality over rich iPhone functionality. In this case forumrunner looks to have the edge.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 12, 2011, 04:23:49 pm »

Take a look at these two. I'm leaning toward Forumrunner now, but a lot will depend on which will actually work best with our modded Vbulletin setup.  And that will not be known for a few weeks or so.

They both seem to have reasonable reviews for Android, which is my phone.  I'll work with anything, I'm flexible that way.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: May 12, 2011, 05:30:02 pm »

They both seem to have reasonable reviews for Android, which is my phone.  I'll work with anything, I'm flexible that way.

I'm starting to play with a test version of Vbulletin. There is a LOT to learn compared to SMF, but the capabilities also seem awesome. I'm glad I don't have to have the new board up and running immediately.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: May 13, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

Latest Update: I've bought more paper (discovered we were out this morning) and am starting to print out sections of the vBulletin manual. This should help move things along. Progress is slow, but I am hoping to have the first test board set up and semi-open for member testing my Monday. ::fingers crossed::

Randall
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 14, 2011, 07:14:20 am »

*bringing tea and truffles for the work and the wait* Wink

My two cents:

- I'd love social networking like we had with TCN, if it's possible.

- I'm not sure which adds are possible for member profiles, but having setups for maybe sharing pictures, articles, friend networks etc. similar to social network would be a nice addition if possible. I'd also love the option to save unfinished post drafts. (There's an area for notices now, but it quickly gets unorganized.)

- But I must say I'm not very keen on having more intense facebook connections (which was mentioned in the previous thread). It makes me especially shudder to imagine people regularly 'like' TC-threads on fb, which could create a lot of outside meta-discussions about threads on TC. I don't have a problem however with people having a fb-button under their avatars or individual stuff like that, it's just that I'm not very comfortable with TC-discussions spreading out to fb. (But I guess people could already post a link to a specific TC-thread on fb and discuss it.)

- I guess we would also still have the article sections like pagan primer, book reviews etc? It might also be cool to have a corner for sharing pictures and artwork.

But of course, I'd still adore TC if it comes without all the additions and at the moment I don't have money to donate for non-essential additions if they are expensive...so just describing my dream-TC here. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: May 14, 2011, 08:02:09 am »

- I'd love social networking like we had with TCN, if it's possible.

- I'm not sure which adds are possible for member profiles, but having setups for maybe sharing pictures, articles, friend networks etc. similar to social network would be a nice addition if possible. I'd also love the option to save unfinished post drafts. (There's an area for notices now, but it quickly gets unorganized.)

vBulletin comes with member picture galleries and buddies (which are something like friends, I guess) in profiles. Messages/Comments can also be left in profiles. Social groups work something like socials groups on TCN (only withou all the special features. The group forum isn't as nice as the real forum, but it is probably better than the current TCN. I think there is a draft posts mod, I can't remember.

But I must say I'm not very keen on having more intense facebook connections (which was mentioned in the previous thread). It makes me especially shudder to imagine people regularly 'like' TC-threads on fb, which could create a lot of outside meta-discussions about threads on TC. I don't have a problem however with people having a fb-button under their avatars or individual stuff like that, it's just that I'm not very comfortable with TC-discussions spreading out to fb. (But I guess people could already post a link to a specific TC-thread on fb and discuss it.)

The builtin FB Connection is about logging in via FB if one wants to. I'm not even sure we will activate it. There are "like this thread" addins, but we probably will not use them. WE may not even use the FB connect part.

I guess we would also still have the article sections like pagan primer, book reviews etc? It might also be cool to have a corner for sharing pictures and artwork.

Everything we have now will stay where it is on ecauldron.net. New Material will go on ecauldron.com with the new board. Major SIGs will have their own mini-sites (powered by Wordpress). New "general" articles and book reviews may actually end up in a Article section of the board -- we haven't decided yet.

But of course, I'd still adore TC if it comes without all the additions and at the moment I don't have money to donate for non-essential additions if they are expensive...so just describing my dream-TC here. Smiley

We may need a donation drive for a few addons, I don't know yet. There is a lot we can do with the basic vBulletin and free mods. We'll generally look at these first as free or already paid for is good.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: May 14, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »

The first test vBulletin board is up and ready for member testing. If you are a member of The Cauldron, see this thread in the private Cauldron Community forum: TEST: First vBulletin Test Board Available. It has info about how to find the test board and try it out.

Randall
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 14, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »

The builtin FB Connection is about logging in via FB if one wants to. I'm not even sure we will activate it. There are "like this thread" addins, but we probably will not use them. WE may not even use the FB connect part.

FWIW I would very much like to see this enabled. I understand that there are some people who do not want their spiritual life integrated with their public life, but some of us do and I certainly would prefer to have an integrated experience of my online world. It would save me a lot of time and greatly improve my participation on TC if I could like a thread and therefore receive meaningful updates and opportunities to respond. I realise I can get an email currently, but it's only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to this sort of notification.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 14, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »

FWIW I would very much like to see this enabled. I understand that there are some people who do not want their spiritual life integrated with their public life, but some of us do and I certainly would prefer to have an integrated experience of my online world. It would save me a lot of time and greatly improve my participation on TC if I could like a thread and therefore receive meaningful updates and opportunities to respond. I realise I can get an email currently, but it's only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to this sort of notification.

Quite a few folks I know have multiple FB accounts for different purposes. It'd be easy enough to have an FB account for spiritual/religious connections in addition to a mundane one. Just musing aloud . . .

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: May 14, 2011, 09:54:02 pm »

I'd like to know more about how it would work first.  I keep my religious activity strictly separated from my Facebook account because I'm not "out" to my extended family (many of whom have me friended on Facebook),  and don't fancy having that separation breached because of forum connectivity.  Nor am I about to establish a separate Facebook account for this purpose; I have enough things to keep track of as it is, and have seen such attempts fail in the past.  Even if I were willing to do something along those lines, I couldn't impose that kind of thing on the rest of our membership.  I think it's important that we understand this fully before we decide to use it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.