The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 02:06:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 02:06:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vegemite  (Read 5220 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 27, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »

I just bought a jar of Vegemite!  I'd never seen it around here, and grabbed it the second I laid eyes on it, because I've wanted to try it ever since Men at Works' Down Under. Grin

The trouble is, I foolishly didn't check the expiration date until I got home.  I haven't opened it yet, and am trying to decide if I should try and return it.  It supposedly expired in February, but from what I've read online, it's supposedly like honey and virtually never goes bad so long as you don't contaminate the jar with butter or something.

Does anyone know for sure?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

savatage
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2015, 02:18:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: working on it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 27, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »

it's supposedly like honey and virtually never goes bad so long as you don't contaminate the jar with butter or something.

It doesn't really go off. Also, when you try it use it sparingly it's very strong... though i personally slather it on my toast

on a side note, vegemite is really good for mouth ulcers
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 27, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »

I just bought a jar of Vegemite!

I can't answer your question (though what I hear about it I can't just imagine how it could ever get spoiled...)

But I wanted to add this Smiley
Quote from: Terry Prachtett, The Last Continent
Then another insight struck him at the speed of beer. Beer! It was only water, really, with stuff in it. Wasn't it? And most of what was in it was yeast, which was practically a medicine and definitely a food. In fact, when you thought about it beer was only a kind of runny bread, in fact, it 'd be better to use some of the beer in the soup! Beer soup! A few brain cells registered their doubt, but the rest of them grabbed them by the collar and said hoarsely, people cooked chicken in wine, didn't they?

[...]
A blob eventually came loose. Rincewind tasted it, gingerly. It was just possible that if you mixed yeasty beer and vegetables together you'd getó
No, what you got was salty-tasting beery brown gunk.
Odd, though . . . It was kind of horrible, but nevertheless Rincewind found himself having another taste.
Oh, gods. Now he was really thirsty.
http://www.gringoes.com/forum/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=2666
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 27, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »

If it looks normal then it is probably fine but I did have a jar go mouldy once so it can happen.Assuming it was properly sealed then I wouldn't pay much attention to the experation date.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 27, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

I just bought a jar of Vegemite!  I'd never seen it around here, and grabbed it the second I laid eyes on it, because I've wanted to try it ever since Men at Works' Down Under. Grin

The trouble is, I foolishly didn't check the expiration date until I got home.  I haven't opened it yet, and am trying to decide if I should try and return it.  It supposedly expired in February, but from what I've read online, it's supposedly like honey and virtually never goes bad so long as you don't contaminate the jar with butter or something.

The only thing I know about vegemite, I learned from a song lyric. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 28, 2011, 01:39:42 am »

Vegemite has a half life, rather than an expiry date- it doesn't go off. It can't!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 28, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

Vegemite has a half life, rather than an expiry date- it doesn't go off. It can't!

Thanks, everybody!  I didn't have a chance to check this before I had to make a decision; I went ahead and returned it, since I wasn't sure.  I'm hoping they'll get a new batch soon.

So, what does it taste like?  And how does it compare to Marmite?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.