The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 12:46:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 12:46:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: New Vbulletin Board 4.x Coming (Ideas Wanted)  (Read 13521 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: May 14, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

FWIW I would very much like to see this enabled. I understand that there are some people who do not want their spiritual life integrated with their public life, but some of us do and I certainly would prefer to have an integrated experience of my online world.

Noted. I'm still undecided about this. Mainly because I'm not sure how it works. I know it has to be set up carefully or Facebook Connect creates accounts for people bypassing all the stuff we use to prevent spammers from accessing the board, ignores our age restriction (13 or older, required by US law), bypasses the email account verification, etc. It's apparently not impossible to make it work correctly (not bypass stuff), but it is supposedly not straightforward.  Also it creates accounts with a username equal the the Facebook name -- which can be a problem for some people.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 15, 2011, 12:22:30 am »

Quite a few folks I know have multiple FB accounts for different purposes. It'd be easy enough to have an FB account for spiritual/religious connections in addition to a mundane one. Just musing aloud . . .

Thing is - this is a violation of FB policy (so is using something that's not your legal name.)

Facebook hasn't generally gone after these so far, but there's nothing to say they couldn't. 

(http://www.facebook.com/terms.php - section 4 is the relevant bit, which says:
Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
   2. You will not create more than one personal profile.
   3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
)

In other words, any forum-specific model that assumes either multiple profiles, or that people don't use their legal name is probably not a safe long-term bet. (Including them while they're there, as an option, probably fine. Assuming it's always going to be a viable option is not the one I'd bet on.)

I do have a FB account, but it's under my legal name, and I use it only for professional-friendly interactions, don't link to any explicitly Pagan groups (I do connect with friends who are Pagan, but not, say, becoming a fan of businesses or events that reveal my religion), and am very careful what I say in actual conversation. (Because, frankly, I don't trust FB not to change privacy settings or what is revealed to search engines or other parties suddenly.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #32: May 15, 2011, 06:44:49 am »

I'd like to know more about how it would work first.  I keep my religious activity strictly separated from my Facebook account because I'm not "out" to my extended family (many of whom have me friended on Facebook),  and don't fancy having that separation breached because of forum connectivity.  Nor am I about to establish a separate Facebook account for this purpose; I have enough things to keep track of as it is, and have seen such attempts fail in the past.  Even if I were willing to do something along those lines, I couldn't impose that kind of thing on the rest of our membership.  I think it's important that we understand this fully before we decide to use it.

Wargh.  I was tired and distracted when composing this and it kind of went off-track, sorry.  The above makes it sound like I'm thinking that linking my Facebook account to my TC account would be mandatory, which I know very well it wouldn't be.

I meant simply to express a concern that we fully explore all the implications for our members' privacy before doing this.  I don't trust Facebook's privacy controls; I need to know more about what content from here would be accessible through or displayed on Facebook.  Sorry for any confusion.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 22, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »

So, I was just over there and for some reason I'm not seeing any threads. I can see the boards and the thread titles, but when I click on thread titles, or new post icons I get a blank page. Anyone else having this problem?
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 22, 2011, 01:39:13 pm »

So, I was just over there and for some reason I'm not seeing any threads. I can see the boards and the thread titles, but when I click on thread titles, or new post icons I get a blank page. Anyone else having this problem?

Did you have the theme set? I got it too, somewhere around the time Randall pulled the VB4-blue style. If you go back to a page where it works and change the time it might work. (I thought it was my cache that got messed up but if someone else got it too it might not be.)
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: May 22, 2011, 01:52:01 pm »

Did you have the theme set? I got it too, somewhere around the time Randall pulled the VB4-blue style. If you go back to a page where it works and change the time it might work. (I thought it was my cache that got messed up but if someone else got it too it might not be.)

Oh, I didn't know he'd pulled vb4 blue. I was using that one. I guess I missed a lot the last few days.  I'll try changing the theme and see if that works. Thanks.
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: May 22, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »

Oh, I didn't know he'd pulled vb4 blue. I was using that one. I guess I missed a lot the last few days.  I'll try changing the theme and see if that works. Thanks.

Looks like changing themes fixed the problem.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: May 22, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »

I just pulled it this morning. I discovered it was far too buggy.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.