The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 03:46:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 03:46:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong with U.S.?  (Read 17785 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: June 05, 2011, 10:14:37 am »

Yeah, it's really a case of expecting better of him.  I mean, he was so ahead of the curve racially, it was disappointing to see him fail in other realms.
As Uday noted, he didn't always do well on race, either.  Granted, he had the inherently-racially-icky plot of Sixth Column (Uday got the title a bit wrong, but I knew what he meant), aka The Day After Tomorrow more or less forced on him, and there was only so much he could do to reduce the ickiness.  But Farnham's Freehold was... well, I'm pretty sure his intention was to illustrate the wrongness of racial hierarchy no matter what race has privilege, but it's much too easily read as "see how much nastier it'd be if Those People were in charge".  Intent is not magic - and the result is Ally Fail.

In other books, he does somewhat better, but tends to fall into the "post-racial" trap, and to write his characters of color as being largely uninfluenced by social constructs related to color and culture, or influenced to conform to kyriarchic norms.  Johnny Rico of Starship Troopers is, for the most part, much more a product of upper-class culture than he is of Filipino culture; Richard Ames/Colin Campbell of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls is only revealed as a PoC when he uses racist tropes against another black character, claiming that because he himself is black, it can't be racist.

Taking Heinlein's body of work as a whole, I'd say that he didn't have personal bigotry against either PoC or women - but he did, even (or perhaps especially, which is in a way worse) when trying not to, have unexamined assumptions that reflected culturally-endemic racism and sexism.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: June 05, 2011, 10:31:04 am »

Chauvinist and sexist.  That was in the early 80's, and I haven't fond one yet.
Really?  I'd have to say, then, that either you're carefully selecting your reading material to avoid sexist works, or that - as someone who doesn't directly experience sexism - you don't always recognize it when it appears.  We can start with any book in which there are few or no female characters (except where their absence makes sense in context - I don't expect to find women in WWI trenches), in which the female characters exist mainly or solely in context of their relationship to a male protagonist, especially when they're used primarily as vehicles for his character development, and/or any book that fails the Bechdel test.

It occurred to me after I'd posted yesterday that, just possibly, your feminist friend was upset because she didn't appreciate a man trying to educate her about what she should find offensive.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: June 05, 2011, 04:45:17 pm »

As Uday noted, he didn't always do well on race, either.  Granted, he had the inherently-racially-icky plot of Sixth Column (Uday got the title a bit wrong, but I knew what he meant), aka The Day After Tomorrow more or less forced on him, and there was only so much he could do to reduce the ickiness.  But Farnham's Freehold was... well, I'm pretty sure his intention was to illustrate the wrongness of racial hierarchy no matter what race has privilege, but it's much too easily read as "see how much nastier it'd be if Those People were in charge".  Intent is not magic - and the result is Ally Fail.

In other books, he does somewhat better, but tends to fall into the "post-racial" trap, and to write his characters of color as being largely uninfluenced by social constructs related to color and culture, or influenced to conform to kyriarchic norms.  Johnny Rico of Starship Troopers is, for the most part, much more a product of upper-class culture than he is of Filipino culture; Richard Ames/Colin Campbell of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls is only revealed as a PoC when he uses racist tropes against another black character, claiming that because he himself is black, it can't be racist.

Taking Heinlein's body of work as a whole, I'd say that he didn't have personal bigotry against either PoC or women - but he did, even (or perhaps especially, which is in a way worse) when trying not to, have unexamined assumptions that reflected culturally-endemic racism and sexism.

Well, I'm generally willing to take an author's era into account, and for a man of his era, he was pretty racially enlightened, I think.  I mean, look at Asimov's women; IIRC, they acted like men, and at the time, that was a compliment, to say that they even could.  For Heinlein to say that PoC could act like white people really was a liberal attitude at the time.

I don't think very many people back then really understood how intertwined race and class issues are.  They saw white working class as entirely different from non-white working class, inasmuch as they considered class issues at all.

It always seemed to me that Heinlein (and Asimov, for that matter) took the view that the things that were wrong with women and PoC were a direct result of our cultural expectations, rather than the result of constitutional deficiencies.  And while it's pretty messed up that Heinlein thought there was something wrong with women and non-whites, thinking it wasn't some unfixable built-in defect seems pretty open-minded to me, considering the surrounding culture.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #63: June 05, 2011, 08:14:59 pm »

Well, I'm generally willing to take an author's era into account, and for a man of his era, he was pretty racially enlightened, I think.  I mean, look at Asimov's women; IIRC, they acted like men, and at the time, that was a compliment, to say that they even could.  For Heinlein to say that PoC could act like white people really was a liberal attitude at the time.
That applies much more strongly to Starship Troopers ('59) than to The Cat Who Walks Through Walls ('85).  But, as I mentioned before, it caught up with him.

I could differ at length about Asimov's women, but that seems even further OT for a political discussion thread - short version, Susan Calvin fits your description fairly well, but I can't think of others that do, and I can think of several that really don't.

I don't think very many people back then really understood how intertwined race and class issues are.  They saw white working class as entirely different from non-white working class, inasmuch as they considered class issues at all.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Undecided.

Though, yeah, "not very many people" is a larger group, I'd say even expressed as a percentage, now, than half a century ago.

Sunflower

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: June 05, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »

Love it. Love that it comes from a comic even more.

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: June 06, 2011, 12:41:35 am »

Really?  I'd have to say, then, that either you're carefully selecting your reading material to avoid sexist works, or that - as someone who doesn't directly experience sexism - you don't always recognize it when it appears.  We can start with any book in which there are few or no female characters (except where their absence makes sense in context - I don't expect to find women in WWI trenches), in which the female characters exist mainly or solely in context of their relationship to a male protagonist, especially when they're used primarily as vehicles for his character development, and/or any book that fails the Bechdel test.

The story as I remember it (I last read it @ 25 years ago). Friday was portrayed as a very capable person.  
That was the cover story.  

In the book she loses her male protector (her father), with his lost, she did not inherit, loses her livelihood.

Gets thrown out of the group she was paying to accept her (have no male protector) and find out she is considered a second class citizen.  

Finds a woman to help her fix the lottery, so she can win.  When she does get a job, is kidnapped, toured, and mutilated (latter falls in love and marries the man that mutilated her).  

Gets a job that requires her to be pregnant, while pregnant jumps ship, and ends up in the kitchen (pregnant) happily writing her memoirs.  

Moral of the story intend for young males to understand.  Women need a male proctor, they are second class citizens, they will get together and cheat.  

Hit her over the head, brutalize, and mutilate her, she will fall in love with you. Get her pregnant, she will give up her career, and be happy in the kitchen.  I think that includes barefoot.

I have not found, nor have I been looking for another book that sneaks, the real story under the radar like Friday did.
It is more than sexist.

It occurred to me after I'd posted yesterday that, just possibly, your feminist friend was upset because she didn't appreciate a man trying to educate her about what she should find offensive.

Sunflower

Possible
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:43:46 am by mlr52, Reason: added it is more than sexist. » Logged

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: June 06, 2011, 06:48:45 am »

The story as I remember it (I last read it @ 25 years ago). Friday was portrayed as a very capable person.  
That was the cover story.  

In the book she loses her male protector (her father), with his lost, she did not inherit, loses her livelihood.

It's been about that long for me also. I'd parse that as losing her entire community, not just her father figure; and of course her livelihood. She was part of a secret agency and had no other real community other than the group family in New Zealand (?). 

Gets thrown out of the group she was paying to accept her (have no male protector) and find out she is considered a second class citizen.  

Again cut off from extended family / community resources, and I think limited legal options once she's known as a test tube (?) person.

Finds a woman to help her fix the lottery, so she can win.  When she does get a job, is kidnapped, toured, and mutilated (latter falls in love and marries the man that mutilated her).  

Gets a job that requires her to be pregnant, while pregnant jumps ship, and ends up in the kitchen (pregnant) happily writing her memoirs.  

She is impregnated against her will, and she is not aware of it until later.  I don't recall the lottery part. I do remember her, and her co-workers were being attacked, along with lots of other people.

Moral of the story intend for young males to understand.  Women need a male proctor, they are second class citizens, they will get together and cheat.  

Hit her over the head, brutalize, and mutilate her, she will fall in love with you. Get her pregnant, she will give up her career, and be happy in the kitchen.  I think that includes barefoot.

I have not found, nor have I been looking for another book that sneaks, the real story under the radar like Friday did.
It is more than sexist.

Possible

The happy raising a family part, yeah that could be seen as sexist. Although I guess a man settling down to a family and steady safe job after a war would be about the same.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #67: June 06, 2011, 04:51:32 pm »

It is more than sexist.
I'm not going to take that point-by-point.  Suffice it to say that many of your inaccuracies of detail are readily explained by how long it has been since you read it, but there are nevertheless many inaccuracies.

What's more relevant is that you don't even come close to recounting the storyline - you've handpicked a few plot points, while omitting a very large number of other plot points of equal or greater importance.  Peter noted one of the most major omissions:  that Friday's second-class status in her society (which she was well aware of all along, because it's a status under the law) is not because she is a woman, but because she is an Artificial Person.

That's a bit beside the point, though, since I'm not in any way disageeing that the book is sexist; what I took issue with was your original statement that your feminist friend "would be very hard pressed to find a more chauvinistic, sexist book."  I maintain that, no, there are a great many books that are even more sexist, and it's not at all difficult to find them.

As to your claim that the real story sneaks under the radar, the "real story" as you recount it is heavily dependent on your inaccuracies.  Is there an underlying - and sexist - narrative going on?  Yes, but it's not the one you describe (you mention only two things - her falling in love with one of her rapists [but not the one who mutilated her], and her happy domesticity at the end [which in context is not as simple a contributor as you describe] - that relate to the underlying sexist narrative I see), nor is it any more subtle, nor any more sexist, than can be found in hundreds of thousands of other books.

While I've read it far more recently than either you or Peter, it's still been many years as my copy went missing; I'm disinclined to attempt an explication of the narrative I see without refreshing my memory.

Sunflower

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: June 06, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

That woman is amazing! Sorry, I just got to see her live a few months ago and she's really awesome. She's also an alum of my college which is kinda cool.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: June 06, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »

While I've read it far more recently than either you or Peter, it's still been many years as my copy went missing; I'm disinclined to attempt an explication of the narrative I see without refreshing my memory.

Sunflower

Oh well, I looked and I can't buy an electronic copy and send you a free one. They don't offer Friday yet.
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: June 06, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

I'm not going to take that point-by-point.  Suffice it to say that many of your inaccuracies of detail are readily explained by how long it has been since you read it, but there are nevertheless many inaccuracies.

What's more relevant is that you don't even come close to recounting the storyline - you've handpicked a few plot points, while omitting a very large number of other plot points of equal or greater importance.  Peter noted one of the most major omissions:  that Friday's second-class status in her society (which she was well aware of all along, because it's a status under the law) is not because she is a woman, but because she is an Artificial Person.

That's a bit beside the point, though, since I'm not in any way disageeing that the book is sexist; what I took issue with was your original statement that your feminist friend "would be very hard pressed to find a more chauvinistic, sexist book."  I maintain that, no, there are a great many books that are even more sexist, and it's not at all difficult to find them.

As to your claim that the real story sneaks under the radar, the "real story" as you recount it is heavily dependent on your inaccuracies.  Is there an underlying - and sexist - narrative going on?  Yes, but it's not the one you describe (you mention only two things - her falling in love with one of her rapists [but not the one who mutilated her], and her happy domesticity at the end [which in context is not as simple a contributor as you describe] - that relate to the underlying sexist narrative I see), nor is it any more subtle, nor any more sexist, than can be found in hundreds of thousands of other books.

Sunflower

Since the 1980's I have not come across one, (I have not looked either), so I maintain my statement.   As for the so called inaccuracies, it is what I recall about the book.  I have no plans of rereading it at this time, if need be I will.

Light your candle.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #71: June 06, 2011, 11:54:58 pm »

Since the 1980's I have not come across one, (I have not looked either), so I maintain my statement.
OFFS.  You're perfectly free to state that it's the most sexist book you've ever read.  But you cannot say that someone else would be "hard pressed" to find one more sexist - that's just universalizing your own experience.

Sunflower

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: June 07, 2011, 06:49:46 am »

OFFS.  You're perfectly free to state that it's the most sexist book you've ever read.  But you cannot say that someone else would be "hard pressed" to find one more sexist - that's just universalizing your own experience.

Sunflower

I'd think that John Norman's Gor series, also written in the 1980s onward is more sexist. Of course I maybe missing part of the discussion as to what books qualify.
mlr52
Master Member

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: June 07, 2011, 07:18:50 am »

Sunflower

My statement was made in the 1980's.   

Light your candle.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #74: June 07, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »

I'd think that John Norman's Gor series, also written in the 1980s onward is more sexist. Of course I maybe missing part of the discussion as to what books qualify.
There's been no discussion about restricting it, though speculative fiction would be more directly pertinent - since setting a quality bar would work at cross-purposes, Gor certainly qualifies.  And I sure as heck would feel no inclination to argue anyone who wanted to say, "hard-pressed to find anything more sexist" than Gor.

Possibly the sexism isn't sufficiently buried in the subtext in them, though.

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)