The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:45:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:45:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Not allowed?  (Read 7556 times)
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 20, 2011, 06:07:17 am »

I've been working my way through all of the Cill threads. I haven't read them all yet but I'm getting there lol. Anyway I've noticed lots of discussion about work that people feel Brighid has asked them to do / wants them to do. I just wondered if there was anything that people feel that Brighid has asked them not to do? Or something people just feel that She does not / would not approve of? I don't have anything particular in mind, I just thought it might make for an interesting discussion Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 20, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »

I just wondered if there was anything that people feel that Brighid has asked them not to do? Or something people just feel that She does not / would not approve of? I don't have anything particular in mind, I just thought it might make for an interesting discussion Smiley

Yes.  I've written about this before, so you'll probably get to it eventually.   Wink

Brighid has made it clear to me that She doesn't want me to do magic or to reach out to any other deity.  She hasn't told me why, but I think it has something to do with my physical problems with energy.

It's not about Her not approving of something.  It's specific to me.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 21, 2011, 06:39:17 am »

I've been working my way through all of the Cill threads. I haven't read them all yet but I'm getting there lol. Anyway I've noticed lots of discussion about work that people feel Brighid has asked them to do / wants them to do. I just wondered if there was anything that people feel that Brighid has asked them not to do? Or something people just feel that She does not / would not approve of? I don't have anything particular in mind, I just thought it might make for an interesting discussion Smiley
Cheesy Yeah - watch TV on my Cill shift.

To expand:  back when I first started with the Cill, Brigid made it clear that very nearly anything could qualify as creative/healing/etc work for the shift, if done with awareness of how it was that sort of work - but that the watching of television simply didn't have enough of a creative component to qualify.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 21, 2011, 01:18:40 pm »

Yes.  I've written about this before, so you'll probably get to it eventually.   Wink

Brighid has made it clear to me that She doesn't want me to do magic or to reach out to any other deity.  She hasn't told me why, but I think it has something to do with my physical problems with energy.

Now that you mention it I have read somewhere about her not wanting you to do magic. Was this something that you did before you were dedicated to Brighid? Does it bother you at all? Do you think it's "for your own good" kind of thing?

So far, I haven't felt any desire to reach out to any other deities but maybe that will change in time. At the moment I feel like I've got my hands full with research about Brighid and getting to know Her lol. I have a wish list on Amazon of most of the books on the resource list and I'm trying to buy one a month. I can see it taking a while to get through them all so I can't imagine trying to do that for any other deities as well!
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 21, 2011, 01:24:51 pm »

Cheesy Yeah - watch TV on my Cill shift.

Lol I can understand that one. It's hard to stay mindful when you're vegging out in front of the TV. Do you think it would be allowed if you were watching a documentary about Her history? Or Celtic archaeology or art or something else that would be relevant to Her?
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 21, 2011, 01:51:38 pm »

Now that you mention it I have read somewhere about her not wanting you to do magic. Was this something that you did before you were dedicated to Brighid? Does it bother you at all? Do you think it's "for your own good" kind of thing?

So far, I haven't felt any desire to reach out to any other deities but maybe that will change in time. At the moment I feel like I've got my hands full with research about Brighid and getting to know Her lol. I have a wish list on Amazon of most of the books on the resource list and I'm trying to buy one a month. I can see it taking a while to get through them all so I can't imagine trying to do that for any other deities as well!

Yes, it's definitely a "for my own good" kind of thing.  And, for that reason, it doesn't bother me at all.  I used to dabble a bit with magic, but never did much, so it's not really a problem to not do any.  And, interestingly, She doesn't seem to count divination, energy work (like shielding), or the creation and use of amulets.  She has specifically approved all of those things, which I do fairly regularly.  Especially the amulets and shields.  I do divination when I feel a need for it, which really isn't all that often.  I do it most for other people, because I have a really hard time reading for myself.

The geis on befriending other deities was actually a bit more difficult for me to wrap my head around, although I'm not sure why.  I do have a "nodding acquaintance" sort of thing with Raven, who greeted me when I went to Seattle and again when I went to Alaska.  And I *think* Apollo said hi once, but that was pre-Brighid.

I decided a long time ago to trust Brighid.  She hasn't steered me wrong yet.   Cheesy

About the books:  I have most of them in my personal library, which I've collected over many, many years.  So if you have questions about any of them or want recommendations for prioritizing, let me know.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 21, 2011, 06:11:31 pm »

And, interestingly, She doesn't seem to count divination, energy work (like shielding), or the creation and use of amulets.  She has specifically approved all of those things, which I do fairly regularly.  Especially the amulets and shields.

Maybe that's because those things can help you with how you handle energy? They're protective and possibly healing for you? What kind of amulets do you make?

And I *think* Apollo said hi once, but that was pre-Brighid.

Well before I met Brighid I thought that I had met Cerridwen and Cernunos and that I could feel them both around but since Brighid has been with me they both seem to be gone. Of course, I can't be sure that they were ever there. I never felt either of them as strongly as I feel Brighid.

About the books:  I have most of them in my personal library, which I've collected over many, many years.  So if you have questions about any of them or want recommendations for prioritizing, let me know.

It would be great if you could give me advice about prioritising them - there are so many that I want to read lol. If you want I could send you a PM with what I've already read and you could suggest where I go from here? But only if you have time and it's not too much trouble.
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 22, 2011, 05:55:54 am »

Lol I can understand that one. It's hard to stay mindful when you're vegging out in front of the TV. Do you think it would be allowed if you were watching a documentary about Her history? Or Celtic archaeology or art or something else that would be relevant to Her?
I'd guess, but don't know, that some particular sorts of shows might not be under the ban - I suspect it wouldn't have to be anywhere near as specific as "about her" or "about Celtic culture".  I'm reasonably confident, f'ex, that, had my shift fallen on the date of the recent Canadian election, she wouldn't have had any probs with me following the results on TV if I'd chosen that as my results-source.

I did, on one occasion, ask for and receive a "special dispensation" - I don't recall what any more, but it was something that I really badly wanted to watch and for which "it's sure to get rerun at some point" didn't really work well.  So it's not about "thou thalt not veg out in front of the TV" so much as it's about "things that cannot be construed as creative work", a category in which I have only one example thus far but which could in theory include other things.

A moot point now; I dropped my TV habit a few years ago, not long after getting together with JFP, because writing long and frequent emails to him (which shortly thereafter became "having long and frequent phone convos with him" - bless VoIP which makes it economically feasible) was a higher priority in how I organized my time.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 25, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »

Half the time on my shifts I end up crashing out hard on the couch after dinner. I used to feel *really* bad about that. But now, I think it's Herself trying to get me to take a rest, since I tend to run myself raggedy. I often take time on my shifts to focus on catching up on my pagan reading. I don't do a lot of healing work, so it really seems like my shifts are more for relaxing and centering than anything else.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 11, 2011, 12:59:31 pm »

Brighid has been really proactive with me. I was drawn to her due to the creativity aspect, and she pretty much said that she'd make sure I wouldn't lack for inspiration if I were willing to make some time for her. She has delivered - in spades. The rush of ideas to put down is such that I can't get distracted.

On my last shift, I was kinda worn down with a summer cold and school work, so I decided to skip writing and get an early night with a book. I got through 150 pages in a couple of hours, which is perhaps twice my regular reading speed. Plus, the extra rest made sure I was well enough the next morning to catch up with everything. I have a distinct impression she had been waiting for me to figure this out.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 12, 2011, 06:57:32 am »

On my last shift, I was kinda worn down with a summer cold and school work, so I decided to skip writing and get an early night with a book. I got through 150 pages in a couple of hours, which is perhaps twice my regular reading speed. Plus, the extra rest made sure I was well enough the next morning to catch up with everything. I have a distinct impression she had been waiting for me to figure this out.
Brigid to me, and IIRC quite a few other Cill members (loosely translated from impressions to words): "Self-care is healing work!"

Sunflower

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 16, 2011, 12:07:20 am »

Brigid to me, and IIRC quite a few other Cill members (loosely translated from impressions to words): "Self-care is healing work!"

Sunflower

Because why are you not worth healing if you need it? Smiley

I think Brighid might've picked the wrong devotee (me) if She wanted one that didn't require quite a bit of self-care. But I think She already knew that. Smiley

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 16, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »

She didn't ever tell me NOT to do magic, but she made sure that she didn't need or want it to be a part of my work with her.  I am allowed to do it on my own time, but it's not her thing, so I don't do it for her, or in her name.  It is not a part of my devotional work for her.  I have never actually taken a Cill shift here, but it is something I have been considering for some time.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 16, 2011, 07:46:29 pm »

She didn't ever tell me NOT to do magic, but she made sure that she didn't need or want it to be a part of my work with her.  I am allowed to do it on my own time, but it's not her thing, so I don't do it for her, or in her name.  It is not a part of my devotional work for her. 

Just curious:  Do you get the sense from Brighid whether divination and shielding are included in Her definition of "magic"?

It would be really interesting to find out how other Brighid-people have also been steered away from magic.  I've always thought the no magic rule was just something She put into effect for me because of my particular health problem, but maybe She has a broader issue with magic.  Hmmmm, I wonder if it would be worth starting a thread on this question...?

I have never actually taken a Cill shift here, but it is something I have been considering for some time.

Is there something specific holding you back from joining the Cill?

~ Aster

Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 18, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »

Just curious:  Do you get the sense from Brighid whether divination and shielding are included in Her definition of "magic"?

It would be really interesting to find out how other Brighid-people have also been steered away from magic.  I've always thought the no magic rule was just something She put into effect for me because of my particular health problem, but maybe She has a broader issue with magic.  Hmmmm, I wonder if it would be worth starting a thread on this question...?

Is there something specific holding you back from joining the Cill?

~ Aster
Nothing in particular is preventing me, so I can't say I have a GOOD reason for not doing so.

I don't know about shielding.  I've gotten the feeling that fire scrying is okay, and I occasionally do so while burning a candle for her.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.