The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:37:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:37:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of joining  (Read 5386 times)
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 17, 2011, 09:26:38 am »

Hi all,

I've been working with Brighid for the last few months (and lurking here learning stuff) and I would like to join the Cill but I'm not sure if it might be too soon. Most of you guys seem to have been working with her for a long time. Do you think there's a certain amount of time you should spend studying before joining a Cill?

I think keeping flame would be a great way to honour Brighid and deepen my relationship with Her as well as giving me an easy way to schedule time that is specifically devoted to Her. I guess I just don't want to jump in too early. But I also feel like it's the right step to take.

Do any of you have advice / opinions / comments?

Thanks in advance
Rocquelaire

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 17, 2011, 09:38:08 am »

/camps out in this thread

I'm also interested in joining the Cill as I've been praying to and honoring Brigid these past few months and it seems like a great way to help deepen my relationship with Her, but I'm not sure if there's any limit on who can join and if you need to not be such a newbie. Smiley

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 17, 2011, 12:49:56 pm »

I've been working with Brighid for the last few months (and lurking here learning stuff) and I would like to join the Cill but I'm not sure if it might be too soon. Most of you guys seem to have been working with her for a long time. Do you think there's a certain amount of time you should spend studying before joining a Cill?

Nope! In fact, taking Cill shifts is a fantastic way to get to know Brighid better. Smiley I joined a few months ago and I'm absolutely glad I did. You have a great community to bounce ideas off and every twenty days you have a structured time for devotion and flamekeeping.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 17, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »

I can't speak for the Cill, of course, but I can say that there has been nothing but warm welcome for me even though I've come to accept the fact that I do not have a personal relationship of any kind with Brighid, which has caused me in the past to doubt my "right" to be involved with the Cill.

I think joining as someone who is still feeling out a relationship with Brighid is appropriate, and there is no litmus test for who is worthy enough, knowledgeable enough, experienced enough, loved-by-Brighid enough, to join.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 17, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »

I think joining as someone who is still feeling out a relationship with Brighid is appropriate, and there is no litmus test for who is worthy enough, knowledgeable enough, experienced enough, loved-by-Brighid enough, to join.

Thank you, you've just articulated all of the things that are holding me back from joining. Am I worthy enough? Do I know enough? Etc etc. I suspect that I could still be asking myself those questions in ten years so maybe I should just take the plunge.   
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 17, 2011, 04:12:03 pm »

Thank you, you've just articulated all of the things that are holding me back from joining. Am I worthy enough? Do I know enough? Etc etc. I suspect that I could still be asking myself those questions in ten years so maybe I should just take the plunge.   

If you wait until you feel you're "ready," you'll never be ready for anything! Cheesy It's a small commitment, so it's not like you're swearing to be her priest/ess or anything. Just one day out of every twenty, keeping her flame.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 17, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »

If you wait until you feel you're "ready," you'll never be ready for anything!

This reminds me of a time when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was doubting if I was ready and capable of being a good mother. My friend told me that if everyone waited till they were absolutely ready to have a child then the human race would die out very quickly! Well five years on I have a beautiful, healthy, happy daughter so I guess I'm doing ok - whether I was ready or not lol
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 17, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »

Ellen and Colleen have covered it pretty well.

Speaking from the POV of a SIG Leader, and as "keeper of the roster" - every year we have a member check-in, and follow it up by PMing those who haven't checked in, because there are always a few people who have dropped out without letting us know (sometimes they respond to the PMs and tell us so, sometimes they don't respond at all).  We - the SIG Leaders, plus Aster who was a Cill SIG Leader before she was TC's SIG Coordinator for all the SIGs - have talked quite a bit about ways to screen for this, but haven't come up with much - we don't feel qualified to pass judgement on who has "really" been called by Brigid to serve her in this way, and who hasn't.  Even requiring that someone be active around TC for a certain amount of time isn't a good measure; some of our solidest Cill members, one of the first things they did when they signed up for TC is to join the Cill (Hi, Ali!), and we've had people who'd been active Cauldronites for years before they joined fail to let us know they were leaving.

It's a pity the ability to access the archives broke with the server upgrade last month, or I'd point you and Otter to the thread on the old Beehive board in which the idea of TC having a Cill was first presented, and in which we figured out what we wanted our Cill to be like.  One of the things that was very clear is that no one wanted litmus tests or arbitrary restrictions on Cill service - those who honored Brigid the Saint were/are as welcome as those who honored Brigid the Goddess; those for whom Brigid was one of several deities they honored were/are as welcome as those solely devoted to her; and Cill membership is open to all genders (just to note a few points that came up for discussion).

If I were to place any sort of milestone on when someone should join, it wouldn't be when they feel completely ready/worthy (to bounce off what Ellen said, if we'd all waited for that, we probably still wouldn't have enough people to set up a roster!), it would be when they felt the time was right even if they didn't feel ready/worthy.  I fancy, though, that while many of us get that moment of knowing it's time, not all do, so I mention it only as a guideline someone could consider, not as firm advice.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 18, 2011, 02:31:02 am »

Ditto.  Ditto.  Ditto.

If you feel joining the Cill is the right thing for you to do, you will get no arguments from any of us.  We ALL struggle/d with those questions of worthiness, experience, etc.  I'd be willing to bet that we all STILL struggle with those questions.   I know I do.

I have two cautions:

First, remember that you are taking on a serious responsibility to both Brighid and to your Cill-mates.  But if you try it, and learn that it's really not for you, it's OK to pull out.  We will all (Brighid included) feel you have fulfilled your responsibility to us if you do so.

Second, don't be disappointed or discouraged if your first shift isn't miraculous, or anything like that.   Cheesy  Sometimes, I'll have a shift in which I just feel so connected to Brighid -- it's a truly wonderful experience.  Other times, my shift will be full of rewarding, Brighid-related work, and that feels wonderful too.  But sometimes, I don't really feel anything special...  That's not wonderful, but it is OK.  Keep with it for a while, and I can almost promise something very beautiful will eventually click for you.

I guess all of this is just by way of saying "Welcome!"   Cheesy

~ Aster, who is VERY tired

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 18, 2011, 06:07:55 am »

Thank you to all of you for your comments and support. I'm going to go post in the "requests to join" thread Cheesy.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 19, 2011, 12:44:18 am »

First, remember that you are taking on a serious responsibility to both Brighid and to your Cill-mates.  But if you try it, and learn that it's really not for you, it's OK to pull out.  We will all (Brighid included) feel you have fulfilled your responsibility to us if you do so.

This post is more for me than for anyone else.  I just re-read my last post in this thread, and found something I completely didn't intend.  I was exhausted from a 5-hour technical rehearsal last night, for a dance show this Saturday, and I just didn't write or proofread carefully enough.   Embarrassed

I didn't mean to speak for Brighid, as most of you probably figured out.  I meant to say something more along the lines of "We will all feel you have fulfilled your responsibility to the Cill if you do so, and I believe Brighid would agree," or something like that. 

I have now learned my lesson about posting while half asleep.   Wink

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 19, 2011, 03:40:25 am »

I didn't mean to speak for Brighid, as most of you probably figured out.  I meant to say something more along the lines of "We will all feel you have fulfilled your responsibility to the Cill if you do so, and I believe Brighid would agree," or something like that. 
Heh... I saw that, raised an eyebrow (mentally - I can't get my physical eyebrows to move independently of each other, alas), considered the source, and parsed it as shorthand for, "Multiple experiential UPGs over an extended period of time, supported by convos with others that put them into SPG territory, give strong indications that Brigid is on the same page we are about that."  Easy to make non-optimal word choices for shorthand when tired!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 19, 2011, 03:58:14 am »

I figured you meant something like that. I do get the impression from Brighid that if being part of the Cill didn't work put for me then it would be ok to leave as long as I did it properly.

I'll just add this in here instead of starting a new thread. I already feel a bit different. It's not big fireworks or anything, just a subtle difference but I do feel somewhat as if I've found my way. I don't know if that makes any sense cos I'm having trouble articulating it.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 19, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Heh... I saw that, raised an eyebrow (mentally - I can't get my physical eyebrows to move independently of each other, alas), considered the source, and parsed it as shorthand for, "Multiple experiential UPGs over an extended period of time, supported by convos with others that put them into SPG territory, give strong indications that Brigid is on the same page we are about that."  Easy to make non-optimal word choices for shorthand when tired!

Sunflower

Yep, that.

After I posted my little correction last night, I went to bed and almost immediately had a dream in which Brighid was laughing at me -- more at the fact that I felt compelled to post a correction than anything.   Cheesy 

At least She wasn't mad at me.   Wink

~ Aster

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 19, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »

I'll just add this in here instead of starting a new thread. I already feel a bit different. It's not big fireworks or anything, just a subtle difference but I do feel somewhat as if I've found my way. I don't know if that makes any sense cos I'm having trouble articulating it.

I know what you mean.  As you learn more about Brighid and incorporate Her more into your life (assuming that's the right thing for you to do), that feeling will get stronger.  For me, it's about finally feeling like I belong.

~ Aster

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)