The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2020, 03:58:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 03:58:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Death  (Read 1291 times)
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 10, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

I was thinking I had posted this one but, apparently, I was mistaken. Either that or I was mistaken on the date because I couldn't find it.

I originally wrote this several months ago for a dear friend of mine who had just lost a good friend of his. However, spending my first Mother's Day without Marian (my mom who passed away October 2010) on 8 May 2011 got me to thinking and I decided this was a message that needed to be heard again.

So, without further ado...

Alfred, Lord Tennyson, tells us “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”. This statement rings true whether it’s death we lose a loved one to, or some other kind of separation.

Many people believe that death is an ending. An ending to a life well-lived OR a life filled with pain, with suffering, with anger, resentment and hurt. Sometimes, it’s an ending that comes too soon. Others believe that death is only a beginning. A beginning to a life free of pain, suffering, anger, resentment, hurt. Some of us believe that death is both an ending AND a beginning.

Death is an ending because, with the death of a relative or dear friend, it is the ending of life as we once knew it. No more are we to see our beloved one’s smiling face or hear his or her voice on the telephone. However, death is also a beginning because it is the beginning of a happy, healthy, HEALED life for our beloved one.

In many cultures, death is not a thing to be feared but, rather, something to be honored and celebrated (El Dia de Los Muertos [The Day of the Dead] in Mexico for example). Unfortunately, many of us here in the United States seem to “put it away and hide it” and treat it as something never talked about. It’s just something that happens even to the best of us. 

My personal feelings on the matter are it’s another step in the journey of life that each and every one of us must take eventually. For some of us, it will be a step into a life that will be far better than the one we had here. We will no longer have whatever life issues, health or otherwise, that plagued us here in this life to deal with. For others, the “status quo” may be “maintained” in that, while we may have fewer life issues to deal with, we will still not have health issues.

Yes, I quite agree that losing a beloved family member or friend to death can be quite shocking and sudden. However, we simply need to remember that our beloved one is free of the body, life and/or health issues that may have held them back from being able to live life to the fullest and our beloved one is healed, hale, hearty and healthy again!

I leave you with some words from “Under Pressure”, a wonderful song by David Bowie and Queen:

“...love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And loves dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves”

If we feel no pain at the passing of a friend or relative, it simply means (to me, at least) that we were not as close to them as we could have been. It is because of our capacity to love that we feel so much hurt when we lose a beloved one and I believe this with every fiber of my being.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 10, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »

I originally wrote this several months ago for a dear friend of mine who had just lost a good friend of his. However, spending my first Mother's Day without Marian (my mom who passed away October 2010) on 8 May 2011 got me to thinking and I decided this was a message that needed to be heard again.

Mother's day was very hard for me this year too. [[[Celtee]]]

If we feel no pain at the passing of a friend or relative, it simply means (to me, at least) that we were not as close to them as we could have been. It is because of our capacity to love that we feel so much hurt when we lose a beloved one and I believe this with every fiber of my being.

Well said -- and very true.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 10, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »

Thanks, Celtee.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)