The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 01:58:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:58:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hellenic Apocalypse??  (Read 1696 times)
Queen Starstruck
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 05:07:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Greek Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 17, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »

I'm doing a research paper, and my mother and I were discussing the end of days in different religions. She asked me what the Greeks had as their "end of days" or end of the world mythology. To my knowledge there isn't one. I've been reading Greek mythology for years, and I've never heard of a myth of the end of the world, Greek Gods style.  Wink Anyone else heard of such? Huh

Perseverence--The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Wishes--When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wished for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Whining--If you expect to score points by whining, join a European soccer team.
----Demotivation posters.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 17, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »

I'm doing a research paper, and my mother and I were discussing the end of days in different religions. She asked me what the Greeks had as their "end of days" or end of the world mythology. To my knowledge there isn't one. I've been reading Greek mythology for years, and I've never heard of a myth of the end of the world, Greek Gods style.  Wink Anyone else heard of such? Huh

The only thing that I can think of remotely like that is that if Zeus's first wife has a son, that son can overthrow Zeus.  I think.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 17, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »

The only thing that I can think of remotely like that is that if Zeus's first wife has a son, that son can overthrow Zeus.  I think.

Gaia warned Zeus that his son by Metis would overthrow him, so he ate her and would give birth to to the god himself. Instead it was Athena, and she came out through his head. Cheesy (He seems to have a habit of giving birth... Cheesy)

However, it wasn't an end-of-the-world prophecy. It was a you're-going-to-get-the-"hey dad, c'mere!"-treatment-from-your-son. Cheesy I don't believe there is any sort of apocalypse prophecy for the Greeks. Battles like Ragnarok for the Greeks already occurred between the Olympians and the Titans (and then later the Giants) in the Titanomachy and the Gigantomachy. But once again, those were more for the right to rule the world, rather than destroying it entirely.

But.. I don't think there is a Greek equivalent at all. :S

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Queen Starstruck
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 05:07:37 pm

Religion: Greek Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 17, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »

Gaia warned Zeus that his son by Metis would overthrow him, so he ate her and would give birth to to the god himself. Instead it was Athena, and she came out through his head. Cheesy (He seems to have a habit of giving birth... Cheesy)

However, it wasn't an end-of-the-world prophecy. It was a you're-going-to-get-the-"hey dad, c'mere!"-treatment-from-your-son. Cheesy I don't believe there is any sort of apocalypse prophecy for the Greeks. Battles like Ragnarok for the Greeks already occurred between the Olympians and the Titans (and then later the Giants) in the Titanomachy and the Gigantomachy. But once again, those were more for the right to rule the world, rather than destroying it entirely.

But.. I don't think there is a Greek equivalent at all. :S
\

Thanks! I didn't think there was one...there is some mention of when Humans will be destroyed, or at the least forsaken by the Gods and Goddesses, in what I think is Hesiod's Works and Days. I don't have a problem with no end of the world!  Grin

Perseverence--The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Wishes--When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wished for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Whining--If you expect to score points by whining, join a European soccer team.
----Demotivation posters.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2017, 08:40:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 17, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

I've been reading Greek mythology for years, and I've never heard of a myth of the end of the world, Greek Gods style.  Wink Anyone else heard of such? Huh

As far as I know the ancient Greeks had no end of the world myth.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 18, 2011, 08:00:14 pm »

Not the same type of myth as I think you are referring to, but the Stoics generally believed that the world (actually the whole universe) would end in a great conflagration, but would be immediately followed by another iteration of the universe that would follow an identical course of history.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)