The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 10:23:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 10:23:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Rules/Guidelines/Etc Change Suggestions for New vBulletin Board  (Read 11949 times)
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 05, 2011, 05:18:25 am »

As most TC members know, we are planning on moving from this SMF board to a new vBulletin board this summer (hopefully by July 1st). This is a good time to look at forum rules and guidelines to see if any changes are needed. If you have a change suggestion you'd like to have considered, please post about it here.

You will need to suggest the change AND tell us why the change would make the board/website better for everyone.  (Note: "most boards I visit do it this way" is NOT a good reason for making change.)

The following two items are definitely "off the table" as they are unlikely to change:

1) The direction of the board (debate/discussion over fellowship, aimed first at experienced Pagans instead at newbies).

2) The quoting requirement (The Hosts would still rather shut the board down rather than do without quotes with backlinks to the message being replied to -- nothing anyone can say is likely to change this.)

Just about anything else will at least be considered.

The only thing I could think of would be to have tptb always 'put a mod hat on' via the red boxes whether issuing an actual warning or not (such as in a friendly reminder situation) so as to be very very clear on when the person is acting as staff and when the person is speaking in their own name. Simply signing a post as staff is easily overlooked and can be confusing when the post also touches on the discussion at hand.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: June 05, 2011, 06:47:34 am »

Because mods, like anyone else, can make mistakes.

They can also pursue personal vendettas where they don't like someone and moderate against them unfairly.

Again, I am not saying the mods here do that, as was mentioned I haven't been here long enough to know.  It happened all the time at TCC where I used to post (both mistakes and personal vendettas) so I know it is very possible.
Yep, it certainly is possible - while I don't go back as far as Randall, I got into dial-up BBSes way back in the early '90s, so I've seen lots and lots of poorly-run forums.

But, it's not sheer luck whether a forum has staff that does these things, or that doesn't.  It's a matter of having a host/sysop who is more interested in running the forum well than in how much power s/he has, and who chooses staff who are also more interested in the forum itself than in power.

I'd much rather be civil (as a Cauldron member) and just (as staff) to people I don't care for, than see TC go down in petty flamewars.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #17: June 05, 2011, 06:51:10 am »

I'd much rather be civil (as a Cauldron member) and just (as staff) to people I don't care for, than see TC go down in petty flamewars.

*nods*
Agreed, totally.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: June 05, 2011, 08:23:19 am »

Of course we can, but because mods here tend to be mature individuals, mistakes get noticed and corrected -- often before the member even has to try to appeal in a PM. There is also a hierarchy of staff so that action can be reviewed by others with the actual authority to do something about it.

They can also pursue personal vendettas where they don't like someone and moderate against them unfairly.

They can but that seldom happens and higher ranking staff members put a stop to it when it does. The Co-Hosts can do so and no one can stop us (but that's true of the Admins/Board owners on any board), but the staff do tend to let us know when they think we are losing it. And since we picked them because we thought they had good heads on their shoulders, we generally at least listen. As the Co-Hosts and many staff members are older and long outgrew the feeling of power than some get from the ability to ban people.

Again, I am not saying the mods here do that, as was mentioned I haven't been here long enough to know.  It happened all the time at TCC where I used to post (both mistakes and personal vendettas) so I know it is very possible.

This is some of your problem, I suspect. Forget about TCC. This board has nothing to do with TCC (or any other board on the Internet). Our rules are probably much different, our goals are different, our culture is different, our people (both staff and regulars are different). We don't do things the way TCC (or most other boards) do. (Hell, I don't even know what TCC stands for or where it is.) Most of the problems I've seen the folks who have come from TCC over the last few days have been caused by jumping in here feet first and incorrectly assuming that our rules and culture were pretty close to what they were used to on TCC -- only to discover they weren't.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 05, 2011, 09:53:09 am »

That doesn't happen here, actually. At least not what I think you're describing. I've seen that on other boards back when I used to get out more, but the vendetta thing really doesn't happen here. If you're here for a while, you'll see that.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 05, 2011, 10:03:16 am »

I'm new here so please understand that I am only inquiring, as I have no experience with this here... but if the same discussion comes up tens of times, might that not be an indication that it is an issue which is calling for scrutiny? Clarification, perhaps?

What Marilyn said. And also, the reason they come up multiple times is because new members who don't understand the board's purpose and culture bring them up. Were it established members who have been around long enough to actually judge whether or not a rule doesn't work, then I would say yes, scrutiny would be called for.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 05, 2011, 10:07:39 am »

What Marilyn said. And also, the reason they come up multiple times is because new members who don't understand the board's purpose and culture bring them up. Were it established members who have been around long enough to actually judge whether or not a rule doesn't work, then I would say yes, scrutiny would be called for.

Yeah. And Randall and I would have the staff talk about it, and then we'd probably come down into the public board and ask for ideas. That happens from time to time (like this thread, though this is more generalized) because we realize that more input makes for a better board. And sometimes we will change stuff. Some things, though, are here permanently because of the nature of the discussions. Also, we realize TC is very different from most pagan boards, so the rules are going to have to be different, too.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: June 05, 2011, 11:16:45 am »

Yeah. And Randall and I would have the staff talk about it, and then we'd probably come down into the public board and ask for ideas. That happens from time to time (like this thread, though this is more generalized) because we realize that more input makes for a better board. And sometimes we will change stuff. Some things, though, are here permanently because of the nature of the discussions. Also, we realize TC is very different from most pagan boards, so the rules are going to have to be different, too.

And some things have been navel-gazed to death, with the resulting answer being "yeah, we're not perfect, but we're doing the best we can for the community we have."

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 05, 2011, 11:26:43 am »

And some things have been navel-gazed to death, with the resulting answer being "yeah, we're not perfect, but we're doing the best we can for the community we have."

Yeah. And, ultimately, a lot of the rules are here BECAUSE of the kind of community TC is. That means there are some rules that simply will not change unless the forum does...and that's probably not going to happen.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #24: June 05, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Followed often by foot-stomping, arm-waving flounces.

And occasionally by juvenile and annoyingly half-assed attempts to hack the site.  Like the kiddies on  Facebook who will press the report button over and over until an account gets suspended.

Tiresome.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
NyteShaed
Journeyman
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 05, 2011, 03:05:46 pm »

Of course we can, but because mods here tend to be mature individuals, mistakes get noticed and corrected -- often before the member even has to try to appeal in a PM. There is also a hierarchy of staff so that action can be reviewed by others with the actual authority to do something about it.

They can but that seldom happens and higher ranking staff members put a stop to it when it does. The Co-Hosts can do so and no one can stop us (but that's true of the Admins/Board owners on any board), but the staff do tend to let us know when they think we are losing it. And since we picked them because we thought they had good heads on their shoulders, we generally at least listen. As the Co-Hosts and many staff members are older and long outgrew the feeling of power than some get from the ability to ban people.

This is some of your problem, I suspect. Forget about TCC. This board has nothing to do with TCC (or any other board on the Internet). Our rules are probably much different, our goals are different, our culture is different, our people (both staff and regulars are different). We don't do things the way TCC (or most other boards) do. (Hell, I don't even know what TCC stands for or where it is.) Most of the problems I've seen the folks who have come from TCC over the last few days have been caused by jumping in here feet first and incorrectly assuming that our rules and culture were pretty close to what they were used to on TCC -- only to discover they weren't.

The fact that criticism of moderation is forbidden, or at least tightly restricted is one thing that you DO have in common with TCC and it's something that caused a lot of problems there.

I can see that the culture is very different, many of the other rules may be as well, I haven't been here long enough to see how they are applied, but that particular rule is nearly exactly the same, and lack of accountability in the moderation team, to the members not just to each other, was what killed TCC.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: June 05, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »

I can see that the culture is very different, many of the other rules may be as well, I haven't been here long enough to see how they are applied, but that particular rule is nearly exactly the same, and lack of accountability in the moderation team, to the members not just to each other, was what killed TCC.

1) The Cauldron is not a democracy. The members do not run this board by majority rule, by who yells the loudest, or in any other way. Lyricfox and I run this board. We only answer to ourselves and to the fact that if we do not run the board well enough everyone will leave. It's worked well for 13+ years.

1a) We do listen to our members, of course. The longer they have been active here, the more weight we tend to give to their opinions. This may not seem fair to newcomers, but then newcomers generally do not understand the board's culture and have little experience with the way we do things.

1b) Some of our staff have been around for years and know Lyric and Randall well enough to tell them when they are going off the deep end no matter how annoyed Randall and/or Lyric are.

2) The staff is not accountable to the membership of this board, they are accountable to Lyric and myself. It's worked well for 13+ years.

3) This board is not TCC. I'm sorry you had a bad experience there, but we aren't responsible for that nor does the fact that some of our rules are like their rules mean much.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 05, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

Yeah. And, ultimately, a lot of the rules are here BECAUSE of the kind of community TC is. That means there are some rules that simply will not change unless the forum does...and that's probably not going to happen.

Or report the site as an attack site on Firefox so that the browser's security ad-ons block the site and people freak out because they think TC was hacked?
Not that anything like that happened recently, or anything.   Roll Eyes
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: June 05, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »

The fact that criticism of moderation is forbidden, or at least tightly restricted is one thing that you DO have in common with TCC and it's something that caused a lot of problems there.

What Randall said.

I have no idea what TCC is or was like or anything else. But like Randall said, this board is not TCC or any other board. This rule works for us and has worked since I first showed up on The Cauldron in 1999.

People can appeal a moderator ruling to the hosts, but that appeal MUST be off the board. That is never going to change.

(OMG....is TCC The Celtic Connection? Because if so, I knew of that board 10+ years ago and this forum is in NO way like it. Never was. Never will be.)

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #29: June 05, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

(OMG....is TCC The Celtic Connection? Because if so, I knew of that board 10+ years ago and this forum is in NO way like it. Never was. Never will be.)

I have vague memories of joining that board years ago before I discovered TC.  I didn't have much experience yet with message boards and can't remember what sent me searching further.  I don't remember making more than three or four posts, though.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)