The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 01:46:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 01:46:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Forced Quoting  (Read 37481 times)
Doom Monkey
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 01:24:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Apathetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 02, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »

I don't understand why you are forced to quote the response before you whether or not you are replying to them directly.  I mean if I am just adding my thoughts to the conversation in general it doesn't make sense to quote anyone. 

Is there a reasoning behind this being a forced issue?

Some days you get the bear and some days he eats you.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 02, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »

I don't understand why you are forced to quote the response before you whether or not you are replying to them directly.  I mean if I am just adding my thoughts to the conversation in general it doesn't make sense to quote anyone. 

It makes it easier to follow conversations. It's part of board culture; you'll get used to the habit after awhile.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 02, 2011, 05:18:37 pm »

1. It's in the rules, therefore to follow them we must do it.

2. While it was weird to get used to initially it's quite useful, for one it insures that a respondent has at least cursorily read a previous response and is not making a knee jerk reply, it is also useful to parse a point or comment from an overall statement when asking for clarification etc. You'll get used to it over time Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 02, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »

In addition to what Ellen and Asch said, the incarnation of the board prior to its current one automatically linked back to whichever post someone was replying to.  Since SMF didn't have that feature, we instituted mandatory quoting because it was the closest way to replicate the feature.

I would rather have the quoting rule in place than getting rid of it.  I have seen flamewars on other forums that could have easily been prevented if someone quoted.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 02, 2011, 05:28:13 pm »

I don't understand why you are forced to quote the response before you whether or not you are replying to them directly. 

It works better for us because it is very clear what the response it to no matter when the original post was written or how long (for the reader) it has been since he say the message being replied to. It also makes it very easier for staff to trace through threads to see exactly who needs to be punished if personal attacks or the like occur.

For even more info on this read every post in this thread: ADMIN: Using the Quote Button.

This quoting rule is alien to many new members, but without it the Hosts would shut the board down. The quotes it every message make it so much easier for the Hosts and staff (not to mention many members). New members usually adapt to it quickly -- or they leave for a forum ran more like they want.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: June 02, 2011, 05:29:21 pm »

You are not just being asked to quote the response before you.  In fact, that defeats the purpose if that is not the post you are answering.  If you are just adding your thoughts to the subject you should just quote the first post, or the post at which the topic changed to become the one you are adding your thoughts to.

This is a host-and-staff assisting measure.  When it becomes necessary to trace a part of a thread back to assess a complaint, using the linkbacks provided by the quote code makes that process quick and easy.  (as opposed to reading through a whole multi-page thread to find the connections, both making response time quicker for the complainant and for not wasting staff time)

The software we started out on made this automatic and we like the utility of it.  It also means that you do not have to read through an entire thread before responding to a specific point.  The quote will show where you are coming in.

Plus - it's in the rules.  You agreed to them.  We like it this way.

Marilyn
Board Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: June 02, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »

6:23, 6:28, 6:29 - guess the software didn't have time to warn about new posts ahead of mine.  Staff pile-on! Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »

6:23, 6:28, 6:29 - guess the software didn't have time to warn about new posts ahead of mine.  Staff pile-on! Cheesy

This issue ALWAYS causes this type of effect.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
NyteShaed
Journeyman
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 02, 2011, 07:12:47 pm »

1. It's in the rules, therefore to follow them we must do it.

2. While it was weird to get used to initially it's quite useful, for one it insures that a respondent has at least cursorily read a previous response and is not making a knee jerk reply, it is also useful to parse a point or comment from an overall statement when asking for clarification etc. You'll get used to it over time Smiley

I like part one.  This forum has a lot of rules.  So long as we are careful to follow all of them, it's almost like we don't have to think at all!
marshamarshamarsha
Apprentice
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 06:15:21 pm

Religion: eccletic

don't play nice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 02, 2011, 08:13:40 pm »

I like part one.  This forum has a lot of rules.  So long as we are careful to follow all of them, it's almost like we don't have to think at all!
Isn't that wonderful? So much easier than figuring things out yourself!

NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 02, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »

Isn't that wonderful? So much easier than figuring things out yourself!

It's a huge relief honestly.  TCC (the last pagan forum I was on) had so few rules, and they kept changing.  I think I'll like this place much better.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 02, 2011, 08:20:56 pm »

If you do not like this board or it's rules you are free to go elsewhere. There are probably hundreds of other Pagan boards on the Internet you can try. And if none of those suit you, you can always start your own board and set whatever rules you want. But while you are here, please read and follow our rules.

There's no need to be snarky about them. The Hosts and staff here do not care whether or not you like this board's rules. Liking them is not a requirement. Following them is. Smiley

Thank you.

Randall
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 02, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »

If you do not like this board or it's rules you are free to go elsewhere. There are probably hundreds of other Pagan boards on the Internet you can try. And if none of those suit you, you can always start your own board and set whatever rules you want. But while you are here, please read and follow our rules.

There's no need to be snarky about them. The Hosts and staff here do not care whether or not you like this board's rules. Liking them is not a requirement. Following them is. Smiley

Thank you.

You're being awfully rude, which is against the rules.

I said that I like the rules.  Of course I am going to follow them, who wouldn't follow rules they like?
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 02, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »

You're being awfully rude, which is against the rules.

*** MOD HAT ON ***So is trying to mod other members when you are not staff.  Consider this your first official warning.

Melamphoros,
TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 02, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »

[modbreak]
So is trying to mod other members when you are not staff.  Consider this your first official warning.

Melamphoros,
TC Board Staff
[/modbreak]

Now you are making unfounded accusations, which is also against the rules.

I wasn't trying to mod anyone, besides as far as I can tell that guy wrote the rules, so I am assuming he's the big boss mod.  Trying to mod the big boss mod would be really silly.

The rules are really really long, and I just read them, I figure he's been here since the site was started so it may have been a long time since he read them and he might have forgot.

Next time someone is rude would it be better for me to PM a mod?  I don't want to get in trouble.

Should I PM a mod any time anyone breaks a rule?  Or should I just ignore it and wait for a mod to notice?

I read through all the rules to try to figure out the most appropriate thing to do in that sort of situation, and I didn't find anything, but I may have missed something.  I got a little sleepy somewhere in the middle.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)