The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 06, 2022, 01:03:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2022, 01:03:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Forced Quoting  (Read 65816 times)
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: June 02, 2011, 08:37:14 pm »

Now you are making unfounded accusations, which is also against the rules.

I wasn't trying to mod anyone, besides as far as I can tell that guy wrote the rules, so I am assuming he's the big boss mod.  Trying to mod the big boss mod would be really silly.

The rules are really really long, and I just read them, I figure he's been here since the site was started so it may have been a long time since he read them and he might have forgot.

Next time someone is rude would it be better for me to PM a mod?  I don't want to get in trouble.

Should I PM a mod any time anyone breaks a rule?  Or should I just ignore it and wait for a mod to notice?

I read through all the rules to try to figure out the most appropriate thing to do in that sort of situation, and I didn't find anything, but I may have missed something.  I got a little sleepy somewhere in the middle.

*** MOD HAT ON ***Arguing a mod call in public is also against the rules. This is your second warning.

Go reread the rules NOW.

Celtee, Cauldron staff

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NyteShaed
Journeyman
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 02, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

[modbreak]
Arguing a mod call in public is also against the rules. This is your second warning.

Go reread the rules NOW.

Celtee, Cauldron staff
[/modbreak]

Ok,  I'm not arguing, but could one of you answer my question?

There's like 30 pages of rules and I already dug through them looking for the answer and if I missed it I'd really rather not dig through them all again to find it.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 02, 2011, 08:42:39 pm »

Next time someone is rude would it be better for me to PM a mod?  I don't want to get in trouble.

Should I PM a mod any time anyone breaks a rule?  Or should I just ignore it and wait for a mod to notice?

If you feel a post is in violation of the rules there is a link 'report to moderator' in the bottom right hand corner of every post. Click that and that's all you need to do.

I myself have never felt the need to click that link. The mods are very fast to notice such things; they do their job well.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: June 02, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

In the bottom right hand corner of the post you have issues with is a "report to moderator" button. It is through this button that you can let the staff know there is a potential issue.

HOWEVER, if you report every little thing you have issue with, you WILL BE banned for being rude and annoying for wasting staff time if we have to wade through a bunch of unfounded reports.

Celtee, Cauldron staff

P.S. This is NOT an official warning; it is an answer to your question.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 02, 2011, 08:45:24 pm »

If you feel a post is in violation of the rules there is a link 'report to moderator' in the bottom right hand corner of every post. Click that and that's all you need to do.

I myself have never felt the need to click that link. The mods are very fast to notice such things; they do their job well.

It's against the rules to criticize them, so I won't say anything about that second part. 

I also see that Celtee answered my question.  Thank you.  I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the unofficial warning too, although I didn't see excessive reporting mentioned in the 30 pages of rules.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 02, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »

HOST HAT ONWhile FierFlye is correct, I probably need to add that reporting a Host or Staff member for "being rude" or the like on a post where they put a mod hat on or are explaining the rules will likely earn the person doing it a permanent ban.

By the way, I'm one of the Co-Hosts and none of the posts you claim are being rude to you are being rude to you. You are the one being rude and annoying by breaking the rules and then arguing with staff members who do their job and point that out to you. End of Discussion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 02, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »

[modbreak=HOST HAT ON]
While FierFlye is correct, I probably need to add that reporting a Host or Staff member for "being rude" or the like on a post where they put a mod hat on or are explaining the rules will likely earn the person doing it a permanent ban.

By the way, I'm one of the Co-Hosts and none of the posts you claim are being rude to you are being rude to you. You are the one being rude and annoying by breaking the rules and then arguing with staff members who do their job and point that out to you. End of Discussion.
[/modbreak]

Thank you for making that clear.  I definitely got a between the lines feeling that reporting mods was against the rules but I am glad to see it stated clearly by a co-host.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 02, 2011, 08:54:51 pm »

Thank you for making that clear.  I definitely got a between the lines feeling that reporting mods was against the rules but I am glad to see it stated clearly by a co-host.

If you have a question etc in future it might be wiser to simply PM a member of staff rather than cause a ruckus and rack up official warnings. Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 02, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »

If you have a question etc in future it might be wiser to simply PM a member of staff rather than cause a ruckus and rack up official warnings. Smiley

I figured if I ask publically then anyone else who reads the thread who might have the same question will also be able to see the answer.

Plus sending a bunch of PM's would be annoying.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: June 02, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »

I wasn't trying to mod anyone,

For clarification:  We consider telling people that what they're doing is against the rules to be an attempt to moderate them.  If someone needs reminded of the rules, that's the moderators' job, not yours.

We know that there are a lot of rules, and we're generally willing to explain or clarify if necessary--but I would point out that the attitude you're taking here, that they're too long to bother with, is not likely to make anyone feel particularly helpful.  Every one of those rules is there for a reason.  This is how we've run this place for 13 years now, and most people don't seem to have a problem with following them.  If you don't like that there's so much to read and remember, maybe this isn't the place for you.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: June 02, 2011, 08:59:20 pm »

Thank you for making that clear.  I definitely got a between the lines feeling that reporting mods was against the rules but I am glad to see it stated clearly by a co-host.

Reporting mods is not against the rules.  What Randall's saying is that reporting a post in which a moderator is moderating you or anyone else will be considered sufficiently rude and annoying that you will no longer be welcome here.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
NyteShaed
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 02, 2011, 09:18:25 pm »

For clarification:  We consider telling people that what they're doing is against the rules to be an attempt to moderate them.  If someone needs reminded of the rules, that's the moderators' job, not yours.

We know that there are a lot of rules, and we're generally willing to explain or clarify if necessary--but I would point out that the attitude you're taking here, that they're too long to bother with, is not likely to make anyone feel particularly helpful.  Every one of those rules is there for a reason.  This is how we've run this place for 13 years now, and most people don't seem to have a problem with following them.  If you don't like that there's so much to read and remember, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Thank you for the clarification that mods can be reported so long as they don't have their mod hat on.

I wasn't complaining about the 30 pages of rules.  I like them, that's what I said in my first post on the topic, that's what I repeated when Randall gave me trouble about my first post, and that is what I am still saying.

Reading through them all trying to find particular things does take a while and I am grateful for you folks, who have undoubtedly read through them many more time than I have, being willing to point out and explain the things I have missed or misinterpreted.
Jubes
Journeyman
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:34:54 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 02, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »

Is there a reasoning behind this being a forced issue?

Well for  one  because it's easier to  answer  questions. I read the whole thread and  I really only want to  answer this  question with my thoughts, so I  quote your  post  and  attempt to  answer your  question.

When  I first  joined the board I thought that  was  kind of a funny rule  myself but  over time I see how  nicely it works out on such a busy  board. If a  person  only  wants to respond to  a certain  post/statement/ question etc  they  can  easily  quote that  post and give their  thoughts. It is  much less confusing than having to go  back  to the OP ( original post)  and  try  to figure  out  exactly what someone  on  page 33  is  talking about. I don't  know  I  kind of like the whole  quote thing myself as it does  save on a lot  of  off topic  posting in a thread.  Grin

Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: June 03, 2011, 03:22:15 am »

I read through all the rules to try to figure out the most appropriate thing to do in that sort of situation, and I didn't find anything, but I may have missed something.
And to answer it about this specific situation - if someone reads your post as being snarky but you weren't being snarky, you'd do better to respond by saying, "I wasn't being snarky," than by talking about how rude they are.  The latter comes across as telling other people how to post (which is a rules violation), especially since taking issue with what someone has said is not a rules violation (nor is it considered "rude" on TC, since we're a debate and discussion board, not a fellowship board).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tiki
Journeyman
Last Login:June 02, 2013, 12:05:10 pm

Religion: Discordian

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 03, 2011, 09:34:03 am »

1. It's in the rules, therefore to follow them we must do it.

2. While it was weird to get used to initially it's quite useful, for one it insures that a respondent has at least cursorily read a previous response and is not making a knee jerk reply, it is also useful to parse a point or comment from an overall statement when asking for clarification etc. You'll get used to it over time Smiley

It's also in the rules that when making a general response to the gist of the thread, that you don't have to quote.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)