The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 07:56:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 07:56:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best Part of Heathenry / Asatru  (Read 8497 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 30, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »

What is the best part for you of being heathen, Asatru, Norse pagan, whatever? It's easy to get caught up in the negativity or misconceptions about this great group of religions, that I think it's good to remember what we love about it in the first place.

Go! Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

spearandhammer
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:55:30 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 30, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »

What is the best part for you of being heathen, Asatru, Norse pagan, whatever? It's easy to get caught up in the negativity or misconceptions about this great group of religions, that I think it's good to remember what we love about it in the first place.

Go! Smiley

So far for me, it's a feeling of heritage and, dare I say, family values.     I feel like most neopagan faiths exist for individuals to get mystical highs and little else. Heathenry gives you a sense of where you came from, and how you fit in with the big picture.  There are still mystical schools of thought for those so inclined, but it's not the point of religion.     With heathenry  I don't need to practice some esoteric tradition to feel like I am close to something sacred, because the home and hearth are sacred.
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: May 30, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »

Go! Smiley

Connection to the past, connection to my ancestors, and connection to my family and community. Even those who are not of my faith, can benefit from my own civic mindedness and in turn my own standing and luck is enhanced. It's a faith for people who DO, not just talk, and I like that we highly praise right-action and plain speech.

That, plus I have to admit it's funny as hell to walk around pan-pagan gatherings with my Hammer proudly displayed and see how some groups react almost with fear and awe (it's one of THEM! The VIKING PEOPLE!). It's a cheesy power trip LOL Smiley

Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 01, 2011, 02:56:54 am »

Go! Smiley

Where to start? Wink

Naturally I love the connection to the ancestors and family and gods as others do. I like that it isn't a path about personal salvation or enlightenment. It's not about being God's special snowflake, it's about something bigger than yourself. For all the bad rap that heathenry gets for being full of assholes, we're actually incredibly more self-less and community-minded then I think we get credit for. I don't know how to say this, but I love the stark beauty of heathenry. I like the image of bloodied, brutal, war-weary men bowing down to a Matrone votive stone amd just that contradiction...or complement, even. (I should probably take time to mention I'm a romantic idealist at heart...) The idea that these 'savage' and 'brutal' men and women found beauty and delicacy in their lives really touches me. The fact that they named the lady bug after Freyja brings a smile to my face.

I love the shades of grey. I love that Odin isn't purely good or Loki purely evil. I love that the gods have personalities and flaws and are fleshed-out dieties and not black and white concretes. I love the complexities of the lore , I love how stories tie into each other and every aspect of uncovering a particular part of the worldview reveals new and intertwined concepts and values and realizations. I love how proud they are; that their flood myth basically said "Yo, that shit happened to those douches over there, not us" and that it benefited them rather than punished them. They weren't self=loathing, they weren't sinful, they weren't unworthy. It was a faith for good men and women that wanted the best for their loved ones and their future loved ones and didn't look for escape but for bettering here and now.

Er...that's all for now, I think. Smiley
Mark C.
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 12:03:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen of as yet undefined specificity :-)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 01, 2011, 04:52:54 am »

Nice question!

I’m sure I’m the same as many when I say that one of the great things about heathenry etc is the realisation that you always were heathen (or whatever label people use) but never knew that there was such a thing. That, “Yep, this is it!” moment is pretty special.

The thing that sold me was the Havamal. No obscure otherworldly commandments, just solid workable guidance for a good life in the here and now. I love how heathenry focuses on this world and not the next.

I also love how the gods are imminent. We can see them in the changing of the seasons, the sun, the wind and the rain, the growth of plants and the flowing of rivers and streams. It made me realise that “divinity” is not something separated from this “fallen world”, but something that surrounds us and flows through the workings of the universe; including ourselves.

Putting historical debates on Ragnarok aside, that myth inspired me because the gods can die! And because they are not immortal, and are not omnipotent or all-powerful, they are capable of genuinely heroic action. We can relate to them and they can inspire us.

As in life, there is no guaranteed happy ending. There is no deity who can fix all problems with a celestial phone call. Like the gods, it is our bold actions that determine our fate. That notion is empowering (frightening for some?).

The connection with ancestry is also something I love. It reminds me that the life I was born into and my very flesh are something that my ancestors’ actions and decisions bequeathed to me. When I breathe; they breathe. Heathery reminds me that I'm part of a "wide community" that consists of both the dead and the living.

Personally I’m sceptical about the idea of a personal afterlife, but I do know that when I die I’ll be joining my ancestors – whether in another state of being or personal oblivion – and I like that thought.

I also love the idea that we live on in this world through our actions and deeds while we live. Trying to live in a way that will outlive you and be of benefit to those who reside in this world after we have left encourages good morals and a full life.

My actions are not about my personal salvation or my fate in any afterlife, but how they impact on the people around me and the people who come after me. My ancestors have given me more than I can ever repay, so what I need to do is ensure my actions contribute to those who come after me. I want to become a "good ancestor".

Heathenry also includes a god who likes eating, drinking, and whacking things with a mallet! What’s not to like?  Wink

Mark.

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 01, 2011, 09:05:12 am »

I also love how the gods are imminent. We can see them in the changing of the seasons, the sun, the wind and the rain, the growth of plants and the flowing of rivers and streams. It made me realise that “divinity” is not something separated from this “fallen world”, but something that surrounds us and flows through the workings of the universe; including ourselves.

One other thing to add is that I like the distinction between the "nature" of crops and plentiful food, and the "nature" of floods, drought, and famine. There is no universal “nature is good” but an acknowledgement that nature also can destroy the endeavours of mankind in a heartbeat (as personified in the Jontuns). As well as working with nature, we also need protecting from it.

There is also no “God is good and all powerful” so we don’t have to explain why good things happen to bad people, and why bad things to happen to good people. The simple answer of, “because sh#t happens!” explains that for a heathen :-)

Heathenry reflects the world around us. We don’t have to try to square the circle between doctrine and the way the real word operates. Observing the world bolsters my religious belief as opposed to contradicting and undermining it.

There also seems to be far less inclination to take the myths as literal truth. I’ve never yet came across a Heathen who believes in Audhumla as literal “sky cow” at the universe’s beginning. Instead the myths tend to be taken as poetic metaphor for the underlying nature of things and man’s place within the universe. Heathenry therefore allows one to have a religion and not have to deny, dodge or pervert science in order to reconcile the two.

Drinking mead from horns is cool too.

Mark.

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 02, 2011, 07:34:23 am »

Drinking mead from horns is cool too.

It does make me smile when I think that I have a religious duty to finish my ale. A pint of ale is usually poured with the explanation: 'I'm having a religious urge'.

My gods spur me to fight, and resist the temptation of laziness and inactivity. Sometimes it's as little as 'I hate the English weather, and I don't want to walk these two miles. But I must! Because the mother of my mother needs me to be there!'

It is my religion, my worldview, my attitude: I was made strong enough to face the day but weak enough to fall when decreed. I love that, it's grim determination to get the best while I can and be of good service to those I'm near.

I also agree, Mark, with the acceptance of 'Shirt happens'. I went through a lovely New-Agey phase of 'Oh no - my washing fell off the line and into the hop bushes! This must be karmic retribution for... leaving work five minutes early!' Randomly, helplessly and unintelligently searching for the manifestation of the Immanent and Petty Laws of Western Karma that would punish me at every turn. Frankly, it's much more natural and becoming to cast an eye over the mishap and remark that 'Shirt happens'.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 03, 2011, 05:29:54 am »

the Immanent and Petty Laws of Western Karma
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I am so borrowing that.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 03, 2011, 09:45:56 am »

Connection to the past, connection to my ancestors, and connection to my family and community. Even those who are not of my faith, can benefit from my own civic mindedness and in turn my own standing and luck is enhanced. It's a faith for people who DO, not just talk, and I like that we highly praise right-action and plain speech.

What Bob said above is IMO the best part of Heathenry. Although, plain speech in my family has always been advocated to dancing around the issue, or using fluffy flowery speech.

That, plus I have to admit it's funny as hell to walk around pan-pagan gatherings with my Hammer proudly displayed and see how some groups react almost with fear and awe (it's one of THEM! The VIKING PEOPLE!). It's a cheesy power trip LOL Smiley

So going to have to do this now.

NorthernSpirit
Apprentice
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 08:03:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 03, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »

Go! Smiley

This is great!  Smiley I really needed a thread like this after all the bitching I've been doing lately *lol*

I love how heathenry is simple and no-frills while at the same time being profound and beautiful. It has a very.....hmmm....'primal' feel to it. I like the imagery.

I love how it makes sense of things I have felt and believed my whole life. It explains why in the forest, as a child, I felt there were "spirits" around me. It explains why I felt that there were many powerful forces at work in the world of which I was in awe and often fear, not just one transcendent god. It explains why I felt I could still talk to my dead grandparents and why I felt they were still part of our lives.

As a very moral person who always had a very deep sense of personal honour, I love how heathenry is about right-action and recognizing your impact on others. I love that it is community-minded, family-oriented, and focused on this life and the people around you. I love that heathenry gives me a sense of inter-connectedness - I am connected to the world around me, and to those who came before, live now, and will come after.

I love that heathenry is organic, not dogmatic. I love that heathenry is about reciprocity. I love the myths and the layers of symbolism. I love that it encourages men to be manly and women to be womanly and that there is nothing wrong with acknowledging our innate strengths. I love how it encourages you to be proud but not arrogant, generous but discerning, faithful but not blind, self-aware and honest, glad even when things are gloomy, and loyal and honourable even when doing the right thing pains you.

So many great things!  Smiley

Mark C.
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 03, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »

I love how heathenry is simple and no-frills while at the same time being profound and beautiful. It has a very.....hmmm....'primal' feel to it. I like the imagery.

I love how it makes sense of things I have felt and believed my whole life. It explains why in the forest, as a child, I felt there were "spirits" around me. It explains why I felt that there were many powerful forces at work in the world of which I was in awe and often fear, not just one transcendent god. It explains why I felt I could still talk to my dead grandparents and why I felt they were still part of our lives.

As a very moral person who always had a very deep sense of personal honour, I love how heathenry is about right-action and recognizing your impact on others. I love that it is community-minded, family-oriented, and focused on this life and the people around you.

Nothing to say other than the above post is awesome! Grin

Mark.

Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 03, 2011, 04:45:37 pm »

Nothing to say other than the above post is awesome! Grin

Mark.
I agree! Can we vote it as the best post of the year?  Cheesy But really, that was beautiful NorthernSpirit.
Vorare
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 08:48:26 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 03, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »

I find it interesting to see how many people have mentioned the family aspect of it as my experiences have been very solitary, perhaps due to me having very little family. Anyway, that way of thinking has never really occurred to me (though I should probably sort it out...).

Back to the question, for me its probably the feeling of something old and historical that I'm keeping a little part of alive.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 03, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »

I find it interesting to see how many people have mentioned the family aspect of it as my experiences have been very solitary, perhaps due to me having very little family. Anyway, that way of thinking has never really occurred to me (though I should probably sort it out...).
Good point, and something I've experienced at well. The way I look at it, Heathenry is so closely intertwined with life so that it's not "Now I spend time honoring my family religiously" and "Now I spend time with my family for real." It's not compartmentalized like that. So any time I get to spend with my family is important no matter what the occasion or what we're doing. I'm not "out" with my family (mostly because of my grandmother), but I get cards that say Yule instead of Christmas and I don't give out Easter cards. But gathering for Christmas and Easter are family traditions, and they are events that I can find private value in to enrich me spiritually.

Also, I think friends are often "family," not just blood (blasphemous?). And quality, not quantity, as in all things!

As far as the ancestor connection goes, that's something I have a hard time wrapping my head around! lol. But I say good morning to them every morning in my little morning prayers.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 03, 2011, 10:33:15 pm »

I've been trying to formulate a response to this, but honestly, everyone's are so good and you're all expressing what I feel as well! Smiley

Bravery, humor, the natural world. Relationships, action, and a gift for a gift. All things I love about this path and these gods.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)