The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 01:05:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 01:05:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: witchcraft out of the shadows  (Read 4867 times)
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 02, 2011, 10:25:16 pm »

sorry if this book has already been posted about,but a word search didn't bring it up.
I have two questions about it.
first,is it any good?
second,does anyone have PDF or similar copies of the first chunk of it?
I found a webpage of the book but it merely listed the topic headings covered in each chapter and then led you to the link to buy it online.

I'm poor and only really care to read what they have to say regarding the early info on Hecate and if it's any more detailed or informative than what I've already gleaned from the Internet and history books.

please and thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ChaosRain
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 02:00:02 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 03, 2011, 12:18:24 am »

sorry if this book has already been posted about,but a word search didn't bring it up.
first,is it any good?
I found a webpage of the book but it merely listed the topic headings covered in each chapter and then led you to the link to buy it online.

I'm poor and only really care to read what they have to say regarding the early info on Hecate and if it's any more detailed or informative than what I've already gleaned from the Internet and history books.

please and thank you.

Out of the Shadows is a very good book, it was one of my first and kind of got me started on my path. First though, you'd be better off just saving up some money to buy it, or find a library or friend to borrow it from. It gives a brief overview of Hecate, but it doesn't really give any information on ritual callings or invo/evocations. It's not a spellbook and doesn't actually have a single spell in it. If you're looking for something of that nature you can easily find information online. However downloading ebooks without paying for them is illegal, and it's against forum policy and, well...the law (unless it's been specified by the author). I do know the author however and that's not something he would post for free access.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts
spoOk
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 03, 2011, 01:24:40 am »

Out of the Shadows is a very good book, it was one of my first and kind of got me started on my path. First though, you'd be better off just saving up some money to buy it, or find a library or friend to borrow it from. It gives a brief overview of Hecate, but it doesn't really give any information on ritual callings or invo/evocations. It's not a spellbook and doesn't actually have a single spell in it. If you're looking for something of that nature you can easily find information online. However downloading ebooks without paying for them is illegal, and it's against forum policy and, well...the law (unless it's been specified by the author). I do know the author however and that's not something he would post for free access.
ive never illegally downloaded any ebook. i didnt know you could.
ive downloaded free books and accessed google book searches that put up the contents to be read freely.
i havent accessed any book downloadshare sites....my fiance gets movies off the internet but yeah ...*shrug*
thanks for the info though.
i was mostly seeking any pre greek infos on her,but im begining to think ive gotten all there is to know in that area.

curiosity
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 12:14:50 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 03, 2011, 01:33:19 am »

first,is it any good?

please and thank you.

Haven't read it, but I recommend your local library. See if they participate in an inter-library loan program.

Or go to a bookstore and read it there. Tongue
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 03, 2011, 04:26:05 am »

first,is it any good?
If you're referring to this book by Leo Ruickbe, it also appears to have ten sample pages available, and various other excerpts like the index.

I'm not very impressed by his website overall - though he does seem to be a genuine academic in a relevant field, I get the sense of the focus being on him and the (ostensible) brilliance of his work, not on the work itself as a contribution to the overall field.  And, though I'm not seeing anything definitive, there are phrasings in the available excerpts of this book that suggest he's trying to shore up the largely-discredited idea of continuity/survival from ancient times.

While the info on Hecate may be fine, you probably won't find anything in this book that you won't find in more scholarly sources - a look at the index suggests that Theoi.com alone might well tell you as much or more.

If you're referring to another book (I found three others with similar titles, though this was the only one with the exact title you give in the subject line), an author name or a link would be helpful.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
ChaosRain
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 02:00:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 03, 2011, 11:39:54 am »

ive never illegally downloaded any ebook. i didnt know you could.
ive downloaded free books and accessed google book searches that put up the contents to be read freely.
i havent accessed any book downloadshare sites....my fiance gets movies off the internet but yeah ...*shrug*
thanks for the info though.
i was mostly seeking any pre greek infos on her,but im begining to think ive gotten all there is to know in that area.

My apologies, I was referring to "Out of the Shadows" by John J Coughlin. The other book might be available in ebook form, but my suggestion is still to try and find it from a friend or library first. But the book listed above does hold some useful information as well. If you've got a half price books near you, try looking there as well. It's as the name implies (half price) but you can usually find things there for less as well. Good luck in your search though. It's hard to find much of anything useful in ebook form.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts
spoOk
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 03, 2011, 02:26:54 pm »

If you're referring to this book by Leo Ruickbe, it also appears to have ten sample pages available, and various other excerpts like the index.

I'm not very impressed by his website overall - though he does seem to be a genuine academic in a relevant field, I get the sense of the focus being on him and the (ostensible) brilliance of his work, not on the work itself as a contribution to the overall field.  And, though I'm not seeing anything definitive, there are phrasings in the available excerpts of this book that suggest he's trying to shore up the largely-discredited idea of continuity/survival from ancient times.

While the info on Hecate may be fine, you probably won't find anything in this book that you won't
find in more scholarly sources - a look at the index suggests that
Theoi.com alone might well tell you as much or more.

If you're referring to another book (I found three others with similar titles, though this was the
only one with the exact title you give in the subject line), an author name or a link would be helpful.

Sunflower

that was the book yes'thanks for your reply.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)