The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 06:00:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:00:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why does it matter to you?  (Read 2577 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 13, 2011, 03:51:43 am »

What little material we have that tells us of the concerns of the Druids (and other religious role bearers) in historic societies and cultures seems to emphasis a few key areas, such as law, music, genealogy and natural philosophy. What role do these areas of knowledge play in your personal druidism? Why would/should they be important to a contemporary druidic path? What relationship do you see them having to an authentic, comporary Druid?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo
« Reply #1: May 15, 2011, 03:00:18 am »

What little material we have that tells us of the concerns of the Druids (and other religious role bearers) in historic societies and cultures seems to emphasis a few key areas, such as law, music, genealogy and natural philosophy. What role do these areas of knowledge play in your personal druidism? Why would/should they be important to a contemporary druidic path? What relationship do you see them having to an authentic, comporary Druid?

I definitely want to come back to this, because these questions are important and worth delving into... I'm feeling a little scattered at the moment though, and can't formulate any coherent thoughts in response!! I'll toss out some ideas, and you can let me know if I've missed the point of your questions entirely.

For disclosure, my aim is not to "be a Druid." My aim is to walk a druidic path, which is a bit different, to my mind. The roles that those areas of knowledge play in my personal path -- for instance, I don't practice law and I'm not involved in the creation or enforcement of law. However, I can work for social justice, be involved in local and national politics, and mediate for friends and family when there is dispute. The way the druidism informs my path is by telling me that it is my responsibility to do what is in my power to ensure that there is justice, that there is peace, that there is security. I am not a lawgiver, but I still have a duty to create order and harmony in the world, to the best of my ability.   

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 15, 2011, 04:54:07 am »

Thanks for the response and yes, I think you got the point I was getting at. Putting it another way though, these seem to be areas that had spiritual meaning and significance to Druids  and their ilk in the past. I was wanting to know what people who follow modern druidries see as the speiritual significance of these and other areas in thrir contemporary paths.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 16, 2011, 08:55:00 pm »

I definitely want to come back to this, because these questions are important and worth delving into.

Same here, I want to think a little more on what you have asked and give you my best answer.

Those are really great questions, thanks for asking!

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 16, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »

Same here, I want to think a little more on what you have asked and give you my best answer.

Those are really great questions, thanks for asking!

Smiley Ditto Cheesy

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 17, 2011, 05:02:55 am »

Well, for me genealogy is key because in the ADF one of the three Kindreds honored are our ancestors (literal and spiritual). I've always had an interest in genealogy as well but spiritually speaking this clinched it. There's also the whole know where you've been to see where you're going perspective. For me that means learning about the past of those people I am connected to by blood and by philosophy, the choices they made, why those decisions were chosen, and what drove them.

As far as law and natural philosophy understanding the way the world works both that of men and that of raw nature helps me find my place in it. And, again, the ADF also acknowledge local nature spirits as one of the three Kindreds. By understanding more about the natural world I can spend more time with and ideally commune better with these spirits and certainly gain a greater appreciation for the complexity, majesty and beauty of their world/nature. Human laws are important to understand, both in their genesis and evolution to understand, again, where our societies have come from, what we faced, how they've adapted and why. For instance common law heritage from the UK to its colonies and the impact of that etc. This knowledge can help us to live right lives within our societies and understand the intent of purpose of a law even if its implementation and enforcement is wrong and further how that can be adjusted to better reflect the intention of it.

As to music, poetry, art etc I think that touches on the third of the Kindreds, our deities. Art of any kind is a somewhat uniquely human creation and one in which I believe we come closest both to each other and our deities, the study and appreciation of art can therefore be a vehicle and tool for communion, communication, and worship of the deities.

I think there's more that I haven't touched on and I could probably expound ad infitum but that's the bones of it.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 18, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

My primary focus in my Druid path is music and poetry.  These two areas are most important to me in many different aspects of my life, but it's really awesome to have a spirituality based on them. Genealogy, in terms of creating poems and singing them before Kings, is not a big interest to me, but it is a good idea to acknowledge the Ancestors of my people and within my own family.  Natural philosophy is evolving into environmental sustainability, which is very good as a modern practice, given our Earth's peril.  Being environmentally responsible is important to me, so I've incorporated it into my religious practices. 

I think nowadays people are preferring to specialize in one of these areas rather than studying all of them. And I think modern Druids are leaning toward a more spiritual practice rather than the traditional roles of judge/lawyer, poet/musician, seer.  People want to define Druids as priest rather than a multi-functional role within society. 

I have more to say, but my brain is not functioning at high speed today...off to ponder some more on these questions.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)