The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2021, 04:00:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2021, 04:00:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rapture's No Longer Funny -- The Real Deaths  (Read 8295 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 25, 2011, 11:31:54 am »

Well, as I feared, but hadn't heard about until now, the doomsday predictions DID have more serious consequences than just folks losing a lot of money and face.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110524/sc_livescience/faileddoomsdayhasrealdeadlyconsequences

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 25, 2011, 11:36:22 am »

Well, as I feared, but hadn't heard about until now, the doomsday predictions DID have more serious consequences than just folks losing a lot of money and face.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110524/sc_livescience/faileddoomsdayhasrealdeadlyconsequences

I suppose it had to happen, didn't it? I was hoping that this wouldn't happen this time.......

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 25, 2011, 11:37:49 am »

I suppose it had to happen, didn't it? I was hoping that this wouldn't happen this time.......

Yeah, me too.  I know lots of folks will say that the people who did it were idiots and all that, but... I still feel sorry for them. Belief is such a powerful, powerful thing and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Not that I think Mr. Rapture Predictor was being light with it at all, which makes it all the more dangerous.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 25, 2011, 12:04:13 pm »

I'm sad that this is the outcome of one man's garbled idea of secret messages in the Bible... Though I won't say that those who committed suicide or tried to are idiots, I do believe that they must have had deeper psychological problems beforehand. As far as I'm aware, Camping did not announce that one should kill oneself before the Rapture. So while the belief in the Rapture certainly played a strong part in the man's decision to kill himself, I do assume that he cannot have been psychologically sane (and - I'm playing devil's advocate here - he might have chosen to end his life even without the announcement of the Rapture, e.g. when a different news item proclaiming a catastrophe came along).

By all means, don't get me wrong in that I make light of it - I do find it sad that this Rapture thing has led to deaths. I'm just saying you can't hold it resposible for every person's actions.

A week ago, I read an article on people who have given away all their belongings and planned on not having any earthly possessions on Rapture Day. I feel with those people, too, because I wonder how they are going to get their life back under control, having lost or quit their jobs, without any money left to buy proper food and housing for themselves and their kids, and possibly having lost their belief, as well...

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
AngelinaDragonis
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:30:29 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

mouseears07

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 25, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »

Unfortunately I can't say I'm terribly surprised... faith (or rather fear) can drive someone to do things that they would never do in their right minds.

I just wish people would stop paying attention to this loon.   Angry
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 25, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »

I'm sad that this is the outcome of one man's garbled idea of secret messages in the Bible... Though I won't say that those who committed suicide or tried to are idiots, I do believe that they must have had deeper psychological problems beforehand. As far as I'm aware, Camping did not announce that one should kill oneself before the Rapture. So while the belief in the Rapture certainly played a strong part in the man's decision to kill himself, I do assume that he cannot have been psychologically sane (and - I'm playing devil's advocate here - he might have chosen to end his life even without the announcement of the Rapture, e.g. when a different news item proclaiming a catastrophe came along).

By all means, don't get me wrong in that I make light of it - I do find it sad that this Rapture thing has led to deaths. I'm just saying you can't hold it resposible for every person's actions.

A week ago, I read an article on people who have given away all their belongings and planned on not having any earthly possessions on Rapture Day. I feel with those people, too, because I wonder how they are going to get their life back under control, having lost or quit their jobs, without any money left to buy proper food and housing for themselves and their kids, and possibly having lost their belief, as well...

No, I agree with you-- there might have been 'something there' that was wrong to begin with. 

But fear does play a big part in acts like this. It's... brainwashing, really, all of this.  And tragic.  And what's sadder is that whether or not these folks thought they were going to Heaven (the woman with her kids I -think- was worried about being "left behind"?), by the Christian doctrine, killing oneself or others definitely is the ticket to Hell, not Heaven.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 25, 2011, 05:10:27 pm »

That's sad, but I can't really blame Camping for this type of stuff. Nothing I'm aware that he said even implies one should kill oneself or anyone else.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 25, 2011, 05:41:34 pm »

That's sad, but I can't really blame Camping for this type of stuff. Nothing I'm aware that he said even implies one should kill oneself or anyone else.

No, but throughout history, there've been similar predictions with similar results, even if folks didn't say, "GO KILL YOURSELF!"

On the other hand....

It's easy to say he should have been careful with his predictions, but then again, how would one go about making a doomsday prediction that was careful? It's all well and good to say to folks "Don't kill yourself", but those folks who follow this guy (or others who do similar things) but think they might be left behind to face doomsday rather than being vacuumed up by the Celestial Hoover are probably going to be terrified.

So, we'd all have rather had him not say anything at ALL, but that wasn't possible. But I wish he, or more importantly, his followers, had done a little research and seen how many times stuff like this had happened, and just... I dunno. Waited. To see if doom and destruction would happen.

Wish in one hand, s**t in the other, see which one gets full faster...

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 25, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »

No, but throughout history, there've been similar predictions with similar results, even if folks didn't say, "GO KILL YOURSELF!"

On the other hand....

It's easy to say he should have been careful with his predictions, but then again, how would one go about making a doomsday prediction that was careful? It's all well and good to say to folks "Don't kill yourself", but those folks who follow this guy (or others who do similar things) but think they might be left behind to face doomsday rather than being vacuumed up by the Celestial Hoover are probably going to be terrified.

So, we'd all have rather had him not say anything at ALL, but that wasn't possible. But I wish he, or more importantly, his followers, had done a little research and seen how many times stuff like this had happened, and just... I dunno. Waited. To see if doom and destruction would happen.

Wish in one hand, s**t in the other, see which one gets full faster...

But it's not like you couldn't notice "whoops, rapture happened, didn't include me ......" ... I mean ....

Last I checked, even with the worst Rapture believers, it's not like the Rapture happens and *Poof!* everyone else is screwed!  these things take TIME!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Arcadia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 11, 2020, 08:06:58 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist, dedicated to Artemis, Dionysus, Aurora.
TCN ID: Arcadia

Guided be the hand and mind

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 25, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »

How sad this is... especially the mother and her daughters, they must have suffered terribly... and will have trauma from the experience for life probably.

I agree with what everyone has said here, this kind of thing is bound to happen, and these people who killed themselves or tried, must have had some kind underlying issue to begin with.

It's hard not to want to feel mad at the situation. I don't blame anyone as such, even if this guy had said "don't do anything rash, don't kill yourself or give away all your wordly possessions etc" it still would have happened somewhere. Fear and Faith are powerful things, especially when combined.... and dangerous in this case  Sad
I don't wish to bash anyone's faith or ideas or religion, so I hope I haven't said anything to offend, if I have I apologise in advance. This is a touchy subject.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 25, 2011, 06:23:25 pm »

As a firm believer in free speech, I certainly would not have wished he would not have said anything at all. He is not responsible for people who choose to believe his predictions and take ridiculous actions based on it: especially since he did not tell people to sell all their possessions, kill themselves, etc. Yes, it is a shame that a few people make bad choices, but (unless he encouraged such choices) Camping is no more responsible for those choices than you or I are.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 26, 2011, 11:54:55 am »

But it's not like you couldn't notice "whoops, rapture happened, didn't include me ......" ... I mean ....

Last I checked, even with the worst Rapture believers, it's not like the Rapture happens and *Poof!* everyone else is screwed!  these things take TIME!

Wait, what... I don't know which part of my post you're referencing...

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 26, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »

Wait, what... I don't know which part of my post you're referencing...

*reads back* me neither at this point.  I think I just went off on a rant about how even if you believed the whole doomsday thing, there STILL wasn't reason to act the way they did.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 27, 2011, 03:16:52 am »

As a firm believer in free speech, I certainly would not have wished he would not have said anything at all. He is not responsible for people who choose to believe his predictions and take ridiculous actions based on it: especially since he did not tell people to sell all their possessions, kill themselves, etc. Yes, it is a shame that a few people make bad choices, but (unless he encouraged such choices) Camping is no more responsible for those choices than you or I are.

I'm going to have to disagree. He is a grown man and a public figure, using a public platform to make false prophecies ("No man knows the day or hour," Matthew 24: 36) without any thought as to how he might cause panic. You don't get to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 27, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

I'm going to have to disagree. He is a grown man and a public figure, using a public platform to make false prophecies ("No man knows the day or hour," Matthew 24: 36) without any thought as to how he might cause panic. You don't get to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater.

If I understand you correctly, you seem to suggest that Camping deliberately put out false information and forgot to warn people about it. What if he truly believed that he had indeed calculated the date correctly? I don't want to go into a theological dispute over you should or shouldn't try to find out the day of the Rapture at all, since my knowledge of Christianity and the Bible is fairly limited. I'm just saying that in modern society, a lot of the time people express their believes - and even sometimes scientific "facts" - that they sincerely believe to be true.

To give you an example: In the last few years, German newspapers had headlines about the dangers of bird flu, swine flu, mad cow disease and the like for weeks on end. While I believe that the scientific information was correct - or at least not outright false - it was on the individual to decide whether s/he wanted to a) believe what was in the papers, and b) go mental. While I am aware that there is no religious faith involved here, it boils down to the same thing: people who are already susceptible to illogical fears will act in an illogical fashion once information about possible dangers reach them. You can't really blame the people who put out this information for people reacting illogically.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)