The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 03:55:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 03:55:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: God of Chaos  (Read 5217 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 01, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »

I have been thinking a lot about Set lately. For a long time it was in a 'stay off his radar' kind of way. But today I began to think about his role in kicking people in the rear and getting them to do the things they need to do. And I was thinking about the things that I don't like doing, but feel really accomplished when they're done.

As stupid as it sounds, one of these things is mowing the grass. I don't like it, and after the monsoon's we've been getting lately, my backyard was a jungle. I was not looking forward to cutting it with my electric mower, and was plotting ways to get out of it.

Instead I decided to quit my bitching and do the job that is mine to do. So I did. While cutting, I thought to myself, "although I've had no actual interaction with him, I will thank Set for the motivation to do this task. I have beer in the fridge". As I was thinking this, I made contact between the metal handles of the mower and the metal pole that supports our satellite dish. The mower died and I had to reset the plug. (Thankfully I didn't get shocked, which has happened in the past with wet grass.) I finished mowing, came inside, cleaned up, and gave Set his beer.

An hour later, my husband went to turn on the tv, and the satellite won't work!  Cheesy Perhaps it is just a coincidence (though I've never done this before in 5 years of living here), but in regards to the God of chaos, I find it amusing all the same.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tiki
Journeyman
Last Login:June 02, 2013, 12:05:10 pm

Religion: Discordian

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 01, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »

I have been thinking a lot about Set lately. For a long time it was in a 'stay off his radar' kind of way. But today I began to think about his role in kicking people in the rear and getting them to do the things they need to do. And I was thinking about the things that I don't like doing, but feel really accomplished when they're done.

As stupid as it sounds, one of these things is mowing the grass. I don't like it, and after the monsoon's we've been getting lately, my backyard was a jungle. I was not looking forward to cutting it with my electric mower, and was plotting ways to get out of it.

Instead I decided to quit my bitching and do the job that is mine to do. So I did. While cutting, I thought to myself, "although I've had no actual interaction with him, I will thank Set for the motivation to do this task. I have beer in the fridge". As I was thinking this, I made contact between the metal handles of the mower and the metal pole that supports our satellite dish. The mower died and I had to reset the plug. (Thankfully I didn't get shocked, which has happened in the past with wet grass.) I finished mowing, came inside, cleaned up, and gave Set his beer.

An hour later, my husband went to turn on the tv, and the satellite won't work!  Cheesy Perhaps it is just a coincidence (though I've never done this before in 5 years of living here), but in regards to the God of chaos, I find it amusing all the same.

I've never researched Set, but I wonder whether/how Set corresponds with Eris?
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 02, 2011, 10:25:00 am »

I have been thinking a lot about Set lately. For a long time it was in a 'stay off his radar' kind of way. But today I began to think about his role in kicking people in the rear and getting them to do the things they need to do.

Or to actively decide not to do them.  Himself is all about (IME, anyway), "Do this...or don't do this...but make an informed choice!"

While cutting, I thought to myself, "although I've had no actual interaction with him, I will thank Set for the motivation to do this task. I have beer in the fridge". As I was thinking this, I made contact between the metal handles of the mower and the metal pole that supports our satellite dish. The mower died and I had to reset the plug. (Thankfully I didn't get shocked, which has happened in the past with wet grass.) I finished mowing, came inside, cleaned up, and gave Set his beer.

Hmmm...shock strong enough to break the dish doesn't hit you?  Divine intervention, anyone?  Grin

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 02, 2011, 10:47:17 am »

Hmmm...shock strong enough to break the dish doesn't hit you?  Divine intervention, anyone?  Grin

Perhaps I owe another beer.  Grin

Helmsman_of_Inepu
Master Member
Last Login:May 28, 2012, 07:22:37 am

Religion: Kemetic Reconnaissance, Flamekeeping

Blog entries (0)

Helmsman Of-Inepu

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 02, 2011, 12:34:05 pm »

But today I began to think about his role in kicking people in the rear and getting them to do the things they need to do.

Though there's a difference between 'kicking people in the rear', and just plain messing with you. Or taking on the role of an abusive coach. Some people have the mental wiring to respond to that, and do. Others do not. And it's not just "you need a bigger push". That's like saying "If I feed you enough peanuts, you'll get over your allergy."

Kemetic Writers Group - Fiction and Poetry - Join! Create! Have fun!
Kemetic Reconnaissance blog.
Adding in a bit of Flamekeeping too. (dark flame, bright flame)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 02, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »

Though there's a difference between 'kicking people in the rear', and just plain messing with you. Or taking on the role of an abusive coach. Some people have the mental wiring to respond to that, and do. Others do not. And it's not just "you need a bigger push". That's like saying "If I feed you enough peanuts, you'll get over your allergy."

There are times that one of the things I'm supposed to be doing as His minion is finding a way to get people to act appropriately who aren't amenable to hearing His more direct influences.  Basically, act as a translation filter.

ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 03, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »

Set, is my main God.  He certainly is interesting.  [I didn't choose him, he chose me]. I'm glad you didn't get shocked. 

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 03, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

There are times that one of the things I'm supposed to be doing as His minion is finding a way to get people to act appropriately who aren't amenable to hearing His more direct influences.  Basically, act as a translation filter.

Does this happen often? Can you share any of the stories? (With, of course, name changes to protect the innocent.)

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 03, 2011, 06:04:45 pm »

I'm glad you didn't get shocked. 

Me too. Turns out the dish's power supply got fried.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 03, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

Does this happen often? Can you share any of the stories? (With, of course, name changes to protect the innocent.)

The low-level parts of it happen all the time.  Think of any post in which I have verbally grabbed someone by the collar, given them a good shake, and aimed them in a different direction - that was the Set priest-in-training.  (I actually can't remember the one where I commented to someone in chat that that was precisely what had been going on in a particular post.)

In the mid-range, I have the option of doing more focused stuff for people, based on my own inspiration and His guidance.  This has not happened as of yet.  (The closest I've come is offering, being turned down, and getting a clear statement from Him that I Am Not Permitted To Ever Offer Again.)

The most extensive stuff has to do with my partnership with my Celt.  When he was putting together his rite of passage ritual, I was tapped (by both him and Neb.y) to serve as the Master of the Challenge - the person who was responsible for tracking his flaws, checking them against his standards, and requiring him to face up to them.  It was hard; I wanted to be the fluffy happy go-you person rather than the "You.  On the floor.  Give me ten push-ups" person.  This job has not ended after the ritual; it has transformed in various ways.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)