The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2022, 09:59:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2022, 09:59:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is just incense OK for a offering to the gods?  (Read 14143 times)
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 06, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

They partake of its SPIRITAL energy. Spiritual energy is embued into it by the magician, its not an inherent property of the offering.

I actually do believe my offerings have vital Ka energy as an inherant property, just by virtue of having come from living things Smiley
Of course, saying prayers, blessings or spells over said offerings certainly doesn't hurt.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hella Jeff
Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2011, 01:18:56 am

Religion: Stoicism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 06, 2011, 02:59:57 pm »

it's the thought that counts?

Thought =/= Energy.
But,

Energy = Thought.

Make sense?

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 06, 2011, 03:08:31 pm »

Thought =/= Energy.
But,

Energy = Thought.

Make sense?

No. Can you explain your reasoning?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 06, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

They partake of its SPIRITAL energy. Spiritual energy is embued into it by the magician, its not an inherent property of the offering.

I would disagree on it being spiritual energy.  Through sacrifice the essence of a thing is transmuted into a form usable by divinity.  In most Greek practices it is the physical transformation that occurs when a libation is poured or an offering is burnt.  In Egyptian the sacrifice and transmutation is more symbolic and the offering is then eaten by those who make the offering.

But I also disagree that it is embud by the magician or practioner for the essence is in a thing from creation.  The destruction via transmutation simply releases that essence back into the universe to be used again.

Oh course this is my own belief based upon my knowledge of Greek and Egyptian offering practices and the Shamanic influences of my family tradition.
Igor
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 12:15:23 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 06, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »

Hi, just a quick question. I dont really have much in the way of food or drink that I can offer the gods and goddesses (it will be that way for the foreseeable future) so is incense or even just lighting a scented candle just on it's own a suitable offering for a Norse or Celtic god or goddess?

I suppose I would take an empirical viewpoint on this question.
Try it, and see what happens. Perhaps perform the same ritual with and without food/drink and compare results!

How can a Deity go on a diet? 
They partake of a food's energy, not its calories.   Huh

Sorry, but the physicist in me just had to respond to this!
Calories are just units of energy. So there's no distinction between the two.

"Surely it is more interesting to argue about what the truth is, than about what some particular thinker, however great, did or did not think."
-David Deutsch
Gelfling
Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2012, 12:23:19 pm

Religion: in transition

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 06, 2011, 03:51:55 pm »

Thought =/= Energy.
But,

Energy = Thought.

Make sense?

Only to a programmer, and only if you mean that Thought and Energy are not equal, but the thing that the variable named Thought represents is assigned to the variable named Energy when, er, the code is run.  I suppose if I were to translate the metaphor, it would be that, at the moment of the sacrifice, one's thoughts either become or flavor the energy which is offered up to the deity.

Which doesn't really seem very far from "It's the thought that counts" if you go with the 'become' interpretation.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 08, 2011, 02:27:40 am »

In all seriousness, what would you interpret as being a complaint? I ask because I often see/hear pagans say something similar to this and always find myself wondering what they would count as a complaint, because I assume you aren't expecting a phone call, card or sternly worded letter or sudden talking to from a passing cloud Wink It's just that I've never been clear on what people do mean when they say things like this. TIA.

Well, there was that narky e-mail I got a few weeks ago..  Cheesy

Sorry, I'll be serious now.
I know I once didn't offer properly, and I got this feeling that the offering wasn't being taken, or that they were expecting something, and then I got this nudge, like Manannan was saying "I think you forgot something".
As for other complaints, I think they tend to make it known to you in the same way that you know you're being paid attention to.  You just know it.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 08, 2011, 02:32:33 am »

I know I once didn't offer properly, and I got this feeling that the offering wasn't being taken, or that they were expecting something, and then I got this nudge, like Manannan was saying "I think you forgot something".
As for other complaints, I think they tend to make it known to you in the same way that you know you're being paid attention to.  You just know it.

I'm learning to figure this out, too. In ADF rituals there's a point where we take an Omen - I use either Tarot or various Oracle cards - to see if our offering was accepted and what we would get in return. I've gotten some negative responses - generally along the lines of "your heart isn't really in this, kid" or "sorry, you're expecting what in return for weeks of radio silence?" I also sometimes get a nagging feeling, but that can be hard to distinguish between the "I can't feel anyone paying attention" I get sometimes.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 18, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »

Hi, just a quick question. I dont really have much in the way of food or drink that I can offer the gods and goddesses (it will be that way for the foreseeable future) so is incense or even just lighting a scented candle just on it's own a suitable offering for a Norse or Celtic god or goddess?

Hi Vymir,

I think the gods and goddesses understand that sometimes we can't give them much by way of offerings, that said, other people have made some great suggestions. I've also heard of service offerings, although they are certainly time consuming. Many people donate to causes (for instance, making a donation to a cat shelter if Freya's important to them). I would say do what you can, not everyone has the time to volunteer or the money to donate, and sometimes even if you do, other factors would make it difficult to do so (I can't work with most animals due to my allergies). It's a small thing, but I started a group on PaganSpace for Vanatruar as an offering of sorts. I don't think you need to work to "spread the faith" so to speak, but speak about the gods, educate people, words and deeds can be offerings too.

I also agree with those who are advising you to take a more Do-It-Yourself approach. Nothing says: "I'm thinking of you" like something you made yourself, and I think the Norse gods especially appreciate it when one of their followers takes the time to make them something special. I think Freya might appreciate a bawdy song or a love poem that's written in her honour, but try different things and see what works for you. 
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 20, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »

In all seriousness, what would you interpret as being a complaint?

For me, it tends to come through as a variant of my (mild)ocd:  Once, when I was baing lazy, it was a sense of "I'm waiting."  Another time it was, "It'll do.  Barely."

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 20, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

In all seriousness, what would you interpret as being a complaint? I ask because I often see/hear pagans say something similar to this and always find myself wondering what they would count as a complaint, because I assume you aren't expecting a phone call, card or sternly worded letter or sudden talking to from a passing cloud Wink It's just that I've never been clear on what people do mean when they say things like this. TIA.
In my case, the one clear 'complaint' I believe I've had manifested as an anxiety, or sense of 'wrongness,' rising out of nowhere and growing stronger in the back of my mind as I went through a ritual. 

In this case it wasn't related to what was being offered.  I was just learning how to approach my gods (still am) and trying different things.  I had no idea going in that anything would be problematic, so I doubt the feeling originated with me.  I interpreted it as a very clear, "we don't do things that way."  (Later study backed up this interpretation.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)