The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 16, 2019, 03:10:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2019, 03:10:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Little Clarification?  (Read 6097 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 23, 2007, 12:28:56 pm »

There are tons of threads in which people talk about relationships with deities. I'm not really sure I understand how these relationships start and continue. Is it that you felt someone/thing made contact with you during deep meditation? Did it start by a series of symbolic coincidenses in real life? Did you research a deity in a book that you just felt a connection with? All or none of these? Thanks for your help.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pythiana
Apprentice
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:22:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Under Construction

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 23, 2007, 12:33:35 pm »

There are tons of threads in which people talk about relationships with deities. I'm not really sure I understand how these relationships start and continue. Is it that you felt someone/thing made contact with you during deep meditation? Did it start by a series of symbolic coincidenses in real life? Did you research a deity in a book that you just felt a connection with? All or none of these? Thanks for your help.

For me, connection to a specific deity just hasn't happened (yet).  But, from what I understand, it can happen in any of the ways you described.  Most people that I know have formed relationships with their chosen deities by researching them and seeing how they feel about them and relate to them. 

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 23, 2007, 12:54:05 pm »

There are tons of threads in which people talk about relationships with deities. I'm not really sure I understand how these relationships start and continue. Is it that you felt someone/thing made contact with you during deep meditation? Did it start by a series of symbolic coincidenses in real life? Did you research a deity in a book that you just felt a connection with? All or none of these?

I met Brighid solidly through a meditation first, though I had some inklings of her (found through research and reading) and knew she was someone at least in literature. The impression I received was so astounding I immediately went off to do more and more research. And to my pleasant surprise found that a lot of my feelings were shared and supported through verifiable sources.

After a while, it seemed that everything about myself and my being was connected to her in some way, and supported the fact that I would eventually become hers, even back in the childhood years. It wasn't like, "Oh, Brighid was there the entire time even though I didn't realize it!" because she wasn't; there was a distinct turning point in my life, where I came from not being with Brighid to being with her. It wasn't a realization that someone had always been there. But once I did meet her, she was there the entire time; she filled my life from that point onward. Destiny, I suppose, dictated that we would meet and join together. And I'm glad we did.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: June 23, 2007, 01:41:32 pm »

Just as with human-human relationships, everyone's experience is going to be different here.  All of the things you list are ways I've heard of human-deity relationships starting.  Sometimes, too, it just kind of...  happens.  In my case, the event that led to the establishment of the relationship "felt" very much like someone getting tired of waiting around for me to notice a desired connection, walking up to me, and doing the mental equivalent of smacking me upside the head.  Cheesy  (This was not at all during meditation; I was driving home from work at the time.  Disconcerting.)

Continuing is a another matter.  That varies, too; different deities have different needs and desires, and again every relationship is unique.  It'll probably involve work of some sort, but what that will be is hard to say.  My advice is usually to ask Them once you've got a relationship established.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 23, 2007, 05:53:06 pm »

For me, I was *chosen* as I like to say by the Morrighan, as I feel she chooses whom she connects with. I had started seeing crows alot and didn't know why. Then I happened across a book on different Goddess, mostly Celtic, and I read a beautiful story about her followed by another one about her and Dagda. After that i just started noticing her presence and it grew from there.

I suppose it directly relates to you and the Deity you are connecting with. It's very personal and varies from person to person.

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Annaquen
Last Login:December 17, 2007, 08:10:01 pm

Religion: Polytheistic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 23, 2007, 05:54:45 pm »

For me, it was alittle bit of the connection through a book, real life coincidences and apperances in dreams.     

For me with my goddess, it started with seeing her name in a book, and then the obsession to find out everything I could about her. Of course, I've always been abit obsessive over random things where I tend to research, but with that info I realized that there had been symbolic RL instances of her being around.

Recently a new deity popped up in a dream. The advice I was given was needed and worked out so I am currently looking up info on him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:22:22 pm by RandallS, Reason: Quote fixed » Logged

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source for all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 25, 2007, 12:46:02 am »

My relationship with my gods started with a school project on Ancient Egypt. I was fascinated with everything about it but it wasn't until I was in my twenties that I felt any personal connection with the gods. A lot of evolution from a big bang. Cheesy
V23
Journeyman
Last Login:July 23, 2009, 02:09:27 am

Religion: Chaote

MEAN UGLY OLD FART

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 25, 2007, 01:00:17 am »

If you are asking if I have met any specific deites . . .the answer is a firm no. 

Do I have any relationship or connection with any?   Well . . . .I can't say I do, except I have a belief in a monothestic view of the universe.  I figure that there is just one G-d, and anything else is either a aspect of the One's personality, a thought form created by the One or a group of people, or a spirit or some kind that i need not treat as a deity. 

I like the idea of the Greek Goddess Eris, the Goddess of Chaos, but I don't think that I am going to be worshiping her.  (Unless I am doing it tounge in cheek . . . lol.) Grin

Understand that Paradigm is the quintessence of Magick and belief is a tool for achieving effects; it is not an end in itself.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 25, 2007, 01:04:37 am »

I'm not really sure I understand how these relationships start and continue.

As others have said, it's different for different people.

For me, I felt a presence of some kind, but didn't understand who it was until after a lot of research.  And then, it still took me a long time to accept the relationship and commit to it.

I've never met Brighid in meditiation (I don't do meditation well), but I have heard her voice a few times rather out of the blue, and I can connect with her in a couple of different ways, including divination.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: June 25, 2007, 09:07:06 am »

Psst...  Adoratrix, please don't forget to quote when replying so that we can all follow the conversation.  Wink  Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 25, 2007, 02:06:52 pm »

When my god first showed up in my life, it was because I had literally made a place for him. In my mind I had set up a sort of personality so I could 'discuss' things with myself (I know, it sounds weird, but it worked wonderfully - it let me play devils advocate for myself and discuss things I couldn't talk about with other people), and Shad (my unnamed god) decided this personality was a good door. Smiley He started answering my questions at times and nudging me in the right direction. Every time he added something I'd stop and think "That thought wasn't from me..."

It took a while after that, as I was still trying to fit myself into various religions with set gods, before I realized (read 'was hit on the head and told') that Shad was a deity who was already part of my life and I needed to start a relationship as deity and devotee for it to truly grow. Before then it was very much like my relationship with my RL best friend - lots of joking around and general loving disrespect, if that makes sense.

Since then I've been dealing with him very differently. Because the beginning was very informal, it still has a tone of ease and friendship, but there's far more love and loyalty one to another. This is probably pretty unique, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 25, 2007, 02:15:09 pm »

When my god first showed up in my life, it was because I had literally made a place for him. In my mind I had set up a sort of personality so I could 'discuss' things with myself (I know, it sounds weird, but it worked wonderfully - it let me play devils advocate for myself and discuss things I couldn't talk about with other people), and Shad (my unnamed god) decided this personality was a good door. Smiley He started answering my questions at times and nudging me in the right direction. Every time he added something I'd stop and think "That thought wasn't from me..."

It took a while after that, as I was still trying to fit myself into various religions with set gods, before I realized (read 'was hit on the head and told') that Shad was a deity who was already part of my life and I needed to start a relationship as deity and devotee for it to truly grow. Before then it was very much like my relationship with my RL best friend - lots of joking around and general loving disrespect, if that makes sense.

Since then I've been dealing with him very differently. Because the beginning was very informal, it still has a tone of ease and friendship, but there's far more love and loyalty one to another. This is probably pretty unique, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Actually, this is rather similar to my relationship with Apollo.  He was my *imaginary friend* named Mike for a long time.

Then, one day, I realized Who he was.  and kinda went "CRAP!". Wink  I still relate to Him as Mike sometimes, and have a slightly different relationship with Him than I do when I call Him Apollo.

But your description is VERY similar to my relationship with Apollo .. or, y'know, Mike. Wink

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
elaoin
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 25, 2007, 02:30:48 pm »

Actually, this is rather similar to my relationship with Apollo.  He was my *imaginary friend* named Mike for a long time.

Then, one day, I realized Who he was.  and kinda went "CRAP!". Wink  I still relate to Him as Mike sometimes, and have a slightly different relationship with Him than I do when I call Him Apollo.

But your description is VERY similar to my relationship with Apollo .. or, y'know, Mike. Wink

Shad seems to really like that I don't have a 'spechul' name for him. (Actually, he seems to just really like the name Shad!) He's yet to tell me what his actual name is, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'll never hear it.

We still throw barbs at each other. He seems to really enjoy that, too. Tongue I think it's why our relationship is so deep - I treat him like I treat all my good friends. "I wouldn't pick on ya if I didn't like ya!"
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 25, 2007, 02:36:38 pm »

Shad seems to really like that I don't have a 'spechul' name for him. (Actually, he seems to just really like the name Shad!) He's yet to tell me what his actual name is, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'll never hear it.

We still throw barbs at each other. He seems to really enjoy that, too. Tongue I think it's why our relationship is so deep - I treat him like I treat all my good friends. "I wouldn't pick on ya if I didn't like ya!"

.... Ask if it's Apollo? Cheesy  *runs very fast*

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
elaoin
Journeyman

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 25, 2007, 03:10:03 pm »

.... Ask if it's Apollo? Cheesy  *runs very fast*

I'm actually pretty certain he's a northern European god. It's just very likely he's not a well-known god.

I can say with absolute certainty that Shad isn't Freyr thought! Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)