The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 16, 2019, 03:07:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2019, 03:07:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do tarot decks become entities?  (Read 4527 times)
Accioceroi
Apprentice
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 04:38:35 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Left Hand Path

Celestial delinquent of an androgynous mind.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 22, 2007, 04:35:48 pm »

Iíve been wondering when you ask a tarot deck a question does it really answer you, or is it just a tool you are subconsciously using to answer your own question? It strange but after a while of using cards I feel like Iím praying to a ĎTarot Godí or something. My decks seem to have their own personality after Iíve bonded to them. Does the bonding process of putting your personal energy in to the cards actually then makes them an entity or just a personally synchronized tool?

Any thoughts on the matter?

I am lying on the temple floor, uttering a lullaby of meaningless words, waiting for the snakes in my head to fall asleep.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 22, 2007, 06:10:05 pm »

Iíve been wondering when you ask a tarot deck a question does it really answer you, or is it just a tool you are subconsciously using to answer your own question? It strange but after a while of using cards I feel like Iím praying to a ĎTarot Godí or something. My decks seem to have their own personality after Iíve bonded to them. Does the bonding process of putting your personal energy in to the cards actually then makes them an entity or just a personally synchronized tool?

In my personal experience, my first tarot deck was *always* its own entity! That thing has so much attitude it's hilarious. Cheesy

F'ex, I had been thinking about how I should practice my tarot more, and that I should do a reading on myself, but instead I found a friend online who was willing to play guinea pig for me. My deck, however, decided that I *needed* a reading so damn it all, it was going to give me one! My friend couldn't make heads or tails of what I read, but I'm sitting here after every card going "Ack! That one's mine!" I've decided this deck is too volatile for 'public' readings, though I have an understanding with it when I do my own readings.

I have a Thoth deck that I bought because it looks cool, with every intention of using it... Unfortunately, I found later it just doesn't speak to me at all. I still have it, though I'll probably gift it to someone if the time comes. But since I've never read with it, I don't know if it has a personality like my first deck does.

I recently bought another deck for whenever readings that leaped off the shelf at me. I had a false start with it, because it's a completely different deck from my original, so it's currently resting and de-energizing before I pick it up again. Again, I haven't worked coherently with it enough to tell if it has a personality or not.

But it should be noted that I tend toward animist thinking about objects, so I'm likely a bit biased. Wink
Pythiana
Apprentice
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:22:01 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Under Construction

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 22, 2007, 06:17:17 pm »

What a great question!  And one that can be difficult to answer.  The cards are indeed a tool, but once you attune them to your own energy and thoughts, they become an extension of your own mind.  When I use a divinatory tool (pendulum, cards, whatever), I believe that I'm making a connection with the divine, and the result is an answer coming from deep within my own mind and the divine force (whatever you believe in).

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 22, 2007, 06:46:06 pm »

What a great question!  And one that can be difficult to answer.  The cards are indeed a tool, but once you attune them to your own energy and thoughts, they become an extension of your own mind.  When I use a divinatory tool (pendulum, cards, whatever), I believe that I'm making a connection with the divine, and the result is an answer coming from deep within my own mind and the divine force (whatever you believe in).
    I agree!  My own 1st experience with tarot was a reading by a long trusted friend, she was even shocked (as I was;remember this is her divination tool) by the events and insisted that my energy had empowered her reading.  I do not use tarot, but dreams, as a medium so I feel that either her Divine Power or mine favored us that day...  but which one?   I've experienced this 'energy' thru other mediums and other religious aspects and have yet to answer that question!   Just some ramblings....

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.
V23
Journeyman
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 02:09:27 am

Religion: Chaote

MEAN UGLY OLD FART

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 22, 2007, 06:51:48 pm »

I mostly agree with you.

I think that the tarot tells you nothing that you either didn't already know, or didn't already suspect . . . (but were afraid to admit)

The "divine" or whatever it is, leads you and the cards to that realization and confrontation of truth.  

In my opinion, mattering on the tool, the attitude, (or information) changes.  Just like working on a car, I can use a cresent wrench or a socket set.  Both have their advantages and disavantages, and their own issues.  Same with tarot decks.  How it relates information to you is limited to its ability for communication.  Some decks are better at relating diffrent kinds of communication than others.  This is why I use several kinds of decks.

Understand that Paradigm is the quintessence of Magick and belief is a tool for achieving effects; it is not an end in itself.
RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 22, 2007, 06:53:06 pm »

I do not use tarot, but dreams
  Maybe I better add that I don't use tarot as a divination tool but don't consider dreams per say as a divination tool. This just seems to be some sort of gift bestowed on me for whatever purpose I have not yet determined, since dreams come to us not at will or thru some physical manipulation...     more ramblings...

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 23, 2007, 08:30:56 pm »

I have to favored decks I use and they are very different from each other so I'd say to an extent, yes they an be their own entity. I find this question is a heavy one. Usually my experience is that I am connecting to the Divine at the same time as it's an extention of me. This makes sense to me as we are all of the Divine  anyhow. A few times though, it has seemed that someone, perhaps a spirit guide, a deceased ancestor, or maybe just the collective unconscious.....was pointing me in a direction I needed to go through my reading. I think it depends on the situation, the reading, even where you are on your path or in this life.you never know who you might get,lol. Mostly though, I feel it is just my abilities or the divine.

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 23, 2007, 08:34:12 pm »

I mostly agree with you.

I think that the tarot tells you nothing that you either didn't already know, or didn't already suspect . . . (but were afraid to admit)

I agree but I also think some things we do know we might not know consciously. I think our subconscious has access to things we don't always want ot be aware of. This can also tie in with any abilities or gifts we have,IMHO.

Same with tarot decks.  How it relates information to you is limited to its ability for communication.  Some decks are better at relating diffrent kinds of communication than others.  This is why I use several kinds of decks.

I agree, I use different decks according to situation, question, querents preference, and my own intuition.

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
V23
Journeyman
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 02:09:27 am

Religion: Chaote

MEAN UGLY OLD FART

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 24, 2007, 09:30:53 pm »

I agree but I also think some things we do know we might not know consciously. I think our subconscious has access to things we don't always want ot be aware of. This can also tie in with any abilities or gifts we have,IMHO.  

I can mostly agree with you.  If I were to believe in the idea of a super-conscious, I would have to accept your point.  I dont know if I am completely ready to accept that yet though . . .but I will take it as something very probable. IMHO  Smiley

Understand that Paradigm is the quintessence of Magick and belief is a tool for achieving effects; it is not an end in itself.
Silver Star
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2007, 01:35:03 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Blood Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 25, 2007, 03:49:15 pm »

Admittedly, I only have two decks, but from my limited experience, the cards do seem to have their own personalities.  When I bonded to my first deck, it gave me answers when I asked for them, but it never seemed to really speak to me, to be honest I felt like a child asking stupid questions of an adult.  It felt like they demanded a lot of respect from me and by the time I finished a reading I always felt mentally exhausted.  When I found my second deck, I found it a lot easier to bond with them, it wasn't so hard for me to connect and it didn't take as long either.  I spent months attuning to my first deck but it took only a week or so to connect to my second and when I read with them they're a lot more helpful as well.  Even when things look bleak my second deck encourages me and now I use them almost exclusively.  And unlike my other deck, sometimes these ones call to me first, I don't have to go to them.

I don't know if they're an entity as such, but a personality, definitely, or maybe they just resonate to the strongest aspects of my own personality, which would explain the strong connection I feel we have. 

I'm no expert, but that's been my personal experience with the cards.  I do look for new decks, as it's not wise to rely on just one, but I rely on my instinct and after finding a deck i've connected with so well, i've havn't found another which feels anywhere near as strong.

In conclusion, I dont feel that the cards are just a tool, but then I don't feel that they are a separate entity either. Maybe they're a symbiote.

And sorry, that was quite long winded.  Newbie, don't hurt me!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: June 25, 2007, 04:02:19 pm »

Maybe they're a symbiote.

Now, that is a fascinating idea.  I do tend to think of my cards, at least the ones I use most often, as entities.  They have been known to 'yell' at me, mostly for frivolous usage or repeating the same question over and over.  The responses get snippy, even rude, and I get headaches.

But them, I do that to people in RL, so the idea of the cards as a symbiotic partner, partaking of some of my own snarkyness, while giving it more rein and depth and knowledge, basically, is a cool shiny new concept to play with.

Thank you.  And don't apologize for long posts.  As you get used to TC you'll realize we're a pretty wordy bunch.  Succinctness is something to admire, and some of us are good at it, but when we get our teeth into an idea most of use ten (or a hundred) words where one would do, simply in the interests of completeness.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
ant
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 18, 2010, 06:44:50 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: no subscriptions

no ant pic =(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 04, 2007, 01:05:06 pm »

I think your imagination holds to power to make anything become an entity, you just have to believe it enough and it shall be Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)