The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 04:05:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 04:05:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Roll call!  (Read 8108 times)
MadHouseWitch
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 22, 2016, 07:07:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 09, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »

It seems the other SIGs have a roll call thread for introductions, so I thought it would be nice for us to do one as well.  Smiley

Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!

Hi everyone, I finally took the plunge and joined ADF, after what I realized was a year of looking into it thinking about joining.  I started off with Christian family, but inclusive, the only ones who regularly attended Church when I was really little were my Great Grandparents.  They started taking me with them when I was about 4, it was a UU church.  At age 6 I started going to a private Lutheran school, and my Mom and I attended the church affiliated with it (she got a discount) Going to a private school while going to a UU church didnt last that long however, I remember one Sunday school class that said that the Sun was a God and the Moon was a Goddess in some places, and the Lutheran side kicked in and I stopped going, HOWEVER I think that that moment set something in motion because I found so much I did not like about what I was being told at school.  Yes, I started at a very young age!  I was 7 years old when I think I really started to doubt.  Funny though because I used to run outside and race the wind who in my mind at the time was Jesus. 

I realize now that the UU church teachings stuck with me way more than the Lutheran ones did, even though I only attended for 1,2 and 3rd grade.  4th Grade I went public school since my beliefs no longer lined up.  So I was an general, um, "Christian" I think for a while, agnostic is probably more like it.... I didn't believe in Hell, or a God that would damn his children to any such place, I didn't agree with people telling anyone that they were wrong, and I didn't think that the "one way" crap was true. 

Around 6th,or 7th grade, when the movie "The Craft" came out (I know what your thinking) but I really liked the "Its the Rocks, its the Moon, its the trees, its everything man..." and the "True magic is both because nature is both" concepts... I knew that flying and the ability to be struck by lightning were OUT (though admittedly might be kinda cool if it were true)  So the quest started, was there anything like that in real life?  BAMO I found Wicca,  I read all I could get my hands on, which included some bad books (yes, lots of Ravenwolf and yes 21 Lessons of Merlin, and Yes, DJ Conway)  I still kinda "like" Ravenwolf, for the most part though for history I wanted history books,  And 21 Lessons WAS a good story IMO, but the main thing I got from it was a desire to make fire that was green? (I think it was green, it was the section that had the "Shade of Merlin" Alcohol and copper, I think its green) Never did actually TRY it though I still intend to....WEEE Chemistry lesson LOL.

I really thought Wicca was "it" for me, until well, all of my research was questioned,  I backed off doing anything for a few years (it was easy being I had 2 small kids and lived with family and had 2 rooms at the time)  then my rebellion stage started "To heck with what "they" say, I still have some knowledge"  So I started to go back to some of the first books,  Farrars, Sanders, etc.  And I found I really didn't care for most of what was said in those books, being closer to the "original" I decided I wasn't Wiccan, still Pagan Witch though, I was not going to drop the magic (meaning more than just magic work there, the whole pagan idea was magic to me, it clicked it worked I liked how I felt when I did the work)  I floated for quite some time, looked into many different paths, and always boomeranged back to "something Celtic"  Then my Husband found his "path" (Following Norse Gods, but not recon, I think he falls under the "Heathen" label but hes okay with where hes at)

I wanted more focus, and I wanted to incorporate some of the ideas that he was working with (I LOVED the ancestor veneration,  its close to me being that my Mom passed in 2001 I know its not just HER but I really like the idea behind it)

I am one who just is not all that interested in Recon either, 1. If it had survived it would have adapted and changed. 2. The CR movement really has something that turns me off, I cant quite place what it is I think its a few factors though.... Not Wicca-itis, and it seems to me that so much is "this is what we DON'T do, and not enough DOING... I have been trying to do the eclectic thing, but I never felt right mixing pantheons or the like...

I started to do some work with the Celtic Deities (mainly Brigid and Dagda) I'd love to have a Scottish focus but that seems really, really hard to do (maiden name is Glasgow, I have always been obsessed with Scottish things!)
Still I feel something lacking, and so somewhere along the line I found ADF (I think it was a book I picked up.  Cassandra Easons Modern Day Druidess)  I dont think its the best book out there, but its served the purpose to teach me that Druidry was not what I thought it was, and got me looking into it.  Before I read this book I had a few misconceptions in what it was (I was still thinking along the strict recon lines, of priest, and TONS of study)
I peered over at the ADF site almost one year ago, this I remember because of Isaacs death, I looked at ADF shortly before he passed. 

It took me a long time because I rejected the idea of "starting over" I had a fear of whatever I looked into as being the "wrong" things.  However I found myself in a spot where I didnt have direction, I knew that I wanted to drop the Wiccan style ritual, but I still wanted some sort of ritual.  And "winging" it was not working for me.
Anyway a year of managing to keep getting whammied back to the ADF website and I finally committed.  (Its more of a self commitment but still)

Man this intro turned into more like a book!  Thanks for reading and putting up with my rambling.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SadieMae
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 19, 2016, 09:20:59 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Druid-ish, ADF Dedicant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 30, 2011, 08:53:19 am »

It seems the other SIGs have a roll call thread for introductions, so I thought it would be nice for us to do one as well.  Smiley

I should probably introduce myself since I have been lurking here for a little while  Tongue

I have also recently taken the plunge and joined the ADF, mainly because Druidry has really been "speaking" to me in my recent explorations, and because as an Eternal Student (I'm currently doing my Masters thesis in between working and raising a toddler) I work best within a structure, with set readings, assignments etc.

Like a lot of people, I was raised Christian although within a very liberal, accepting branch of Christianity (the Uniting Church) however this has never really resounded with me. I had some Wiccan friends at university, and did a little bit of reading on Wicca however this never became more than just a vague interest. I have always been interested in religion, and have flirted with Buddhism and even Islam in the past, but I think the rest of my life has always gotten in the way.

Weirdly enough, I think it was falling pregnant and having a child (my son is now 15 months old) that triggered my rediscovery of Paganism. I was forced to slow down, reassess where I was, think about what has brought me where I am right now. My partner and I are also getting married in about 8 months time, which is forcing even more reassessment.

Something that motherhood definitely did for me was bring a whole new appreciation and veneration of the natural world. I was surprised at how "hippy" I went when I suddenly had such a tiny little person dependent on me (eg: we switched to cloth nappies, started composting, started making an effort to get all of us out into the sunshine every day rather than stay cooped up inside), and in my rediscovery of Paganism I found that Druidism was what resounded with me the most. 

Anyway, I'm still out exploring, and I'm just taking it all as it comes. It's been great so far...
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 30, 2011, 11:03:11 am »

Weirdly enough, I think it was falling pregnant and having a child (my son is now 15 months old) that triggered my rediscovery of Paganism. I was forced to slow down, reassess where I was, think about what has brought me where I am right now. My partner and I are also getting married in about 8 months time, which is forcing even more reassessment.

Welcome to the SIG! Late congratulations on the son and early congratulations on the marriage. Smiley There are a lot of us working with ADF (as you've probably been able to tell), so if you need anyone to bounce ideas off of this is the perfect place.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Chakabe
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 03:43:41 pm

Religion: Studying Pagan / Druid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 30, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »

Well the basic about me is:
I'm 20.
I still live at home.
My house is centered in a 20 acre lot with surrounding woods and a clearing in the woods.

Onto the real reason I am here:
I came across the idea of druidry not a long time ago (6 months?!) First I wanted to learn witchcraft the from witchcraft I started studying herbs and so on (Did not get far) But over this whole span of time something started pulling you know...something told me that I needed to know more...that there was a great wealth of knowledge rooted in the very soil I stood on. Something Called. It was like the feeling of having someone pull the strings of your heart in a good way.

TO this day I still have that feeling but something is telling me to seek out druidry as not just a philosophy but a faith. Coupled with witchcraft.

So that is the basics, nice to meet you all Smiley

<-- Click the egg please need help hatching-Thank you Cheesy
SadieMae
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 19, 2016, 09:20:59 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Druid-ish, ADF Dedicant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 02, 2011, 03:49:59 am »

Welcome to the SIG! Late congratulations on the son and early congratulations on the marriage. Smiley There are a lot of us working with ADF (as you've probably been able to tell), so if you need anyone to bounce ideas off of this is the perfect place.

Thanks  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)