The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2020, 04:20:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 04:20:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Simple Vegetarian Lunch Recipes  (Read 20547 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 03, 2011, 07:41:32 pm »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

So, any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 03, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »

Just today I whipped up a stirfry with sugar snap peas, tofu, oyster sauce, and a Szechuan pepper blend from McCormick (which I don't think is available any longer, but someone else surely has something similar--I'm thinking Penzey's, probably). I used my beloved cast iron skillet and some nonstick spray, tossed in the peas and some chopped onion, cubed tofu, a Tbsp of oyster sauce, and cooked it until the peas were a darker green (maybe 5 minutes?) and the tofu heated through. No need for a fancy wok and special tools.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 03, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »

Do you have access to a fridge and microwave?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 04, 2011, 05:54:49 am »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

I've been collecting a few recently, because I need to save money and I'm happy to share. I'm not sure though which ingredients will be as cheap and available in the US as they are here, so brace yourself if some stuff sounds strange...

- Spaghetti with porrige (season with olive oil, chili, salt)
- spaetzle with sauerkraut (not sure you can buy spaetzle in the US)
- risotto with chili and garlic (use 'milk-rice' and fry it in a pan together with the spices, water it every few minutes)
- potatoes and curd cheese with chive (mix the curd cheese with chive and salt)
- baked feta and zucchini
- lenses with carrots and garlic (you can tell I like garlic)
- tomato soup with creme fraiche or mozarella (easy to make from tomato puree and soup powder)
- apple curd cheese desert (grind an apple and mix it with the curd cheese, sugar and citron juice)
- thuna salad: iceberg letuce, tomatoes, thuna, season with mediterran spices

I'm not an expert, but if you have any questions on any og those short description I'm happy to answer them by explaining my version of the recipe in more detail...

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 11:52:16 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 04, 2011, 06:59:58 am »

- Spaghetti with porrige (season with olive oil, chili, salt)
Language questions here.  I can't figure out what "lenses" would be at all (lentils, maybe Huh), and I'm wondering if, by "porrige" you mean what North Americans would call porridge (oatmeal and other hot cereals - which would indeed, as you warned, sound strange, though not impossible) or something else.

I'm also not sure what "milk-rice" would be, though since you're talking about risotto, I imagine it'd be the kind of rice that's usually used for risotto (Arborio, I think).

I don't think pre-made spaetzle is readily available (specialty stores only, I'd guess), but I seem to recall it being fairly easy to make oneself.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 04, 2011, 07:28:10 am »

I know quite a few. A nice easy one is stuffed peppers. Take a bell pepper and cut in half, removing the core. Dry fry some spring onions and mushrooms (or any other veg you prefer) with garlic, basil and oregano for 2 or 3 minutes till softened. Mix into some cous-cous (either ready flavoured or plain mixed up with vegetable stock) and place the mixture into the pepper halves. Top with a little low fat cheddar and bake in a preheated oven at about 180C for around 20 minutes.

These are great cos they can be eaten immediately or eaten cold later.

I also know a few easy pasta dishes, a recipe for baked Ginger stuffed tomatoes, lots of soups, courgette and red onion salad and a few others. If any of that interests you let me know and I'll elaborate for you Cheesy
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 04, 2011, 08:57:33 am »

Just today I whipped up a stirfry with sugar snap peas, tofu, oyster sauce, and a Szechuan pepper blend from McCormick

Thanks! I will give this a try. We'll see if my local Stop & Shop carries tofu- if not, I'll have to make a trip to Whole Foods.

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 04, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

Do you have access to a fridge and microwave?

Yup! As for ingredients, my local grocery store is a Stop & Shop (I think it's called Giant in most places outside the Northeast) which is pretty basic. I do have access to a Whole Foods market, about an hour away round trip, and I think there are some cultural grocery shops in that area, though I've never paid much attention.

I'm also willing to try anything once!

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 04, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

I also know a few easy pasta dishes, a recipe for baked Ginger stuffed tomatoes, lots of soups, courgette and red onion salad and a few others. If any of that interests you let me know and I'll elaborate for you Cheesy

Oooh, stuffed peppers. I never would have thought of them, even though I love them!

I'm basically willing to try anything- maybe whichever of those is your favorite you could elaborate on? Smiley

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 04, 2011, 09:09:14 am »

- tomato soup with creme fraiche or mozarella (easy to make from tomato puree and soup powder)
- thuna salad: iceberg letuce, tomatoes, thuna, season with mediterran spices

I'm having a few language barrier issues like Sunflower, but the three I quoted sound interesting and hopefully pretty simple! Thanks a bunch! Smiley

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 04, 2011, 09:36:51 am »

I forgot to ask- is there a particular type or brand of tofu you recommend? I took a peek at the wikipedia article and I see a lot of different sorts, so I figured I'd ask. Smiley

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: June 04, 2011, 10:16:26 am »

Language questions here.  I can't figure out what "lenses" would be at all (lentils, maybe Huh), and I'm wondering if, by "porrige" you mean what North Americans would call porridge (oatmeal and other hot cereals - which would indeed, as you warned, sound strange, though not impossible) or something else.

I'm also not sure what "milk-rice" would be, though since you're talking about risotto, I imagine it'd be the kind of rice that's usually used for risotto (Arborio, I think).

I don't think pre-made spaetzle is readily available (specialty stores only, I'd guess), but I seem to recall it being fairly easy to make oneself.

Sunflower

This can happen easily.
I found that esp. names of food or plants can be difficult.
I think she meant 'porree' which is leeks.
And risotto rice should be available in the US too, I guess. Wink
Milk rice is another special rice for well, cooking milk rice.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: June 04, 2011, 10:20:56 am »

I can't figure out what "lenses" would be at all (lentils, maybe Huh),

Oh, forgot this one, yes lentils.
It's the same word in German for Linse - lentil, and Linse - lens, so this can happen easily, if writing down in a hurry. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 04, 2011, 10:34:19 am »

I forgot to ask- is there a particular type or brand of tofu you recommend? I took a peek at the wikipedia article and I see a lot of different sorts, so I figured I'd ask. Smiley

I got these last packages at an Asian market, and the brands are all in kanji. :-) They're the more traditional style, quite dry and solid.

Honestly I don't care much for the "mass market" stuff at the supermarkets. It's too delicate, too wet, and just--not as good, IMO. That said, I've found that one "major brand" is much like the others, so I really can't suggest one that stands out. YMMV of course. You might find that you like the texture and how it cooks, just fine. (I was introduced to tofu by a coworker who'd lived in Taiwan and married a Taiwanese national, so I was spoiled out of the gate, as it were.)

I would perhaps suggest looking for a tofu that's packed in liquid, rather than the "vacuum pack" stuff. The former will almost always be of a firmer texture, better suited to cubing and frying. The other stuff falls to pieces awfully fast, even if it's labeled "extra firm"--which is lovely for making smoothies, but not so great for tossing with veggies in a wok.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 04, 2011, 10:38:58 am »

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to peek around at the different cultural grocery stores in the area and see what they have.

Also: tofu in smoothies?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)