The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 03:03:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 03:03:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong with U.S.?  (Read 17783 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 16, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »

An interesting analysis in The Hill, taking a different approach to finding out what Americans think is going wrong with our country. (Full disclosure: The commentary is written by a friend of mine; he's been working on this research for a while, and I find its results fascinating.)

Memo to Lawmakers: Speak to Voters as Citizens

As marketers, we asked ourselves, “If we completely depoliticized the conversation, would Americans give us the same standard list of issues [as politicians and the media identify]?” So we took up the challenge and set out to find the answer....

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/161503-memo-to-lawmakers-speak-to-voters-as-citizens?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dd19afca708f8be%2C0

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 16, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »

An interesting analysis in The Hill, taking a different approach to finding out what Americans think is going wrong with our country. (Full disclosure: The commentary is written by a friend of mine; he's been working on this research for a while, and I find its results fascinating.)

I'd like to see a lot more on this research than what this short blog post can give.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 16, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »

Memo to Lawmakers: Speak to Voters as Citizens

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/161503-memo-to-lawmakers-speak-to-voters-as-citizens?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dd19afca708f8be%2C0

Interesting. I really would like to know more bout the study and what measures they took to get a representative sample, how the questions were formatted, how it was interpreted, etc.

On an unrelated note, the only comment currently on that article (by "Landru") is a spectacular example of idiocy which made my roommate think I'm crazy from my resulting mixture of laughter and an urge to hit things/cry/give up in exasperation.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 16, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »

Interesting. I really would like to know more bout the study and what measures they took to get a representative sample, how the questions were formatted, how it was interpreted, etc.

On an unrelated note, the only comment currently on that article (by "Landru") is a spectacular example of idiocy which made my roommate think I'm crazy from my resulting mixture of laughter and an urge to hit things/cry/give up in exasperation.

What, you don't believe in Obama's 'marixist' agenda?!  Shocked

Roll Eyes

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 16, 2011, 10:57:31 pm »

Roll Eyes

How did he get to be 'Marxist'?  I thought he was supposed to be a radical Muslim.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 16, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »

Roll Eyes

For some reason the "marixa" sounds like some kind of South American dance to me so Obama as a "marixist" conjures images which involve lots of hip swinging and Michelle Obama in scandalously little clothing...  Roll Eyes

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 17, 2011, 05:17:07 am »

I'd like to see a lot more on this research than what this short blog post can give.

I know they did a series of focus groups, some with Democrats, some with Republicans, and some with independents...which automatically skews the results somewhat, since that means they only spoke with those registered to vote. So any claims to being representative of the U.S. population as a whole should be taken with that in mind.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 17, 2011, 05:19:13 am »

I know. I took one read, rolled my eyes, and posted a comment of my own--one that actually reflected what the article was discussing.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 17, 2011, 08:11:42 am »

Sadly, this type of comment is far to common in US political discussions today (and all sides do them). They "poison the well" and make real discussion almost impossible.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 17, 2011, 11:57:12 am »

How did he get to be 'Marxist'?  I thought he was supposed to be a radical Muslim.

You can totally be both, at least according to Wikipedia.  Where they lose me is when they call him a Muslim Commie Atheist who follows a radical minister.... Roll Eyes

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 17, 2011, 07:09:02 pm »

You can totally be both, at least according to Wikipedia.  Where they lose me is when they call him a Muslim Commie Atheist who follows a radical minister.... Roll Eyes

I know someone whose religion was Communism, (he had a hard time when the USSR collapsed), I do not know if Atheism is a religion. 

Light your candle.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 17, 2011, 11:36:33 pm »

Where they lose me is when they call him a Muslim Commie Atheist who follows a radical minister.... Roll Eyes
I suspect those who do so only have a vague notion what any of those things mean (other than "different!  bad!").

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 18, 2011, 12:12:32 pm »

I know someone whose religion was Communism, (he had a hard time when the USSR collapsed), I do not know if Atheism is a religion. 

I don't really see how Communism, which is an economic ideology, can be a religion.  I can easily see how it could be tied up with religion, but I don't see how it could stand as a full-blown religion in and of itself.

Atheism is not a religion, it is the absence of a belief in god(s), and usually implies, though does not strictly mean, an absence of general belief in the supernatural.  There are atheists who believe in astrology, and I'm pretty sure you can be a Buddhist atheist, f'ex, though it wouldn't be a very popular stance among most gnu atheists.* Cheesy 

*For myself, I'd just like it known that, of the big six, I don't really know anything about Victor Stenger, and Sam Harris is an idiot.  I'm willing to forgive Dawkins' Bright movement crap, though, on the premise that he's just a bit socially tone deaf and didn't mean to be a douche-ass; he gives off a slightly aspie kinda vibe, I think.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 19, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

I don't really see how Communism, which is an economic ideology, can be a religion.  I can easily see how it could be tied up with religion, but I don't see how it could stand as a full-blown religion in and of itself.

The person I am speaking of maintained that it was.  At the time I was not into religion, so I did not question it.

Atheism is not a religion, it is the absence of a belief in god(s), and usually implies, though does not strictly mean, an absence of general belief in the supernatural.  There are atheists who believe in astrology, and I'm pretty sure you can be a Buddhist atheist, f'ex, though it wouldn't be a very popular stance among most gnu atheists.* Cheesy 

Thank you.

Light your candle.

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 19, 2011, 01:21:00 am »

I suspect those who do so only have a vague notion what any of those things mean (other than "different!  bad!").

But of course; that shit is designed to completely bypass the frontal lobes. Roll Eyes

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)