The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 03:58:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 03:58:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong with U.S.?  (Read 17788 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 19, 2011, 01:29:53 am »

The person I am speaking of maintained that it was.  At the time I was not into religion, so I did not question it.

I don't question that he told you that; I just question whether he really understood what he was talking about. Smiley  I know there are followers of certain economic ideologies who treat it almost like a religion, such as the "Objectivists" and their unhealthy love for Ayn Rand (a group with a disconcerting amount of overlap with Heinlein fans, unfortunately), but it still isn't really a religion

When people start praying to little pictures of Karl Marx, and putting statuettes of Ayn Rand in hurricane jars on an altar in their living room, then I might have to change my mind.  That, and flee for the hills, since either of those things would surely be a sign of the end times. Tongue

Thank you.

You're welcome. Smiley

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 19, 2011, 01:43:39 am »

I don't question that he told you that; I just question whether he really understood what he was talking about. Smiley  I know there are followers of certain economic ideologies who treat it almost like a religion, such as the "Objectivists" and their unhealthy love for Ayn Rand (a group with a disconcerting amount of overlap with Heinlein fans, unfortunately), but it still isn't really a religion

When people start praying to little pictures of Karl Marx, and putting statuettes of Ayn Rand in hurricane jars on an altar in their living room, then I might have to change my mind.  That, and flee for the hills, since either of those things would surely be a sign of the end times. Tongue

You're welcome. Smiley

Stalin was his God.

Ayn Rand and Heinlein married? Glad we missed that.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 19, 2011, 04:05:27 am »

I don't question that he told you that; I just question whether he really understood what he was talking about. Smiley  I know there are followers of certain economic ideologies who treat it almost like a religion, such as the "Objectivists" and their unhealthy love for Ayn Rand (a group with a disconcerting amount of overlap with Heinlein fans, unfortunately), but it still isn't really a religion.
I find the term "parareligion" extremely useful for such things.  Not just dubious ones; pretty much any case of "not a religion, but filling a similar role for the practitioner".

It is my experience that the majority of Heinlein-extolling Randites are not nearly as acquainted with the Heinlein canon as they like to think, either through having only actually read a few of his books and assuming the rest are similar, or through having, um, highly selective comprehension skills.  Come to think of it, I've found this to be true for a significant number of Heinlein fans who aren't Randites.

I'm not confident that - or some close equivalent - has never happened.

(The Jukebox In My Mind is now experimenting with a mashup of REM's "It's the End of the World and We Know It" and the Beatles' "Revolution" Cheesy.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 19, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »

That, and flee for the hills, since either of those things would surely be a sign of the end times. Tongue

Using that statement to go WAY off topic...

A friend of mine here at the office has a friend who is the managing agent for several rental properties, in charge of collecting the rent from tenants on behalf of the landlords. She recently received a check from one tenant with only partial, pro-rated rent for the month of May, along with a xeroxed flyer about the Rapture/End Times on May 21.

Brilliant.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: May 19, 2011, 07:58:45 pm »

Using that statement to go WAY off topic...

A friend of mine here at the office has a friend who is the managing agent for several rental properties, in charge of collecting the rent from tenants on behalf of the landlords. She recently received a check from one tenant with only partial, pro-rated rent for the month of May, along with a xeroxed flyer about the Rapture/End Times on May 21.

Brilliant.

She should offer double or nothing - if he's still there on the 22nd, he has to pay double the amount.  Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 19, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

She should offer double or nothing - if he's still there on the 22nd, he has to pay double the amount.  Cheesy

To late probably to get it, but inform the tenant that the company is considering that to be notice of vacating on Saturday. Early break of lease fees apply, pay by Friday. If the tenant really believes, they'll write the check.
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 19, 2011, 10:52:16 pm »

Stalin was his God.

Creepy; did he really believe that Stalin had divine powers, or did he just have an unhealthy hero-worship kinda thing going on.

Ayn Rand and Heinlein married? Glad we missed that.

Heh, it surely might've had it's amusing moments... Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 19, 2011, 11:00:04 pm »

I find the term "parareligion" extremely useful for such things.  Not just dubious ones; pretty much any case of "not a religion, but filling a similar role for the practitioner".

Awesome!  I'd never heard that term before, and immediately find it eminently useful. Cool

It is my experience that the majority of Heinlein-extolling Randites are not nearly as acquainted with the Heinlein canon as they like to think, either through having only actually read a few of his books and assuming the rest are similar, or through having, um, highly selective comprehension skills.  Come to think of it, I've found this to be true for a significant number of Heinlein fans who aren't Randites.

I think a goodly number of Randites are just looking for an excuse to be as selfish as their hearts desire.

Perhaps I should have added "on a large scale."  I'm sure there's some weirdo somewhere who's done one or the other.

(The Jukebox In My Mind is now experimenting with a mashup of REM's "It's the End of the World and We Know It" and the Beatles' "Revolution" Cheesy.)

Ah, good times, dude, good times. Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 19, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »

Creepy; did he really believe that Stalin had divine powers, or did he just have an unhealthy hero-worship kinda thing going on.

I think he did believe Stalin was God.  Last time I spoke to him he was still ranting about the Communist Party failing their God.   

Light your candle.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 19, 2011, 11:28:55 pm »

Sunflower

I read every Heinlein book I could find, and only two of Ayn Rand's.  Then i came across the Neo-Tech Books (for want of a better word) http://www.neo-tech.com/index.php

http://attitudeadjustment.tripod.com/Books/Neo-Tech.htm
[Warning: Neo-Tech material is FUNDAMENTALLY, METAPHYSICALLY INCOMPATIBLE with Objectivism!  It stars with some Objectivist-like premises, then injects the following arbitrary metaphysical assertions into its discussions: (1) Civilization of the Universe, (2) Extraterrestrial Zons, (3) Thinkons, (4) Universal Computer.  Arbitrary assertions have NO PLACE in Objectivism!  The authors have expropriated Objectivism and twisted it into something metaphysically opposed to Objectivism.  Do yourself a favor and read some of Ayn Rand's books instead.]

Light your candle.

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 19, 2011, 11:36:11 pm »

I think he did believe Stalin was God.  Last time I spoke to him he was still ranting about the Communist Party failing their God.   

If one is going to worship someone over an economic ideology, for goodness' sake, at least pick someone who's not one of History's Greatest Assholes.

Shit, China Mieville seems cool, is kinda hot (in a slightly disconcerting way), and is a full-blown commie.  If someone is going to be a commie god, he surely seems a good candidate; think how heroic those statues of him could be made to look. Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: May 19, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »

If one is going to worship someone over an economic ideology, for goodness' sake, at least pick someone who's not one of History's Greatest Assholes.
If I cared to bother, I could construct one hell of a paratheological (I coined that one just now, but I doubt it'll be the last time I use it) argument that Stalinism, while a communist-descended/post-communist parareligion, is not a form of Communism.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: May 20, 2011, 12:19:08 am »

I read every Heinlein book I could find, and only two of Ayn Rand's.
Not sure what your point is here.  I haven't noticed you going all parareligiously Objectivist on us, so I don't think you're identifying yourself as one of the Heinlein-extolling Randites I referred to.  Nor are you one of the non-Randite Heinlein fans I mentioned, unless you think Heinlein laid out a single coherent socioeconopolitical philosophy in his books.

If you're just citing your knowledge of canon, you probably don't outdo me on Heinlein, but you're ahead of me on Rand; once I'd finished toiling my way through Atlas Shrugged, I'd had enough.

Then i came across the Neo-Tech Books (for want of a better word) http://www.neo-tech.com/index.php

http://attitudeadjustment.tripod.com/Books/Neo-Tech.htm
<blink> Well.  Useful to know that's out there, I guess.

Sunflower

mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 20, 2011, 12:28:49 am »

Not sure what your point is here.  I haven't noticed you going all parareligiously Objectivist on us, so I don't think you're identifying yourself as one of the Heinlein-extolling Randites I referred to.  Nor are you one of the non-Randite Heinlein fans I mentioned, unless you think Heinlein laid out a single coherent socioeconopolitical philosophy in his books.

I liked his writings, and he did publish a timeline for his universe.

Light your candle.

Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 20, 2011, 12:43:18 am »

If I cared to bother, I could construct one hell of a paratheological (I coined that one just now, but I doubt it'll be the last time I use it) argument that Stalinism, while a communist-descended/post-communist parareligion, is not a form of Communism.

My first thought would be that it's a form of Totalitarianism.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)