The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2020, 07:35:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 07:35:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When the multiverse and many-worlds collide  (Read 11148 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 03, 2011, 04:34:49 am »

I may be missing something, because I don't see how it's possible to control an infinite number of me's across the universe without essentially being God. Or why on earth you'd be responsible for the choices of yourself in another universe, or why they're all considered the same 'you'.

An infinity of other Universes haven't been running parallel since the beginning of time! Think of it like a tree. One started. There was a random event. Both happened; the universe split into two. All the way to you. Everytime you make a decision, the universe splits and there is now an EXTRA Ellen, who's life and yours was one but who is now separate from you because she is a product of the opposite decision.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 03, 2011, 07:54:15 am »

An infinity of other Universes haven't been running parallel since the beginning of time! Think of it like a tree. One started. There was a random event. Both happened; the universe split into two. All the way to you. Everytime you make a decision, the universe splits and there is now an EXTRA Ellen, who's life and yours was one but who is now separate from you because she is a product of the opposite decision.

If that's how the multiverse works, then I can see where you're coming from.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 03, 2011, 07:56:32 am »

This article has convinced me of something I have suspected all along. I have no idea about physics and the very thought of  parallel universes makes my head hurt.

Both the multiverse and the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics can make physicists' heads hurt. Combining them just makes the headache worse. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 03, 2011, 07:59:23 am »

This article has convinced me of something I have suspected all along. I have no idea about physics and the very thought of  parallel universes makes my head hurt.

I have a very slight, layman's idea about physics, and it makes my brain hurt.

The one layman's crazy idea I have to contribute is where the article says "one remaining question is how information can leak from a causal patch, a supposedly self-contained volume of the multiverse."

My crazy answer: Black holes (tears in the fabric of space from superdense gravity sources like a giant dying star). As I understand it, one of the laws of physics is that information can't be lost from the universe; you can burn a piece of paper with info written on it, but theoretically you could monitor the smoke and ash, the patterns of its wafting and crumbling, and reconstruct what the paper said. But black holes blow that wide open, because anything that falls into a black hole can't be retrieved (light, for example, which is why it's a black hole)--so whatever information you could've reconstructed is lost once something is sucked down the black hole. This violates that fundamental law of physics.

So what if black holes are how information can leak from a causal patch? That would explain the universe's decoherence, while also providing the loophole to that fundamental law of physics (the info isn't lost if you take a multiverse perspective instead of a universe perspective).

I'm talking completely out of my ass here.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 03, 2011, 08:14:58 am »

My crazy answer: Black holes (tears in the fabric of space from superdense gravity sources like a giant dying star). As I understand it, one of the laws of physics is that information can't be lost from the universe; you can burn a piece of paper with info written on it, but theoretically you could monitor the smoke and ash, the patterns of its wafting and crumbling, and reconstruct what the paper said. But black holes blow that wide open, because anything that falls into a black hole can't be retrieved (light, for example, which is why it's a black hole)--so whatever information you could've reconstructed is lost once something is sucked down the black hole. This violates that fundamental law of physics.

According to current theories this isn't quite true. Black holes don't last forever. Quantum mechanics says they lose the material and information they have locked inside their event horizon via Hawking radiation. Even the largest black holes will evaporate given enough time.

So what if black holes are how information can leak from a causal patch? That would explain the universe's decoherence, while also providing the loophole to that fundamental law of physics (the info isn't lost if you take a multiverse perspective instead of a universe perspective).

As we have never seen a black hole actually evaporate, my comments above might be incorrect. If so, your ideas could be true.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #20: June 03, 2011, 10:01:59 am »

Both the multiverse and the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics can make physicists' heads hurt. Combining them just makes the headache worse. Smiley

Now I start being afraid, because my head's not hurting.  Cheesy
It just all makes sense.

But then, I'm not a physicist.  Wink
And I accept the fact, that I can never know really what's the deal.  Grin

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 03, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

According to current theories this isn't quite true. Black holes don't last forever. Quantum mechanics says they lose the material and information they have locked inside their event horizon via Hawking radiation. Even the largest black holes will evaporate given enough time.

Oh well. So much for that theory.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: June 03, 2011, 04:27:51 pm »

Oh well. So much for that theory.

Opps. It seems I was partially wrong: they are still arguing on whether or not black holes eventually give back the information as well as the mass.  Sorry about the misinfo.

Randall
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 03, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

...whatever information you could've reconstructed is lost once something is sucked down the black hole. This violates that fundamental law of physics.

The information isn't really lost to the universe, it's just inaccessible (by any currently-known means) from the portion of the universe that's outside of the black hole. You could think of it (loosely) like having stuff inside a room that can be entered, but never left, in your house. The stuff's still in there, but you can't go in and get it and then come back to what you were doing and you're not sure what state it's in (it could be going mouldy, or being eaten by rats and silverfish). You could go in and check and sit around and play with your stuff (if it's still in a fit state to be played with), but you can't come back out and tell anyone what's going down in there. Main point is that it's still in your house, you still have it, but it's only accessible if you're in the room with it.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 03, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »

Except that it isn't nice tidy, binary splits; ity's more like smashing a mirror at every point where more than one thing is possible under the prevailing conditions and there is no single, right version. Every version is fracturing all the time and the only thing you can be sure that the one you have experienced has as a point of cohession is the fact of your experience. Bassically, what makes this universe 'special' is nothing beside the fact that you remember it.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 03, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »

I may be missing something, because I don't see how it's possible to control an infinite number of me's across the universe without essentially being God. Or why on earth you'd be responsible for the choices of yourself in another universe, or why they're all considered the same 'you'.

I think the point being made was that at any given point that you experienced as a choice there actually wasn't a choice, because the you (at that instant) chose every possible alternative. Each alternative spawned a new universe in which there is a version of you (assuming a non-lethal choice) who remembers making only the choice that their universe is founded on, just as you remember choosing only a single outcome.

BGMarc at the Pub
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: June 04, 2011, 05:48:15 am »

The information isn't really lost to the universe, it's just inaccessible (by any currently-known means) from the portion of the universe that's outside of the black hole. You could think of it (loosely) like having stuff inside a room that can be entered, but never left, in your house. The stuff's still in there, but you can't go in and get it and then come back to what you were doing and you're not sure what state it's in (it could be going mouldy, or being eaten by rats and silverfish). You could go in and check and sit around and play with your stuff (if it's still in a fit state to be played with), but you can't come back out and tell anyone what's going down in there. Main point is that it's still in your house, you still have it, but it's only accessible if you're in the room with it.
Hmm, that's a whole lot like my protein 'puter's WOM* (write-only memory) Cheesy.

(*Coinage cred to my bud J. Random Catholic.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 04, 2011, 06:31:48 am »

Except that it isn't nice tidy, binary splits; ity's more like smashing a mirror at every point where more than one thing is possible under the prevailing conditions and there is no single, right version. Every version is fracturing all the time and the only thing you can be sure that the one you have experienced has as a point of cohession is the fact of your experience. Bassically, what makes this universe 'special' is nothing beside the fact that you remember it.

Ha yes of course you're right. I was going more for 'simple'. ^_^

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
victoreia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2011, 01:19:43 am

Religion: pagan (still searching)

Gravatar

Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 04, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »

Sort of like Jupiter's Great Red Spot?

As we have never seen a black hole actually evaporate, my comments above might be incorrect. If so, your ideas could be true.

Either way, none of us will be around when it happens. (At least, in these incarnations....) Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:21:05 pm by RandallS, Reason: Quote BBCode Fixed » Logged
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 05, 2011, 07:25:29 am »

Opps. It seems I was partially wrong: they are still arguing on whether or not black holes eventually give back the information as well as the mass.  Sorry about the misinfo.

A glimmer of hope for the theory persists! Yeah, I seem to recall Hawking making a bet with another physicist about what's really happening with the info going down black holes...suggesting that the debate is still on.

Another theory about black holes and a possible multiverse (I remember reading about this in layman's terms years ago) suggested that all the matter pouring down a black hole may actually form a new pocket universe; that in fact, our own universe may be the pocket universe of another universe, spawned by a black hole in that universe; and that effectively black holes may be the mechanism by which universes "procreate", and one could build a whole genealogical tree of universes...except that there's no way of communicating from one to the next and thus no way to prove the existence of these other parent-child universes and therefore no way to prove the theory.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)