The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 12:41:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 12:41:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you guys really think love spells work?  (Read 62177 times)
r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am
United States United States

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 03, 2011, 01:05:07 am »

This is a discussion, not a request. I want to know if you guys truly believe in love spells. I sort of on the fence with this. I've seen love spells that simply bring "romance" in your life, and that I can wrap my mind around. Then there's love spells that focus around a particular person. That, I have a harder time grasping, only because we all know that we can't bend another's will with magic.

And even if you do a love spell just to bring romance in your life, what if something goes wrong and instead of romance, you just get loves of sexual advances? That could happen.

So now it's story time. Have love spells ever worked for you or someone you know?

I'm on the right track, baby.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 03, 2011, 01:15:19 am »

This is a discussion, not a request. I want to know if you guys truly believe in love spells. I sort of on the fence with this. I've seen love spells that simply bring "romance" in your life, and that I can wrap my mind around. Then there's love spells that focus around a particular person. That, I have a harder time grasping, only because we all know that we can't bend another's will with magic.

And even if you do a love spell just to bring romance in your life, what if something goes wrong and instead of romance, you just get loves of sexual advances? That could happen.

So now it's story time. Have love spells ever worked for you or someone you know?

I never did any love spells, but here are my thoughts:

Spells that invite romance into one's life without any one particular in mind might work without any problems.  But if you cast a spell saying "I want This Person to love me with all hir heart," and it somehow works, then you have crossed into rather unethical territory at the very least.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 03, 2011, 07:01:12 am »

Have love spells ever worked for you or someone you know?

Yes. Or I could just be lucky. Either way.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 03, 2011, 08:20:57 am »

Yes, I've seen some work over the years. Including a couple where the caster ended up wishing they had not worked.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 03, 2011, 08:56:39 am »

... because we all know that we can't bend another's will with magic.
We do?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 03, 2011, 09:06:23 am »

No, I don't think spells have any external effect, I think they just change the perspective of the person casting them. Maybe if someone casts a love spell, they will have more confidence to speak to someone they are attracted to and will perceive that as the effect of the spell, if that's what you  mean by "work".
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 03, 2011, 09:12:10 am »

We do?

Teach me the secrets of the dark side, Master!

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 03, 2011, 09:15:24 am »

No, I don't think spells have any external effect, I think they just change the perspective of the person casting them. Maybe if someone casts a love spell, they will have more confidence to speak to someone they are attracted to and will perceive that as the effect of the spell, if that's what you  mean by "work".

That's not the only way a love spell could 'work' (assuming it does work). Quite apart from talking to a person, you need to meet people first, and the spell can kick in that way by increasing the chances of meeting Mr/Mrs Right (Now).

r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 03, 2011, 09:48:24 am »

Teach me the secrets of the dark side, Master!

Yeah, I second that.

I'm on the right track, baby.
Kautilya
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 03:12:23 pm

Religion: Discordian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 03, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »

I want to know if you guys truly believe in love spells.

Nope.

But then, I don't believe any kind of spells work in the first place, except by using psychological short-cuts to make the brain more receptive to certain focuses (which can be replicated through other methods).  So I'm probably not the best person to answer this.

Valour produces peace; peace, repose; repose, disorder; disorder, ruin; so from disorder order springs; from order virtue, and from this, glory and good fortune.
- Machiavelli, A History of Florence
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 03, 2011, 02:59:37 pm »

There's a big difference between shouldn't and can't.

I definitely believe it's possible to shape and adjust someone's will, interest, desire, and actions for them. I just think it's both unethical and generally a really stupid decision anyway. (both because there's a lot more ways it can go wrong, and because you can't be sure that the person in question is really going to be the right partner for you.)

(Also, people are susceptible to varying degrees to that kind of working: I think it's definitely possible to affect the majority of people outside of their will, but that it takes a combination of skill, practice, and strong desire to do it. Most people don't have that, so it's more likely to flop. On the other hand, it's much much easier to affect yourself, and it's a lot more reliable, because you have a lot more information about yourself.)

So, stories...

Never have done a love spell that affects someone, because I learned from my teachers' mistakes. Two of them had, at various points, done specific love spells. In one case (from someone who had other ethics issues, it turned out), it was a specific targetted spell, and it ended up with the other person obsessing about him to an incredible degree (stalking behavior, that kind of thing.) That's a pretty common response from other conversations I've had about the topic.

The other one (someone much more ethical) has done workings that have a specific idea of a target (qualities, characteristics, limits, etc), but aren't fixing on a particular known individual. (He ended up doing this for two people - himself, and another trad member. In both cases, they met people they've been with for 5+ years shortly thereafter: the relationships both started in ways that have a lot of coincidences involved to make them work. Both relationships have involved a lot of work and compromise, but are generally pretty awesome.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 03, 2011, 07:17:59 pm »

I think it's definitely possible to affect the majority of people outside of their will, but that it takes a combination of skill, practice, and strong desire to do it.

Just want to add that IME, since I've only done stuff haphazardly what's offset the lack of skill and practice is a connection. There are some people who, no matter how good a time we might have, leave me with the impression that we're just footnotes to each other's narratives. No matter how willing I think they might be, the dabbling I do does squat.

But there are a few people I feel instinctively connected to. And even if they're downright unwilling and currently mad at me, a little bit of dabbling seems to go a long way.

annieroonie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 11:36:10 pm

Religion: Thinking on it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 03, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »

Yes.

The first time I did one, I wasn't doing it with any research. I was in my 20s and only had a minor fascination with Tarot and philosophy. I never thought about witchcraft. I'd been doing things I felt were normal and things my family had done like talking to the world as a confidant. It's hard to explain. I didn't realize how much of what I considered normal was not super common until later and even more recently.

Anyway, the first time went like this: I met a guy and I did not like him at all. We drank at the same pub and ran in the same circles, and at one summer after hours we were the last two standing. I was trying to be a floozy as I had not tried that yet in my life and I figured it'd be easy to bed this guy for a night. Not so. He refused my advances. Ego bruised and decidedly immature, the next day I took a beer he'd made stupid cooing noises about and poured it to the ground shouting my anger at him. It went something like this: "This is for my earth to drink and not the sorry bastard that would have it. Should he ever be so lucky as to have the likes of me again, he'd better bring a ring and a truck load of apologies." And on like that with several more profanities. I didn't think of him again. But he thought of me. A couple of weeks later he was persistent, apologetic and very romantic. We dated for a a long while and married. We were together with papers for 8 years before I realized I could not continue to pretend that his apologies were enough to sustain our relationship. I did think during the relationship a few times that I may have twisted up some bit of fate in a way I should not have. It took years from us both. However, I was not sure that I had actually done a spell as I had not ever consciously done one. And later after looking into herbs and rituals etc. I doubted it again, but realized that I kept looking for ways to disprove something I actually believed deep down.

I was cautious after that of raising my voice in the universe and mixing it up with a dash of action passion. I stayed away from love conjuring completely. Then, more recently, I began to do more in depth personal research into paganism. I had and have no particular draw to any organized religious path save that some Wiccan rituals reflect my own upbringing nicely enough to give me a kind of peace. I was so enamored of this peace and the spell/witchcraft aspects that also reflected my upbringing somewhat that I let my guard down again. How could mixing up something from Cunninghams and my own little kicks in the pants do much of anything, right? I told myself it was all just fun and would be an exercise to open my heart a bit to possibilities. What harm could it do? Plus, I added to my mix the idea that everyone could use a little lovin' and I thought of those who could.

So when the time was right, I whipped around my kitchen crushing, melting, mixing and mushing envisioning all sorts of good lovins for myself and my friends. Exhausted after the last candle pour, I sat down to surf the net. And a text came from a friend before I could read the reddit front page through. I had not heard from her in months and here she was texting me a picture of a man holding a rose and waving hello. She said she'd showed him my online personas and he wanted to take me out. I had to say yes! We dated for about two months before I realized it was only going to be about sex for me. I broke it off so as not to waste his time like I had my ex-husband's. And the other people to whom I gifted the candles and perfumes I created also had action. The marrieds had romps. The singles had booty calls. But none of it lasted. The worst part was that one of the marrieds got pregnant and that did not last either. A miscarriage. It was this last that put me off toying with love spells again. I know it is a common thing and it did not have a severe deleterious effect on the would be parents, but even if the spell was just to get people thinking romantically or sexually, I did not like the idea of that consequence. Even if I could not prove any causal relationship, I felt one.

So yes. I do think love spells can work. And there you have the two stories of my attempts. I wouldn't do a spell for actual mature love. It's not so much that I have some ethical problem (which I do) but more a logical one that stops me. Why would I want a mate who is drawn to me because of a spell cast upon him? There are far more problems with that idea than I can list. 

A side note of discovery in the second attempt: When making candles for any purpose, using a pine cone as a wick works well, and for me at least, acts like a bit of a booster shot if a spell is in the works. It burns hotter and metal containers work better than glass for them. They can also be peeled apart to mix through a candle giving multiple wicking points at it burns down. However, I have no knowledge of any lore about it, nor do I have any idea if doing so would offend a deity. I don't think the pine cones mind. They seem a bit gleeful actually.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 03, 2011, 10:40:22 pm »

In both cases, they met people they've been with for 5+ years shortly thereafter: the relationships both started in ways that have a lot of coincidences involved to make them work. Both relationships have involved a lot of work and compromise, but are generally pretty awesome.)

I'm curious, have these persons told their respective S.O's that they had done spells like that prior to meeting? If so, to your knowledge, were the affected parties upset by that revelation?

I'm honestly not sure how I'd respond that sort of news, I'd like to say I'd be flattered and pleased that the person gave fate a kick in the pants so to speak but IDK...

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 03, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »

I'm curious, have these persons told their respective S.O's that they had done spells like that prior to meeting? If so, to your knowledge, were the affected parties upset by that revelation?

I'm honestly not sure how I'd respond that sort of news, I'd like to say I'd be flattered and pleased that the person gave fate a kick in the pants so to speak but IDK...

If such a spell worked, I think I would be a bit upset because then I would question whether or not the emotion I feel for the guy is "real" (for lack of a better term).  And that's not even touching on various consent issues that may be involved.

But that's just me.  I'm sure others would react differently.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)