The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 09:11:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 09:11:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Taking responsibility  (Read 6081 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: May 21, 2011, 06:08:16 am »

When I said the rede (or bits of it) seems to me to be a moral code, all I really meant was that there were certain statements that seemed to be moral or to contain ‘moral language’ and which could be fitted together.  Whether the rede was actually meant to be literal or poetic or advice etc, or what Wiccans do with it, or even what Wicca is, are all separate issues, for me, to this: it was just an example to try and understand what it means to take responsibility.
That sounds like you didn't mean the eight-word ethical statement, but were referring to the poem?

IMO, the misrepresentation of Wicca it contained made your example a poor one.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Flint
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 21, 2011, 09:46:32 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 21, 2011, 09:46:32 am »

That sounds like you didn't mean the eight-word ethical statement, but were referring to the poem?

IMO, the misrepresentation of Wicca it contained made your example a poor one.

I was referring to that statement initially but wanted to acknowledge that there is more of a big poem attached to it to avoid any further confusion.

That's fine, we can agree to disagree then.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 22, 2011, 05:28:27 am »

I was referring to that statement initially but wanted to acknowledge that there is more of a big poem attached to it to avoid any further confusion.
If you're trying to avoid confusion, why conflate the eight-word Rede (predominantly BTW in its origins) with the Rede-poem (which originates with NECTW, a non-Wiccan tradition of initiatory witchcraft)?  IME, much more confusion is created by treating them as if they are part of the same parcel of traditional practice.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 22, 2011, 07:04:23 am »

So, for those: what does it mean, to you, to "take responsibility?" What is your responsibility?

My responsibility before acting is to think twice before doing or saying something which could hurt someone else, and to think about whether I want to be 'the kind of person who does X.'

My responsibility after acting is to acknowledge my choice and its consequences (including all foreseeable and some unforeseeable ones) and to think about whether they create any other moral obligations.

I get quite antsy about blaming other people to the extent of denying your own responsibility entirely. Not just because it mightn't be fair to those people, but mostly because it isn't fair to yourself. Taking responsibility is, IMO, important because it's the only way to develop your personhood. If you made a bad choice but acknowledge it, at least you can say 'I was like this once, but I've grown into a better person.' Whereas if you disown all responsibility, there's no 'you' to speak of, let alone grow.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 24, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »

If you're trying to avoid confusion, why conflate the eight-word Rede (predominantly BTW in its origins) with the Rede-poem (which originates with NECTW, a non-Wiccan tradition of initiatory witchcraft)?  IME, much more confusion is created by treating them as if they are part of the same parcel of traditional practice.

Sunflower

I am not well-versed in Wicca, and I conflated the Rede and the poem as well. I thought the Rede was a line from the poem, not that the poem included an already existent phrase. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: May 25, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

I am not well-versed in Wicca, and I conflated the Rede and the poem as well. I thought the Rede was a line from the poem, not that the poem included an already existent phrase. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
More info, if you want to pursue it further, in this thread (and a bit of additional stuff in the thread it was spun off of) - confusion on this subject is common.

Sunflower

Ama
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 01:49:50 am

Religion: spiritually in tune, not religiously loyal.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 18, 2011, 03:12:23 am »

I agree with a lot of what was said here, and it answers a lot for me automatically.

I believe that when taking up any form of witchcraft, one is introducing themselves to a lot of knowledge and power, and that with both of those, come responsibility. I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that when practicers do not take responsibilty, or do not practice responsibly, to put it lightly, things to awry.

I think it's really important to think very hard and really dig deep when considering doing a spell of any kind. Weigh out the possible circumstances -- hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Acting on pure impulse and emotion is very risky, whether you practice or not.

Some have a style that they work hard to refine,
and so they walk a crooked line.
But she can't understand why anyone would try
to walk a line when they could fly.
annieroonie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 11:36:10 pm

Religion: Thinking on it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 22, 2011, 03:37:33 am »

So, for those: what does it mean, to you, to "take responsibility?" What is your responsibility? When you practice magic, what consequences do you weigh?

At my job I have to make rapid fire decisions and speak quickly to different people about different issues. The people are kids and if I make a mistake and say the wrong thing or even just say it wrong, it could have a terrible effect. People always remember the insensitive things they're told about themselves even if only by tone of voice.  It feels like I make 100 mistakes a day sometimes. And while it is unlikely the number is that high, it is likely that I make at least a few every day. If brought to my attention by others or by my own misgivings, I take responsibility by openly addressing my concerns with the person involved.

The understanding that I will never know of all the mistakes I've made and won't have a chance to address them bothers me very much. And that is where magical responsibility meshes with the mundane for me. I may never know of a consequence other than my own experience. I may never have the chance to aright things, to take responsibility. Just as a mundane conversation I flubbed keeps me awake at night sometimes, all the ghosts of mistakes I will never know likewise haunt me. And with magic, there's far more chance that I will not know all of the consequences. And more that I will not be able to address them in the mainstream. I try to go slow, be precise and clear about intent, research, think of all the possible consequences I can before doing anything consciously.

But then there is that other kind of responsibility. The duty kind. If learning is to happen, if mastery of anything be attained, mistakes have to be made. Eggs must be broken. Knees scratched. Tears shed. And horse remounted. (Mixing metaphors like highballs over here apparently. Sorry.) Anyway, at some point I have to take responsibility by forgiving myself so I can continue to learn, grow.  Self forgiveness must be accompanied by learning IMO. That's my personal responsibility.

I am learning. I'm slow. Been watching nature. I found a plant that has no business being on this continent. I researched it and came across several pages where people had been looking to cultivate the plant at home for its fruits. The plant I found was growing wild. With all its devotees growing it in backyards, it became easy to understand how it had traveled around the world to be sullen at my feet. All it wanted was to grow, but here the native bugs found it too delicious. I don't think it will last to maturity. A consequence few will ever know, I was able to see clearly. Sadly. It will not bear fruit except perhaps in me. Bittersweet it is, but not the plant. The plant was a species of Gooseberry. Cheesy

What about the B side of blame? Credit. If so much attention is carefully given to responsibility, is there any likewise attention given to taking credit or even tossing laurels? That idea feels uncomfortable to me, but it must have its place, no?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:41:49 am by annieroonie, Reason: forgot a word » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)