The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 26, 2020, 11:35:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 11:35:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Move to ecauldron.com begins (Cauldron 4.0 Project)  (Read 6768 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 01, 2011, 05:26:19 pm »

If you've been following the discussion on Cauldron 4.0, you probably know that we have decided to just leave at the material on TC's current www.ecauldron.net web site as it is (instead of trying -- and failing again -- to rewrite thousands of pages with modern HTML) and move the site to www.ecauldron.com. New material will go on www.ecauldron.com in modern HTML and the new ecauldron.com hopmepage will unite the sites by linking to material on both the old .net site and the new .com site.

The new Cauldron home page is up at http://www.ecauldron.com/ (and the old ecauldron.net homepage redirects to it).  It's a start.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 01, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »

The new Cauldron home page is up at http://www.ecauldron.com/ (and the old ecauldron.net homepage redirects to it).  It's a start.

Looks good!

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Wood Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 12:19:33 am

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 01, 2011, 07:33:52 pm »

If you've been following the discussion on Cauldron 4.0, you probably know that we have decided to just leave at the material on TC's current www.ecauldron.net web site as it is (instead of trying -- and failing again -- to rewrite thousands of pages with modern HTML) and move the site to www.ecauldron.com. New material will go on www.ecauldron.com in modern HTML and the new ecauldron.com hopmepage will unite the sites by linking to material on both the old .net site and the new .com site.

The new Cauldron home page is up at http://www.ecauldron.com/ (and the old ecauldron.net homepage redirects to it).  It's a start.

The new site is beautiful. The adds by google that pop up that I can't close, block the text and bog down my computer not so good. Do you know how to shut the adds down, there is not the usual X to get rid of them.

Edited because I can't spell today.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:39:43 pm by Wood Rose » Logged
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 01, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »

The new site is beautiful. The adds by google that pop up that I can't close, block the text and bog down my computer not so good. Do you know how to shut the adds down, there is not the usual X to get rid of them.

Edited because I can't spell today.
Thanks.

I am not getting any pop up ads. I am using Firefox.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 01, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »

I am not getting any pop up ads. I am using Firefox.

I'm not getting any either and I'm using Google Chrome.

(BTW: the new site looks good, Randall.)

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 01, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

I'm not sure what ads you are talking about. There are no popups or pop-overs. There are (currently) three google ads: one in the left sidebar, two at the top under the menu (one banner ad with a link ad right under it.  I suppose that if your screen is very small (or your font size very large) the ad in the sidebar might spill over into the main content. That's the danger of using modern HTML/CSS: without tables to rigidly fix columns in place it's possible for images to spill over into other areas if the screen size is too small. Of course, if you block ads with Adblock in Firefox or Chrome (or similar addons in other browsers, the ads all go away anyway.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 01, 2011, 11:15:45 pm »

So when do we get kicked off of the .net site? Or will we still be able to log in, just not post? (Mostly just wondering when I'll have to start moving PM's, or if I can get away with leaving them >.> )

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 05:12:01 am »

I am using Firefox.
Me too, but getting the same google adds WoodRose described. They even overlap with the side content. No idea how to close or block them.  Huh

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: June 02, 2011, 05:13:45 am »

(Mostly just wondering when I'll have to start moving PM's, or if I can get away with leaving them >.> )

*nods*
Wanted to ask that too.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 02, 2011, 05:19:26 am »

Of course, if you block ads with Adblock in Firefox or Chrome (or similar addons in other browsers, the ads all go away anyway.
Thanks, this works!

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 02, 2011, 07:54:41 am »

(Mostly just wondering when I'll have to start moving PM's, or if I can get away with leaving them >.> )

Thirded.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 02, 2011, 08:17:02 am »

So when do we get kicked off of the .net site? Or will we still be able to log in, just not post? (Mostly just wondering when I'll have to start moving PM's, or if I can get away with leaving them >.> )

I'm not really sure what you are asking.  The SITE part of ecauldron.net will remain -- that's the whole point. We get to leave the whole design in place while moving to a new design for new material. No need to try find the thousands of hours needed to manually rewrite thousands of pages. Once the board moves to vBulletin on ecauldron.com, certain features of the old site on ecauldron net will go away (like the ability to log into the board on some pages of the ecauldron.net site).

If you are asking about the board. We have not yet decided if we will try to import messages from this board to the new board or if we will just leave this board up (but prevent new messages from being posted -- current members would likely be able to log in but new members would not be accepted) and start fresh on the new board. I'm not sure why you would want to move PMs in either case, but am willing to be enlightened. Smiley

Randall
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 02, 2011, 08:27:37 am »

I'm not really sure what you are asking.  The SITE part of ecauldron.net will remain -- that's the whole point. We get to leave the I'm not sure why you would want to move PMs in either case, but am willing to be enlightened. Smiley

There is a lot of information in my PMs that I don't want to lose. I don't expect them to be moved over to the new site, but I wonder if I should move them (copy them) to my computer, or if I will still be able to see them once the new site is in place.

I was assuming that if we are moving to a whole new forum software, we'd be starting all over with new PM boxes.

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 02, 2011, 08:30:05 am »

I was assuming that if we are moving to a whole new forum software, we'd be starting all over with new PM boxes.

I'm perfectly happy to copy the messages to my computer, by the way, I just want to make sure I have it done before we switch to the new forum software, so I don't lose them.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 02, 2011, 08:32:14 am »

There is a lot of information in my PMs that I don't want to lose. I don't expect them to be moved over to the new site, but I wonder if I should move them (copy them) to my computer, or if I will still be able to see them once the new site is in place.

I don't know if the import software imports PMs from SMF boards. I haven't yet had a chance to try it at all.  If we leave the current board up, you would still be able to get to your PMs.  However, if they are important, I think it is always a good idea to have copies on your own system.

If we do not import the SMF board, definitely.  IF we do import the board -- I don't know yet.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)