The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 02:12:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 02:12:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Feast of the Western Valley  (Read 1998 times)
Setnakht
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2011, 01:48:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 14, 2011, 02:52:04 pm »

I would like to share two moving ancient recitations from the ritual for the Beautiful Feast of the Western Valley that appears in the book Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy. The ritual is an annual festival for the blessed dead. The first recitation summons the spirit or spirits being honored:
  “Come forth, O Ausir N, justified. Come forth Ausir N, justified, born of N (justified).
Awake! Turn yourself about, back toward life! Raise yourself up. Bring yourself to me. Arise and receive offerings from my hand. I will be a helper for you.”
  "May you emerge from the earth and behold Ra. May you follow Amun in this, his beautiful festival of the desert valley."

The second recitation accompanies the offering of incense. The ritualist is addressing the deceased:
  “Crossing the river you see heaven, while the fragrance of incense is in front of you and you ferry across heaven adorned. As a transfigured and equipped spirit [Akh] you are adorned most richly, and you eat bread and offerings in front of Ra, from the altars of Djehuty while your intelligence is given to you in the House of Intelligence and your heart in the House of the Heart and an offering is made for you and for your Ka and for your body. Your Ba is in heaven and your body is in the Duat, twice great and twice mighty. You wake up sound and intact in heaven and in your resting place, Ausir, chief of the Westerners, beneficent one, who has no failure in his deeds, and Ausir N justified, born of N (justified.” 

Recently the temple I belong to did the full ritual. It takes an hour or so, and brings together so many insights into how the ancient Egyptians expressed their ongoing relationship to their departed family members and friends. We also did the ritual last year and I find that by repeating it, the ritual becomes more familiar and actually more meaningful. Even if a person did not feel able to do the full ritual, there are so many beautiful sections that it would be pretty easy to select a few for personal use.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Helmsman_of_Inepu
Master Member
Last Login:May 28, 2012, 07:22:37 am

Religion: Kemetic Reconnaissance, Flamekeeping

Blog entries (0)

Helmsman Of-Inepu

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 14, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

I would like to share two moving ancient recitations from the ritual for the Beautiful Feast of the Western Valley that appears in the book Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy.

I recently got a copy of that book, and so far I've been quite impressed. I decided to spring for the hardcover edition, and I'm glad I got it.

Kemetic Writers Group - Fiction and Poetry - Join! Create! Have fun!
Kemetic Reconnaissance blog.
Adding in a bit of Flamekeeping too. (dark flame, bright flame)
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 15, 2011, 03:15:40 am »

Recently the temple I belong to did the full ritual. It takes an hour or so, and brings together so many insights into how the ancient Egyptians expressed their ongoing relationship to their departed family members and friends. We also did the ritual last year and I find that by repeating it, the ritual becomes more familiar and actually more meaningful.

I've always thought this was a beautiful ritual, but it was particularly meaningful this year. I got a sense of serenity and contentment from knowing that my ritual acts could help my brother ascend to a better state.

Last year I did this ritual and was struck by the intense energy.  This year it was very different.  I didn't feel the same intensity but  it flowed better.   I was more comfortable with the ritual acts.  Once upon a time I saw this ritual as sort of intimidating.  Now it's something I reach to for comfort.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)