The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 06:41:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:41:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Most Challenging Requirement in ADF DP  (Read 2887 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 22, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »

What requirement has been the most challenging in the DP for you?  Did you think that it was easy at first or does the thought of approaching it leave you in panic?

For me, those NNV essays seem to be the worst--that is until I get to the mental focus essay, which right now I am pretending like that doesn't exist--because the Virtues seem to be so fundamental and it is very difficult to translate into a writing medium.

The mental focus essay.....ugh, I am finding out each day how much I truly hate meditation.  It's like torture.  I'd rather be stapled to the chair (well, at least I would stay still for 15 minutes!).

How about you?  What's your most challenging requirement?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:31:13 pm by darashand, Reason: finished my thought. » Logged

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 22, 2011, 10:35:51 pm »

What requirement has been the most challenging in the DP for you?  Did you think that it was easy at first?

For me, those NNV essays seem to be the worst--that is until I get to the mental focus essay, which right now I am pretending like that doesn't exist--because the Virtues seem to be so fundamental and it is very difficult to translate into a writing medium.

I'm finding it difficult to say things in a short amount of space. There are all these horror stories of people sending in ten times the minimum word quota (so 1250 words per High Day, for example). I'm trying to limit myself, and it's really making me have to sit and focus on the important bits of what I've learned.

The mental focus essay.....ugh, I am finding out each day how much I truly hate meditation.  It's like torture.  I'd rather be stapled to the chair (well, at least I would stay still for 15 minutes!).

That's always been a stickler for me, too. I don't think you have to meditate, though - are you any good at visualization or energy work? Maybe doing a Two Powers working every day would suffice.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 22, 2011, 11:40:28 pm »

What requirement has been the most challenging in the DP for you?  Did you think that it was easy at first or does the thought of approaching it leave you in panic?
The ritual write ups were problematic for me because you have to do 8 in a single year and the way my life was at the time, it was inevitable that something was going to be missed.  Especially the ones that didn't have a lot of personal meaning to me.  ("You mean the Equinox was last week?  Well, poo.  Guess I'm starting over again...")

Also the getting outdoors, communing with nature sections.  Normally, this would be my favorite part - but when it's 110F outside for months on end... not so much.  If I decide to try the DP again, I'll start it in the winter - get some momentum going before we hit triple digits.

I expected the meditation section would be trouble for me - it's always been a weak spot in the past - but the triple powers meditation worked surprisingly well for me and acted as a springboard for some really interesting work.
Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 23, 2011, 05:43:34 am »

The ritual liturgy, specifically having to ring a bell like I was leading a mass in the back garden. I was living in the town that has both a papal college and is the headquarters for the catholic church in Ireland. Seeming black masses require akward explanations.

At one stage before I got a house with a garden I was living in a convent that had been turned into apartments and old nuns would wander around the place reminising. FFS. That bell was hard to explain. People thought I was a fruitcake when they didnt think I was summoning satan.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 23, 2011, 09:40:26 am »

The ritual liturgy, specifically having to ring a bell like I was leading a mass in the back garden. I was living in the town that has both a papal college and is the headquarters for the catholic church in Ireland. Seeming black masses require akward explanations.

I'm a little confused - where is it required in the liturgy to ring a bell?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 23, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »

The mental focus essay.....ugh, I am finding out each day how much I truly hate meditation.  It's like torture.  I'd rather be stapled to the chair (well, at least I would stay still for 15 minutes!).

How about you?  What's your most challenging requirement?

I'm guessing NNV = Nine Virtues? I've actually enjoyed the preliminary work of the essays. What's killing me are the High Day observances and the meditation >< I am *awful* at meditation - though learning. And I have the hardest danged time with the High Days. I keep missing them lol. I'm predicting at this rate it'll be 12-24 months before I actually 'hit' all of them Tongue

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 24, 2011, 12:14:46 am »

I'm guessing NNV = Nine Virtues? I've actually enjoyed the preliminary work of the essays. What's killing me are the High Day observances and the meditation >< I am *awful* at meditation - though learning. And I have the hardest danged time with the High Days. I keep missing them lol. I'm predicting at this rate it'll be 12-24 months before I actually 'hit' all of them Tongue

Yes sorry, I'm so used to calling them the Nine Noble Virtues...the Nine Virtues. 

The Holy Days aren't really fixed...per se.  I mean, you could go by specific seasonal signs, lunar dates, astrological dates, etc, rather than just calendar days.

I'm finding it difficult to say things in a short amount of space. There are all these horror stories of people sending in ten times the minimum word quota (so 1250 words per High Day, for example). I'm trying to limit myself, and it's really making me have to sit and focus on the important bits of what I've learned.

Yeah, those word reqs are frustratingly short.  I just get started and it's time to quit!  You cannot do justice to most of the subjects on 125-325 words. 

What happens to those who go over the limit?  The fire pokers come out?  Ye gods, am I in trouble! Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 24, 2011, 12:26:45 am »

Yeah, those word reqs are frustratingly short.  I just get started and it's time to quit!  You cannot do justice to most of the subjects on 125-325 words. 

What happens to those who go over the limit?  The fire pokers come out?  Ye gods, am I in trouble! Smiley

Heh. Yeah I'm still working the HDs into my thinking and such anyway.

See, I don't mind having a lot of material to work through re: word counts. It's usually easier for me to widdle down a lot of info down to a potent section rather than adding filler. Right now I'm focusing on writing say a page per virtue and I plan to combine and condense until it's more like a paragraph or so per virtue, tops. Which is WAY harder than it sounds esp regarding some of the harder to define virtues like Wisdom.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 24, 2011, 12:36:55 am »

Heh. Yeah I'm still working the HDs into my thinking and such anyway.

See, I don't mind having a lot of material to work through re: word counts. It's usually easier for me to widdle down a lot of info down to a potent section rather than adding filler. Right now I'm focusing on writing say a page per virtue and I plan to combine and condense until it's more like a paragraph or so per virtue, tops. Which is WAY harder than it sounds esp regarding some of the harder to define virtues like Wisdom.

Oh, I totally know what you mean.  I had to do an assignment similar to this for my Tech Writing class.  We had to take a thirty page essay and whittle it down into either one sentence or 100 words.  It wasn't pretty.

For me though, it's not really filler exactly, I just have too much to say. Smiley

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 24, 2011, 12:50:23 am »

Oh, I totally know what you mean.  I had to do an assignment similar to this for my Tech Writing class.  We had to take a thirty page essay and whittle it down into either one sentence or 100 words.  It wasn't pretty.

For me though, it's not really filler exactly, I just have too much to say. Smiley

Heh. Yeah didn't mean to imply it was filler, just that sometimes being forced to curb the word count can trim extraneous info down to the essence of the argument, so to speak.

I also find thesaurus.com supremely useful when I have to revise and condense. Sometimes a full sentence can be deleted in favor of the perfect word or phrase. Cheesy

It can still be a mega chore.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)