The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:02:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:02:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming a Norse Pagan without joining Asatru?  (Read 44377 times)
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 13, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »

However (and this is not a jab at you, Bob) when I see comments to the effect of "read the Eddas and Sagas and go from there" I can't help but think that it would be like a Christian saying "read the Bible, it has everything you need in order to practice Christianity", when the Bible alone certainly wouldn't be enough to practice Catholicism, which also heavily relies on tradition. Call me crazy, but I don't think relying on primary sources alone is going to cut it, and I don't think people should feel as if they need a PhD to practice religion, nor do they want to spend years going through dry academic tome after dry academic tome. I know Asatru is called "the religion with homework" but I think that at some point it stops being "homework" and starts being "ridiculous".

But there are a lot of religions with religious texts or printed myths. Why would it have to necessarily remind you of Christianity?  Huh I read the Eddas first because it just made sense to me to know the myths that all these other 'accessible' books were referencing. It was nice to read them and form my own opinion before I read another's interpretation of what they meant.

Another thing I like about the primary sources is that those are the stories that people heard; the everyday people in a time when most coudn't read and write and when they certainly didn't go to college and get a Master's. All the other stuff? The talking, the theorizing, the analyzing...that's just philosophical chatter around the campfire. Wink

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: June 13, 2011, 05:27:06 pm »

I've had a brief look at the Asatru Lore forum (since that's what it is) and wonder why you would need to invite someone to another forum to further their 'education' - presumably because what you have to say might contravene the rules here? Call me cynical, but.......
That's quite the presumptive leap.

I would posit, rather, that Bob - like a great many Heathens, when this topic comes up - is simply tired of repeating himself, and rather than cover that ground yet again, prefers to refer people to those places where it's already been covered.

It's been covered here, too, in a way probably better suited to our mix of recon and non-recon - and to your particular POV - than the AL coverage; see this thread.  (Hyacinth Belle, you might want to link that one in the "resources to avoid" sticky thread as well.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: June 13, 2011, 05:57:49 pm »

I would posit, rather, that Bob - like a great many Heathens, when this topic comes up - is simply tired of repeating himself, and rather than cover that ground yet again, prefers to refer people to those places where it's already been covered.
I'm getting there too, actually. lol.

It's been covered here, too, in a way probably better suited to our mix of recon and non-recon - and to your particular POV - than the AL coverage; see this thread.  (Hyacinth Belle, you might want to link that one in the "resources to avoid" sticky thread as well.)
Good thought; thanks.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #48: June 13, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »

I'm getting there too, actually. lol.

*laugh* Thanks all for 'getting' me, you are absolutely right I AM getting weary of constantly repeating myself. Over on AL we have been accused of being unfriendly to newcomers by asking them to 'use the search'. It's not that we're being unfriendly, we just want people to know that in many or even most cases, the questions they may have are likely to have already been answered and discussed at length in the past. By searching out these threads, they can get the answers they seek without us having to repeat ourselves every few days for the past ten years. Really, we're not being flippant! Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.